2014 Golf Digest Hot List

jlukes

Reaction score
It's that time of year again. The drivers and fairway wood lists are already up on the Golf Digest site and the full issue should be in stores shortly.

Thought we could keep all hot list discussion to one thread. Should be a doozy.

I think the same of it as I always have, very little. It's good for pictures but that's it for me.

I think the same of it as I always have, very little. It's good for pictures but that's it for me.

Exactly. This does nothing for me.

Spoiler alert:

Spoiler
Almost every thing is gold

Yep never been a fan of the GD hotlist. Same thoughts and results every year, far from the kind of equipment reviews that I find helpful.

JetSpeed driver has 5 star demand rating. That should tell you everything you need to know

They do a great job at putting the press release info into one paragraph.

It's always nice to see who has purchased the most advertising space in Golf Digest. It has become so predictable as to what stuff will get gold medals, but customers keep bringing it in to my store and looking for those products because of the Hot List.

My buddy is the GM at a large golf store and even he is fed up with the Hot List this year.

same here, thats about it

And let's be honest, their pictures suck compared to the ones you and other THP reviewers take

If you get the Golf Digest Stix emails every Wednesday, then you've already seen the ratings for every category. If someone wants me to post all of them up here, I can do that at some point.

TM is already running ads that the SLDR driver was the first driver ever to get 5 stars across the board.

I'm with most people. I don't read a word, just look at the pretty pictures.

5 star SLDR. enough said.

They list the Big Bertha Fairway wood at $300 and notes is the most expensive Callaway Fairway Wood to make the Hot List.

Someone should let them know that it is only $269

Pretty pictures for when I am on the can.

TM is already running ads that the SLDR driver was the first driver ever to get 5 stars across the board.

Pretty impressive, considering that TM basically paid for the 5 star rating. :bulgy-eyes:

Not a knock on the equipment companies at all, it makes sense for them to get their stuff in there because so many people read this stupid thing as gospel. I know, because I used to, until I found THP that is.

Cobra's hot list was pretty awesome last year....Those who read the magazine will understand.

I bet every driver is "a bomber, when straight everytime." The fairway woods were "rocket launchers!" And the hybrids were "so easy to hit. It feels like cheating." And despite their excellent feel and performance, the Ping irons really should be forged.

They actually say the SLDR driver should be more adjustable while the SLDR fairway wood should be less adjustable

What?

It is so bad but it really isn't intended for us, as we are not average consumers.

Pretty impressive, considering that TM basically paid for the 5 star rating. :bulgy-eyes:

And you know this as a fact that the rating is simply because they paid for it?

Or you know, it could be a really great driver warranting the rating...

I always think they maybe one day they will release a real list with real testing....I'm 31 so I give them 50years to do this

Golf Magazine club testing is a much better read than the hot list

And you know this as a fact that the rating is simply because they paid for it?

Or you know, it could be a really great driver warranting the rating...

I'm not saying that it isn't a great driver, because it is. I'm saying that the Hot List is a crap rating system that tends to give higher ratings to companies that spend a lot on advertising through their "demand" criteria. The ones you see with the most commercial/ad presence always get high scores in this category. So they didn't directly hand money to Golf Digest to get a high score, but the simple fact that they create huge demand for TM gear through heavy advertising gave them a high demand score. I don't think that an equipment review should take into account how popular something is in scoring how good of a piece of equipment it is. Which is why I love THP reviews: THP is just as likely to give the SLDR a great rating (which they did) compared to something way under the radar like the Yonex EZone, which lost points for demand in the Hot List and therefore was bumped down to a silver.

It's not a knock against the company or their gear (I love TM gear), it's a knock on the Hot List.

Back