Golf Ball Review - Blind Ball Testing

I guess I should say, the golf balls that I got look/feel like B Series balls. I assumed that everybody got the same ball, but I don't know that for sure.

Good catch, but I can confirm that everybody received the same golf balls.

Good catch, but I can confirm that everybody received the same golf balls.
I was just thinking about this! I am so excited about this testing, the unknown factor is awesome!!!

Cover feel like urethane or surlyn?
I am not very good at this and it is hard for me to tell, so I will defer to others if they disagree. But the mystery ball felt more like an e5 than an e6 to me. So urethane, I think.

Gonna be real funny if it's not a Bridgestone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My on course testing was rained out today. I played a little with the test balls on carpet, but my carpet would probably be a 5 on the stimpmeter. I got my 8 year old involved as well and told him we were experimenting. We examined the balls side by side with a current Bridgestone B330-S, Taylormade RBZ Urethane, and a Nike Mojo (I don't have any current E series balls).

All the balls traveled close to the same distance when I tried to recreate the same putting stroke with each ball. I think any variance I saw was most likely from inconsistencies in my stroke. The Mojo might have rolled a little farther, and my son thinks it definitely rolled out further. The test ball and B330-S sounded very similar and were the most muted sounding ball off my putter. The RBZ Urethane was a little louder, or "pitched" as my son would say (whatever that means). While the Mojo was louder than the others. The balls all felt similar when I scratched at them with a fingernail, with the exception of the mojo feeling much harder. I actually put the golf balls between my teeth as someone suggested they do in the sign up thread and honestly couldn't tell the difference between any golf ball I tried this with.

So, what did I learn from this? Not much. But my son and I had fun experimenting anyway. I will get a current model E6 tomorrow and will also get a current version ProV1 and ProV1X when I can get on course.

Just for reference, I've included a picture of the test ball between my normal gamer (RBZ Urethane) and the B330-S that I was testing out on my own before this opportunity came up.

23BF56C2-8316-4745-B596-D7A1BE7E12B7_zpsp3wlrhgf.jpg

2D34706D-2325-43CF-A3FF-977C7DEB648B_zpsi5er3fmg.jpg

Code:
Gonna be real funny if it's not a Bridgestone...

I only compared it to the two e series balls because the mystery ball had so much texture it was hard for me to compare the feel of the cover to the PV1, Hex Black and Q Star (I tried).

It's looking good in here so far! It's gonna be interesting to see which ball they think they are playing.

This is interesting. First glance of the dimples and I thought immediately Bridgestone. .. definitely fun to follow this one

I thought as soon as I seen them that they were Bridgestone but could be wrong. Looking forward to hear the thoughts of the testers.

Good reviews so far. It looks like we may know the manufacturer, but which type of ball?

Looking forward to seeing you guys putting the test balls in play.

I must be honest and say that when I first saw pictures of the ball, it was Bridgestone that sprang to mind for me as well

Will still be interesting to see what they turn out to be, but there are some thoughts forming in my mind that I am going to hang onto until all is revealed and see if they were correct

I took mine out yesterday evening and managed to get in about 12 holes before sunset. I played the ball exclusively and managed not to lose a single one :banana: (which is a small victory in and of itself) but I also think it speaks to the ball’s characteristics. This was a very forgiving ball for me. Not a whole lot of movement in the air on my shots, especially off the driver. I had one drive where I started center and tailed off to the right (a bad swing) but the fade was gentle and I still managed to find the right side rough where I was certainly still in play. Don't get me wrong, I hit some pulls and pushes, but honestly the curvature in the shots was very minimal!

The ball felt good on my irons, quite soft feeling. It didn’t have any problems holding greens but if I had to guess I do not think this is a urethane cover ball?, at least to the touch, so it probably isn’t as great as the more expensive balls in this category but to the average golfer I'm not sure how much difference that is going to make in approaches and around the greens anyway. The ball came out the greenside rough with a good one hop and roll out that I was able to get dialed in fairly well.

Distance was kind of meh, not bad, but nothing extraordinary for me. Middle of the road, seemed shorter than some of the balls I have played. Putting was fine, it’s a soft feel and nice sound. No complaints there.

Interested to get some more time with this ball, including hitting some back to back comparison shots.

Whatever this ball is, I'm kind of digging it. Not bad all at for my first experience with it.

...The ball felt good on my irons, quite soft feeling. It didn’t have any problems holding greens but if I had to guess I do not think this is a urethane cover ball?, at least to the touch, so it probably isn’t as great as the more expensive balls in this category but to the average golfer I'm not sure how much difference that is going to make in approaches and around the greens anyway. The ball came out the greenside rough with a good one hop and roll out that I was able to get dialed in fairly well...

That's interesting. I found the ball in hand/by touch to look and feel exactly like a similar known ball with a urethane cover.

I love seeing some on course feedback.

Are you normally a bigger spinner of the ball, Chase? Was the mystery ball (MB) spinning less than your normal gamer? How was the MB for durability?

I got a current generation E6 today to use for comparison in my testing and wanted to post a picture for comparison. While the current line E series balls do have dual dimple technology, they have the WEB dimple design that only has dual dimples in some of the dimples on the ball.

A761F13D-AECB-48A5-B2E6-17B0C725B975_zpsgnnirnyv.jpg

I must be honest and say that when I first saw pictures of the ball, it was Bridgestone that sprang to mind for me as well

Will still be interesting to see what they turn out to be, but there are some thoughts forming in my mind that I am going to hang onto until all is revealed and see if they were correct

same here. i even told a couple others i was pretty sure these were the bridgestone b330 prototype. not sure which model, but based on looks that was my first thought.

That's interesting. I found the ball in hand/by touch to look and feel exactly like a similar known ball with a urethane cover.

Yep. It did not seem as tacky as the ProV I compared it to. But that is a subjective thing, I don't have anything to back it up other than feel. Now you have me second guessing myself...lol...

I love seeing some on course feedback.

Are you normally a bigger spinner of the ball, Chase? Was the mystery ball (MB) spinning less than your normal gamer? How was the MB for durability?

Not a big spinner of the ball and honestly I couldn't tell much of a difference between it and the Srixon Z-Star (which has the "spin skin" u cover) when it comes to checking the ball up after an iron shot or pitch on the green. So like I mentioned, that probably doesn't make a great deal of difference for me. MB was great for durability. I'll take a picture of the couple I kept in my pocket when I get home from work.

I believe mine have arrived, but I haven't actually been home to get the mail to check. Due to weather, it may be next week before I can actually put them in play, but I will definitely spend some time putting with them on my BirdieBall if the weather is as crappy as predicted. In the meantime, I thought I'd give everyone a quick bit of background:

1. I am not a golf ball snob by any stretch of the imagination. I've always liked ProV1x, but I'll readily admit that my like of it could be totally imagined. In reality, I tend to play whatever I have laying around at the time. Before #TheKing, the last three balls I'd played were Nike OneRZN, Titleist Velocity, and an old Noodle of some sort. Since #TheKing, I've been playing the Chrome Soft (thanks Callaway!) exclusively and like it a lot.

2. Apart from a random e6 I played for a few rounds, I have no experience with Bridgestone balls (which seems to be everyone's guess as to the manufacturer). I couldn't pick out a Bridgestone or any other ball by its dimple pattern, so I will literally be a blank slate as to what I'm playing.

3. I tend to be a high spin player with my driver, but am definitely not a high spin player around the greens. My iron shots typically check up pretty well, but I almost never spin the ball back and I do not play a one hop and check shot.

4. If forced to choose, I would say that I would tend to pick a ball that would give me more distance off the tee than one that will spin around the greens -- probably because I don't really spin my wedges all that much no matter the ball -- but I like what I would term a "softer" feel with the putter (to the extent that you can even tell).

So with that background, if anyone has any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them as soon as I get a chance to put the mystery balls in play.

I am excited to get out this weekend and give this ball a go. I did take it out on the course for a quick 9 on Monday, but lost one on the first hole and decided I needed to try this on a different course.

fingers crossed, hope mine come in the mail today or tomorrow I have a nice stretch of golf coming up!

This is so interesting. I'm hoping that the end of the review will disclose that they're some super cheap balls that are carried everywhere that work really well. It does look like a Bridgestone, which is a ball that I get excited about pulling out of the bag (out of a myriad of golf balls in my bag). How much longer till the big reveal?

I have to admit that I hope the reveal doesn't come for a while.

Can't wait for mine to arrive so I can jump in on this review. Some great early feedback already

Great start to this thread. Definitely a fun and interesting review will take over this thread. I've jotted down some initial projections, now to wait and see if I was correct.

Back