Forgiving hybrid without a draw bias

Chump Fries

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm looking for a good hybrid recommendation for a better player (at least I think I'm a better player) that doesn't have draw bias, but is also forgiving. My X2 Hot with the tour green shaft is great, but I can really send it left if I put a bad swing on it. My current thought is the Srixon ZH45 hybrid if I can get a Tour Green shaft in it.

Would the Adam's DHY or the Adam's Red fit this?

Cleveland Altitude
XR Pro

I'll second the XR Pro if you're looking for new.

Bridgestone J40 / J15? (not sure on offset here)
Callaway X2 Hot Pro/XR Pro
Adams Pro

I'm curious to go try out the XR Pro. I'm not sure how I'll like the smaller head, but that club has such a hot face, that it may not be an issue.

913/915

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I will be that guy. Fix the swing flaw and you can play any hybrid.

I have the xr pro 18°. I have a history of issues going left. That's rarely a problem for me with this club. It does have some offset so your swing is going to continue to be an issue if you don't compensate for it or fix it but that can be said about any club.

True, but it doesn't make sense to play a draw biased club if you already hit a draw (and vice versa). The hybrid has been my least favorite club in the last 6 months. All of my other clubs I can swing with controlled freedom. I feel like i have to hold off my hybrid to keep from going too far left. Really considering putting the 3 iron back in the bag, but I like the height I get from the hybrid when I do hit it well. I'm searching for the hybrid that gives me the happies when I swing it :)

I do agree with you. There is a scale however, fix the flaw that is causing the issue, or try make equipment work with the flaw. The glorious part of modern equipment is that we might be able to achieve the latter.

However, it isn't the hybrid causing the hooks.

True, but it doesn't make sense to play a draw biased club if you already hit a draw (and vice versa). The hybrid has been my least favorite club in the last 6 months. All of my other clubs I can swing with controlled freedom. I feel like i have to hold off my hybrid to keep from going too far left. Really considering putting the 3 iron back in the bag, but I like the height I get from the hybrid when I do hit it well.

I speak from being in the same position as you. Hybrid for a long time was a crippled club for me because my tendency to go left was exacerbated when I pulled the hybrid. I tried club after club, trying to find something to fix it in some way. The Adams Pro helped but I still overcooked it more often then not until I put the work in to fix my issue.

Buying clubs is awesome, I love it. But I would hate to see you get frustrated looking for the holy grail when it's not there. In my experience anyway.

913/915

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I still need to try one of these. To date I have not hit a Titleist hybo. I've loved their fairways and drivers though.

I use to have the same issue with hybrids that you do, yes part of it was me but since I got the adams pro I love pulling hybrid.
You can get a new one for really cheap right now. Prob cant a used one for under $50

True, but it doesn't make sense to play a draw biased club if you already hit a draw (and vice versa). The hybrid has been my least favorite club in the last 6 months. All of my other clubs I can swing with controlled freedom. I feel like i have to hold off my hybrid to keep from going too far left. Really considering putting the 3 iron back in the bag, but I like the height I get from the hybrid when I do hit it well. I'm searching for the hybrid that gives me the happies when I swing it :)

I speak from being in the same position as you. Hybrid for a long time was a crippled club for me because my tendency to go left was exacerbated when I pulled the hybrid. I tried club after club, trying to find something to fix it in some way. The Adams Pro helped but I still overcooked it more often then not until I put the work in to fix my issue.

Buying clubs is awesome, I love it. But I would hate to see you get frustrated looking for the holy grail when it's not there. In my experience anyway.

Makes sense to me. I was ready to give up on my Big Bertha 3 wood until I got fit a few weeks ago. Put the Aldila Tour Green shaft in it and now you can't pry it from my hands. I currently have a big gap between my 4 iron (200 yards) and my 3 hybrid (230 yards), so I need to switch to a 4 hybrid anyway to bring that gap down. Here's to finding the right one :)

I do agree with you. There is a scale however, fix the flaw that is causing the issue, or try make equipment work with the flaw. The glorious part of modern equipment is that we might be able to achieve the latter.

However, it isn't the hybrid causing the hooks.

Agreed, but I do have to fight the club from going too far left unlike my other clubs where I can swing much more freely. My free swing on my hybrid produces about a 15-20 yard draw and just a slight 0-5 yard draw on my other woods.

Agreed, but I do have to fight the club from going too far left unlike my other clubs where I can swing much more freely. My free swing on my hybrid produces about a 15-20 yard draw and just a slight 0-5 yard draw on my other woods.

No worries man. You don't have to convince me. I was speaking more in generalities. There are plenty of options for hybrids with little to no draw bias.

No worries man. You don't have to convince me. I was speaking more in generalities. There are plenty of options for hybrids with little to no draw bias.
But I do have to convince you :) because this is the internet and stuff :D

Just one thing to note is that offset does not necessarily mean a draw based club. Just as onset, does not necessarily mean a fade based club.

Just one thing to note is that offset does not necessarily mean a draw based club. Just as onset, does not necessarily mean a fade based club.

Yep. I'm just going to have to go to the store and hit around for a bit. I really wish we had a better golf store near Tupelo. Our local Dicks doesn't have its pro anymore or much of a selection, one golf store's hitting bay is a backroom with a net (no launch monitor or anything), and the other places is (we'll just say) uninviting (and doesn't usually have hybrid demos). I have to go to Memphis (about a 2 hour drive) to really be able to try stuff out.

A good starting point is to look for the ones with the least amount of offset. Good luck.

But I do have to convince you :) because this is the internet and stuff :D

Oh you need an new hybrid. Not because of draws or fades. But because new clubs are fun.

A good starting point is to look for the ones with the least amount of offset. Good luck.

I do agree with JB on the idea of offset.

I'm guessing we have similar swings based on your shaft selections (Tour Green and DG S300). Like you, I've felt that I have to hold off on my hybrid. That being said, I would suggest looking at the Mizuno MP-H4. Not technically a hybrid - it is really an iron with more mass - but talk about confidence inspiring! Also, being an iron, I feel like I can drive it, play a choke-down, high fade, etc. Add the Mizuno feel and...

As for pure hybrids, the 913 is really easy to hit and can be adjusted open. Tour Edge CB series are open 1 or 2 degree, I believe. Not terribly forgiving but a cheap option for a company known for fairways and hybrids.

Back