2014 Golf Digest Hot List

I actually like reading it. I don't put any stock in it at all but being honest here, I still enjoy it if that makes sense.

I like reading it, don't really pay much attention to it though....never know until you hit it yourself. Most of the drivers on there received pretty similar reviews here too, I'd say it's quite possible there are more than a few that would be considered "Gold Star" quality....I don't see why GD's view on the same equipment is so scrutinized.

A list like this is going to be tainted because they will not totally kill a big advertisers marquee product release for the season. Enough said

A list like this is going to be tainted because they will not totally kill a big advertisers marquee product release for the season. Enough said

Precisely.

You have to remember that we, the more educated and informed golf consumer, are not the target for this list. There are people that will buy based solely in the list, and that pretty sad.

I will look at and read the list, and actually put a little stock into it until just a little over a year ago (THP anniversary earlier this month). I also used it to see some of the lesser known (to me anyway) manufacturers and their offerings.
Will I read it this year? I am sure I will. If I have some concerns or questions, I will come here to get a much more unbiased opinion.

I remember the TM guy that played with us at Mission Inn talking about how pumped they were about the SLDR getting such good ratings from the Hot List. Didn't sound like a guy that knew it was going to happen or that it had been purchased. But I don't really pay much attention to the Hot List. I'll read it, of course, but THP is a much better place to find out info on what equipment is good. That's how I found it in the first place.

You have to remember that we, the more educated and informed golf consumer, are not the target for this list. There are people that will buy based solely in the list, and that pretty sad.

I agree. Just went to the Golf Galaxy website and they are the "official retailer of the 2014 Hot List". Also offering free shipping from the list. It's become the ultimate sales pitch for the average golfer who just wants a new club(s) in the bag.

Did I make the hot list?

Haven't checked yet....

I think you were like 9th. Top Ten Baby !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So in the end the SLDR got a perfect score because they bought more advertising? and here I honestly thought it was worthy of it's rating, with the stock shaft it's one of the best drivers I've ever hit.

Cookie is better looking though.

And I can vouch for Marc saying it's one of the best drivers he's ever hit. Man can hit it a country mile with the SLDR.

I think both you and TNTCigarguy made the hot list!

I think Trevor is awesome, but after seeing Trevina, the Hot List is definitely not the list he is on. :)

I give GD Hot List about as much consideration as I give the National Inquirer reporting news.

I'll give them credit for their riff on the Altitudes:

"No need for a table at the 19th hole after a round: The topline on these is wide enough to serve a tray of drinks."

A little late to the party, but just read the list and wanted to chime in. This is the first hot list since I've been an informed consumer, and had my eyes opened in a rather large way. A lot of clubs that get great reviews from THP were middle of the road on the hot list, and it really makes me question GD's motives with the list.

Yeah I agree. I'd much prefer to see a rating system where every driver is judged against the best in that category.
Giving 10 different drivers a "GOLD" rating pretty much makes the entire list completely useless does it not?

Wanted to comment on this though. Whenever someone comes into the forums asking about clubs, do we ever say "go pick out a big bertha, it's the best for everyone"? No, we tell them to get fit because pretty much any club from an OEM might fit them. Seems there is a lot of parity in the golf equipment industry, and I think you're seeing that reflected in the host list.

Golf Magazine's Top 23 Drivers appears less biased? They identify all the testers and details of their swings. THP reviews and member's inputs are the must read before I make any equipment purchase.

This is very similar to what goes on the Cigar industry now. Really at the end of the day Cigar Aficionado top 25 is a joke to real smokers but it sells a ton of product to the guys that are voted to the top and gets new people involved. I look at this in the exact same light. It is selling equipment for the Manufactures and helping bring new people into golf.

I think any niche industry kind of runs into this (craft beer has the same problem) where demand gets equal footing with actual performance. And demand is created through excitement about the product, which is generated through advertising and good showings at critical events. Showing at critical events involves spending money and creating excitement about your product. It's a vicious cycle that freezes out smaller manufacturers. Your product might be revolutionary, or at least really good, and you'll still get no love because you just haven't generated enough "buzz." In the case of golf, that means getting the product into the hands of pros (which requires money to sign them to sponsorship contracts) and advertising (which also requires money). The result? The same companies win and max out the "demand" category because they have money. They have money because they've invested a ton in advertising in magazines and paid players to bag their products. Then people buy their product based on seeing what a great score they got in those magazines and the fact that many golfers buy things based on what that magazine says. The end result is the magazine looks self-serving and too many golfers end up with gear that doesn't suit them...leading them back to the magazine for more gear info. It's a lot of vicious cycles.

It also tends to push certain narrative because what the critic seeks in an item is often contrary to what even the average aficionado enjoys (in the case of beer, IPA's stopped being about a hoppy well-balanced beer and became a contest to see who can make the bitterest beer possible).

My father, who's a much bigger cigar smoker than I am, described critically acclaimed cigars as "a brick with a habano wrapper to the side of the head." All balance or nuance forgotten in favor of potency.

Like or not, the hot list sells clubs. I just had a buddy who has all Cleveland clubs ask me about the new Big Bertha and X2Hot drivers. When I asked him if he was going to try the new Cleveland drivers he replied "they aren't on the hot list, so the must not be any good". Sad but true.

That happens a lot and its going to continue. We all know here what are some of the best clubs out there and especially to go get fitted so they fit to you. Say I use to be that way to and I am glad I found THP so I can find the real knowledge of us Hackers on what the best clubs are.
Like or not, the hot list sells clubs. I just had a buddy who has all Cleveland clubs ask me about the new Big Bertha and X2Hot drivers. When I asked him if he was going to try the new Cleveland drivers he replied "they aren't on the hot list, so the must not be any good". Sad but true.

Golf Magazine's Top 23 Drivers appears less biased? They identify all the testers and details of their swings. THP reviews and member's inputs are the must read before I make any equipment purchase.

I see the hot list and think sales. I see reviews from the guys here and think ok, that sounds good. Maybe it's because I'm a member here but I trust the reviews from people on this board more than those in most magazines.

Tapping Away

I read today that the manufacturers actually have to pay golf Digest fees to use advertise that they won a medal. Thus, golf Digest essentially is better off giving out more and more gold medals because that means more and more manufacturers pay them to advertise that they won something

Just received my monthly issue of GolfDigest and skipped past the Hot List. Just way better reviews here at THP where marketing doesn't trump on course reviews.

Just received my monthly issue of GolfDigest and skipped past the Hot List. Just way better reviews here at THP where marketing doesn't trump on course reviews.

Between the hot list and the ads what did you manage to read?

Between the hot list and the ads what did you manage to read?

Table of Contents :)

Been pondering the last year why I even subscribe anymore.

Back