For you shaft gurus, some help please.

lopsta5

Reaction score
Handicap
I play DG Pro shafts in my irons at the moment but I also have a set of Tour Issue S400 shafts I won and was wondering if anyone has played both and can compare them? What are the differences between the two sets apart from the DG Pro ones being progressive, or is that the main difference. Ive been thinking of putting the s400's into my ci11 irons to try them out or maybe sell them to fund a new set of irons.
Thanks for any advice and help about the two sets.

oops wrong thread.

I play DG Pro shafts in my irons at the moment but I also have a set of Tour Issue S400 shafts I won and was wondering if anyone has played both and can compare them? What are the differences between the two sets apart from the DG Pro ones being progressive, or is that the main difference. Ive been thinking of putting the s400's into my ci11 irons to try them out or maybe sell them to fund a new set of irons.
Thanks for any advice and help about the two sets.

Have you hit standard DG S300?

I could be wrong but I believe tour issue s400 is basically s300 but with touch heavier weight? Dg pro are progressive set with help getting long irons airborne and short irons with lower launch

Are the two totally different? Would the s400 be no good for an amateur as I see a lot of pro's using them. Are they similar to the s300's Dan?

I don't ever recall hitting them. My ci11's had some TT DX shafts or something.

Your best bet is to find a cart with S300 and make your decision based on that. In my personal experience S400 share similar properties except that they are a few grams heavier. For most golfers, I really don't see how playing 130+ is a good thing, but some people need that weight.

As it relates to the 'tour issue' part, I think that is simply a reflection of the consistencies of each shaft throughout the set being VERY similar to one another.

Are the two totally different? Would the s400 be no good for an amateur as I see a lot of pro's using them. Are they similar to the s300's Dan?

Some, but certainly not all. But also keep in mind that pros swing very consistent, fast, with great execution.

They are notably different from DG Pro, but I believe moreso as it progresses to the long irons, and it relates specifically to being able to elevate the ball.

The few data sets I have looked at in the past say the S300/400 will be stiffer throughout the shaft - butt to tip. The profiles between the DG and DG Pro are similar. Wish I could provide more info, but that's all I got :)

They aren't black magic shafts or anything. You seem to hit the ball well from what I've read and I'm sure you'll find them perfectly fine, though maybe not optimal. That's all a fitting issue of course. Weight comes down to working well with your tempo.

I've hit them in a set of irons and didn't find any issues pop up in terms of ball height and distance were pretty normal for the iron type they were in. You outpace me in swing speed if I remember correctly.

Biggest difference will be the Pros are designed to help elevate the longer irons.

The DG Pro and Dynamic Gold are significantly different. The DG Pro is designed to help elevate the long irons (and the mid irons a little as well) while the DG is designed to keep everything down. If you like the flight of the DG Pro you may not be too happy with the Dynamic Gold in the long irons.

As for the S3 vs S400, the S400 will be just ever so slightly heavier and slightly stiffer. If you just want to test out Dynamic Gold I would use what you have now and not worry about the S3/S400 difference. If you find you like the flight of Dynamic Gold then you could consider looking at S300 but for many golfers the difference will be indiscernible.

DB

Info straight from the source there. THP is awesome.

Thank you guys for the info. Not being able to test many shafts out I do rely on your wisdom. It is cool to hear from the makers and why I love this place.

I do like the DG Pro shafts I play at the moment, I just thought the tour issue ones were a special shaft that not many get.

Back