It was impressive

UVaWahoo

Reaction score
Handicap
While I've discussed this in our local thread in another folder, I want to share my thoughts and observation with all. This past weekend, we had what I guess could be labelled a local mini outing. After an extremely enjoyable round with my THP buds, we were sitting around a table in the 19th hole. While I have not had the opportunity to attend a THP event, several of my companions for the day had and were discussed. Needless to say, beyond the fact that all stressed how enjoyable they were, it was something additional that really impressed me, During the discussion, my buds remembered not only the screen names of the people they met and with whom they played but their given names as well. Frankly, I found that impressive. You see, I am good with faces, If I see someone, I can remember that we have met or played together previously, but names escape me. It was like having a drink at Cheers, everyone knows the names, Such tells me that THP events are not only fun, but a venue where genuine friendships are formed. The attendees are more than just faces.

Again, I have not had the opportunity to attend an event. At this snapshot, my wife and I find that we are in the parent/child role reversal stage of our lives, so family circumstances will not let me commit to any current event. But believe me I am chomping at the bit to do so as soon as I can.

I'm like you I guess, I can recognize a face and even a voice. But names lol, it's a lost cause on me, always been bad at that.

I can recognize faces with the best of them, even if I have only seen a picture of someone I'll recognize them in person. But I have no joke forgotten names off the top of my head of people I've known for 10+ years before. Absolutely terrible with names and they escape me often.

But oddly enough something like a THP forum name I can remember better than an actual name. Maybe it's because each are unique, but I know most of the forum names of the people I met at Old Silo, even if I have forgotten some of their actual names. Hopefully I don't end up offending anyone by only remembering their forum name haha. Sorry in advance if I do.

I suck at names, but I can remember a screen name haha. Hope you can make an event sometime in the future. Local outings are great, but man those events are something else.

I am so very bad at both names an faces. I could have lunch with you and then coincidentally run into you in a mall that evening and not recall who I just ran into.
I am married 21 years and not only do I struggle terribly with remembering relatives on my wife's side but I am so bad with it that I have to rely on my wife to tell me the names/faces of distant relatives on "my own side" of the darn family.
I coached little league baseball for years and every kid on the team was "sonny" cause I couldn't remember the names till like the last game of the year. And forget about remembering the parents names.
The whole thing can get quite embarrassing . My wife however, is gifted at remembering names and faces. She (at 49) can coincidentally bump into someone she went to 5th grade with and know who it is. Its mindboggling to me.

However , as terrible as I am with names and faces for some strange reason I can remember peoples old phone numbers like a genius. But nowadays with electronic devices (cel phones) there is just no need to remember them so by default I have lost some of that trait or at least have little use for it.

I used to be excellent with name recall. I've kind of lost that ability over hrs years.

To Wahoos point about real name and screen names. One thing that I believe makes it easier to remember the names of THP members is we freely refer to both real names and screen names on here.

Say there was a rule against that and we could not use real names. For me it would have been tougher at my first event to put the two names together.

By the time I got to Palm Beach...I had known for almost a year Dawg Daddy is Randy.

So when we teed it up the first morning right after meeting for the first time I didn't have to remember his name.

The same bring followed suit for pretty much everyone all weekend.

One thing that was fun to watch was as people introduced theirselves by real name to Morgan in the game room. she almost immediately said....oh you're CAA_Beat or whoever it was.

I'm not sure but I think she nailed them all, at least while I was around

Best introduction of rhe weekend was

"I'm Pudge on the forum. My name is Pudge". Ha couldn't mess that one up.

SaA

It took a while for me to know and remember names on a local fishing site I frequent. Well I used to frequent. Actually some of the guys that I even knew their names were stored in my phone under their screen names. LOL It just seemed easier.

I don't know many peoples names on here. There are a few that I knew, but they aren't around here anymore.

I get more bro-hugs at THPer get-togethers than I get family-hugs at Thanksgiving.

As I have said about remembering names and forum names, I am in my late 60's and love going to events and meeting people. Some of those people I meet for the second or third time as I have a hard time remembering even my own name at times.
oldman.gif

Back