Not teeing it up on par 3's

Depending on the condition of the tee box, I will normally tee it up. If it is a nice tee box then maybe I wouldn't. My dad never tees it up on mar 3's. Half of the time he won't on a par 4 either since he is most likely hitting an iron. He likes to have the ball consistent like he is playing from a fairway. Too each their own.

I use a tee 18 times a round. I am a "sweeper" and having that ball up a little makes all the difference in the world!

I just barely tee it up using a broken tee - I still take a divot though....

I'm like JB I guess. Shorter irons and wedges no tee, anything else gets a tee unless the teebox is really lush :)

At one time I didn't tee anything up. Now I tee up all the time. I like the perfect lie but the tee is really low to the ground.

I recently stopped teeing it up on par 3s. I feel more comfortable hitting my irons off the box without a tee.

I have to agree with JB on this one. For me, personally, I don't tee it up for anything shorter than an 8 iron and divots are always a must for every club. If you can't tee it up in the middle of the fairway for a perfect lie, then why the need to do it on the tee box? Lol

There is no reason NOT to tee it up, with any club.

I'll tee it up but I have it the same height as if it was just laying on the box. Not sure why I do this, guess it's just a mind thing

Welcome to THP!

If I can put it on a tee, I'm gonna. Might as well take advantage of the opportunity to get a perfect lie.

I have to agree with JB on this one. For me, personally, I don't tee it up for anything shorter than an 8 iron and divots are always a must for every club. If you can't tee it up in the middle of the fairway for a perfect lie, then why the need to do it on the tee box? Lol

Because you can. If someone came along and said "for this approach shot, you're allowed to tee it up in the fairway," wouldn't you reach for a tee?

Because you can. If someone came along and said "for this approach shot, you're allowed to tee it up in the fairway," wouldn't you reach for a tee?
I would not. Teeing up a short iron for me can lead to less spin and less control

I think it was Jack Nicklaus
It was Jack Nicklaus that said this and for me who am I to argue with the greatest golfer ever. 18 tee boxes and I always tee it up.

Don't need to tee it up high at all with short irons, but you can use that tee to give yourself an ideal lie. Hybrids all the way down to SW, I'm teeing it, but not up.

I tee that bad boy up any chance I can get.

Obviously there are many opinions on this subject, and none of them are wrong.
Personally, I will tee it up on every tee box and still take a divot with an iron.

I have started not teeing up club from 7 downwards so I replicate fairway conditions. It seems to be working, will roll with it

I tee it up 99% of the time. I tee it down low but I want my perfect lie.

I use a broken tee, and keep it low. Some of the tee boxes are mostly divots. If you dont use a tee, you'll be hitting out of a divot with sand down in it.

Jack

I always use a tee, but if I'm hitting an iron, the ball is sitting right down on the grass on top of the tee.

Nicklaus said to tee it always due to its advantage so take it, you can still make divots on a tee though.

I always tee it up, I need all the help I can get. Most of the tee boxes I play from are far from ideal so that plays into it as well.

I forget who it was, but there was a pretty famous pro who had the same thought. They always teed it up on the par threes even though a good amount of tour pros don't when they get to their shorter irons.

I'm with you though, I always tee up my par 3's.

I think it was Jack Nicklaus

It was Jack Nicklaus that said this and for me who am I to argue with the greatest golfer ever. 18 tee boxes and I always tee it up.

Nicklaus said to tee it always due to its advantage so take it, you can still make divots on a tee though.

"I always felt that air had less resistance than dirt. What puzzles me is when players take a tee, jam it all the way in the ground and then put the ball on top of it. Why is the tee there? You have the opportunity on a par 3 to tee it up, so why not take advantage of that and give yourself the best lie possible.

In the fairway, when the ball sits on the ground, you might hit it thin or fat. But if you tee the ball a little higher on a par 3, you can make more of a sweeping swing, and you've just eliminated the two things you don't want to happen."

Jack Nicklaus

"I always felt that air had less resistance than dirt. What puzzles me is when players take a tee, jam it all the way in the ground and then put the ball on top of it. Why is the tee there? You have the opportunity on a par 3 to tee it up, so why not take advantage of that and give yourself the best lie possible.

In the fairway, when the ball sits on the ground, you might hit it thin or fat. But if you tee the ball a little higher on a par 3, you can make more of a sweeping swing, and you've just eliminated the two things you don't want to happen."

Jack Nicklaus

Well there you go. Thanks, Nate! Cleared that one up haha.

Back