#TheHandCraftedExperience Travel / Extra Rounds and Activities Thread

SkiBumGolfer

Tremendous slouch
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Figured I'd start this, since I've been thinking a bunch about it and I'm sure others have as well. We can use this first post to track folks' travel plans, and who's interested in trying to get some extra rounds in or other activities. I'll also duplicate whatever info is provided on hotels from JB/441.

Tried to get what we already know in here, but let me know if you'd like me to update anything.

Itineraries:
Awkward Silence: 8/20 AM - 8/22 PM (driving)
Galen Marek: 8/20 AM - 8/22 PM
StanTheCaddy: 8/19 11:00 PM - 8/23
cpljohnst: 8/18 PM - 8/23 AM
SkiBumGolfer: 8/19 10 PM - 8/23 10 AM
chumphries: 8/18 6:25 PM - 8/23 10:25 AM
Spivey: 8/19 AM - 8/22 AM (driving)

Hotel info/rosters:

Hotel nights (Suite #):
8/19: cpljohnst (1), chumphries (1), Spivey (1), SkiBumGolfer (2), StanTheCaddy (2)
8/20: cpljohnst (1), chumphries (1), Spivey (1), Awkward silence (1), SkiBumGolfer (2), StanTheCaddy (2), Galen Marek (2)
8/21: cpljohnst (1), chumphries (1), Awkward silence (1), SkiBumGolfer (2), StanTheCaddy (2), Galen Marek (2)
8/22: cpljohnst (1), chumphries (1), SkiBumGolfer (2), StanTheCaddy (2)

TOTAL HOTEL COST PER PERSON
cpljohnst, 4 nights, $405.11
chumphries, 4 nights, $405.11
Spivey, 2 nights, $171.02
Awkward silence, 2 nights, $171.02
SkiBumGolfer, 4 nights, $405.11
StanTheCaddy, 4 nights, $405.11
Galen Marek, 2 nights, $171.02

Car?
Awkward Silence: Own (driving in Thurs, small vehicle, cannot give rides)
Galen Marek: Own (driving in Thurs)
StanTheCaddy: No (rides)
cpljohnst: Rental
SkiBumGolfer: No (rides)
chumphries: No (rides)
Spivey: Own (driving in Wed)

Project X Address: True Temper Grafalloy, 9401 Waples St. #140, San Diego, CA 92121

Tee Time Info
Torrey Pines South - 2:30 PM, Wed 8/19
alez367 (ride)
cpljohnst (walk)
chumphries (ride)
Spivey (walk)

Torrey Pines North #1 - 7:30 AM, Sat 8/22
alez367 (ride)
SkiBumGolfer (walk)
cpljohnst (walk?)
chumphries (ride)

Torrey Pines North #2 - 7:37 AM, Sat 8/22
StanTheCaddy (ride)
Awkward silence (ride)
ken_h (?)
Galen Marek (?)

Torrey Pines South - 2:30 PM, Sat 8/22
sandiegonative (walk)
SkiBumGolfer (walk)
StanTheCaddy (ride)
chumphries (ride)

Last edited:
Ryan,

I'm open to sharing car, hotel as well. Note that I can snore like a mother, so keep that in mind! Just ask Ole Gray, and Sparks Jr. I do bring earplugs for those I room with! (New even! ha)

I can likely get a discount on rental car and on hotel room, depending on where we stay

I'll not be in for any extra golf, sorry dudes. Working this one in around the baby already has me in hot water!

I'll not be in for any extra golf, sorry dudes. Working this one in around the baby already has me in hot water!

No worries man, totally understand! Glad to have you along, extra rounds or not!

Ryan,

I'm open to sharing car, hotel as well. Note that I can snore like a mother, so keep that in mind! Just ask Ole Gray, and Sparks Jr. I do bring earplugs for those I room with! (New even! ha)

I can likely get a discount on rental car and on hotel room, depending on where we stay

Haha I do remember Rancey talking about your wood chopping prowess :alien: We can figure it out. Let's just make sure you room with the heavy sleepers!

Discounts always appreciated :D What chains can you get discounts thru?

Haha I do remember Rancey talking about your wood chopping prowess :alien: We can figure it out. Let's just make sure you room with the heavy sleepers!

Discounts always appreciated :D What chains can you get discounts thru?

I'm able to get discounts at most hotels since I'm in the industry. Subject to availability of course, and then usually only for one or at most 2 rooms.
I may opt to use Hilton points if we stay in any of their brands.

I'm able to get discounts at most hotels since I'm in the industry. Subject to availability of course, and then usually only for one or at most 2 rooms.
I may opt to use Hilton points if we stay in any of their brands.

Very cool. Once we hear what JB/441 have to say on hotels, we can get a little better idea where we might be crashing.

I have a buddy that opens doors with his snoring and I have roomed with him. So I for one wouldnt mind (granted I used earplugs).

off topic but is anyone else pondering a new driver head to match this new awesome shaft we about to create? I know i am haha

off topic but is anyone else pondering a new driver head to match this new awesome shaft we about to create? I know i am haha

I would be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about picking up a 915D2 head hehe :angel:

#TheHandCraftedExperience Travel / Extra Rounds and Activities Thread

I am thinking B'stone J815. Loved hitting it at Mission Inn.

Travel - I will be driving in Wed night.
And I am a light sleeper - I cannot do snoring. I tried earplugs, they work a little. Sorry to sound a little prissy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travel - I will be driving in Thurs night.

Wed night you mean? It begins Thur morning.

Yeah. Edited. Thanks.

Travel - I will be driving in Wed night.
And I am a light sleeper - I cannot do snoring. I tried earplugs, they work a little. Sorry to sound a little prissy.

Man I want to hit the J815 so bad. Can't find them around here.

Thanks man. No worries on the light sleeper, that's what this thread is for. Noted in first post.

I'm trying to get my flights planned out, but I need to figure one thing first. Is everyone pretty much thinking Torrey on Saturday, or are there some of you who were thinking about possibly flying in a little early to do it Wednesday? I could possibly entertain the idea if there are a few others thinking the same thing. Otherwise, it would be easier to fly in Wed evening.

I can be flexible and arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll go with whatever the majority want to do regarding Torrey - Wed or Sat. My only thoughts were it might be easier to get on the course on a Wednesday versus a Saturday, but OK with either.

I can be flexible and arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll go with whatever the majority want to do regarding Torrey - Wed or Sat. My only thoughts were it might be easier to get on the course on a Wednesday versus a Saturday, but OK with either.

This is kinda what I was thinking, plus the South Course will become significantly more affordable. Hell, I'd entertain playing the South Wednesday afternoon and the North Saturday morning.

Again though, that's only if some others could make it happen though. Sounds like Barry is interested, could anyone else swing it? I have to figure out if I could even swing the extra vaca day, but the idea sure sounds nice.

After checking out my vacation time and trips after the event I wont be able to do a wed. Would love to, but at the same time I am going to playing Torrey for my birthday in November as its only about 2 hours from mi casa.

This is kinda what I was thinking, plus the South Course will become significantly more affordable. Hell, I'd entertain playing the South Wednesday afternoon and the North Saturday morning.

Again though, that's only if some others could make it happen though. Sounds like Barry is interested, could anyone else swing it? I have to figure out if I could even swing the extra vaca day, but the idea sure sounds nice.

I think we could work out the south course on Wednesday

I might be able to swing a Wed afternoon round at Torrey Pines, probably not Wed AM. I will know more in a few days/weeks

I might be able to swing a Wed afternoon round at Torrey Pines, probably not Wed AM. I will know more in a few days/weeks

I'm with you, if we did Wednesday it would definitely be afternoon, earliest I can fly out is Wednesday AM.

I'll update first post, sounds like we've got at least 3 folks willing to entertain Wed PM, and an San Diegan to help get us on.

4 interested parties in a possible Wednesday round. Somebody talk me into taking the extra day off work! Lol I've got an itinerary that seems to make good sense, though I'd need to know what time to be in town by on Wednesday if we wanted to get in a twilight round. There's a 7AM flight from Seattle direct, but it takes me an hour and a half to drive to Seattle, so I'd be looking at getting up before 4AM to make that sucker. :banghead:

4 interested parties in a possible Wednesday round. Somebody talk me into taking the extra day off work! Lol I've got an itinerary that seems to make good sense, though I'd need to know what time to be in town by on Wednesday if we wanted to get in a twilight round. There's a 7AM flight from Seattle direct, but it takes me an hour and a half to drive to Seattle, so I'd be looking at getting up before 4AM to make that sucker. :banghead:

Torrey Pines - rates for the South Course:
Weekday: $183 Weekday twilight $110
Weekend: $229. Weekend twilight $137

Twilight times start at 2:30pm for the time frame we are looking at based on 2014.

Torrey Pines - rates for the South Course:
Weekday: $183 Weekday twilight $110
Weekend: $229. Weekend twilight $137

Twilight times start at 2:30pm for the time frame we are looking at based on 2014.

Perfect - so for the earliest possible twilight times, we'd probably want to be in San Diego by 11:30 or so to allow time to pick up clubs, rental cars, and drive up in questionable traffic.

How did I miss this thread?!

My plans so far:
Flight: I can leave super early Wednesday AM (6:00) AM flight out of Memphis or Birmingham and get to SD around 11:00 AM local time. I'm planning on leaving Sunday AM to leave a full day of activities on Saturday.

Hotel: I'm interested in sharing a room (especially if anyone is staying Wednesday through Sunday or even Saturday). I'm game for either Hilton brands or IHG (Holiday inn stuff) because I can get points for either unless Barry can get us the hook up somewhere else. I'm fine with booking the room and letting my room sharer just pay me his portion directly.

Looks like there are enough of us game for earliest Torrey South twilight on Wednesday PM.

I'd like to play another course Saturday AM (Torrey North or Coronado or anything else on the "nice" list). If we don't have time for a 2nd round on Saturday (or don't feel like it), I'd really like to go to the zoo afterward if we have time to swing it. If not, I say a good meal around the beach.

Car: As with hotel, if Barry can't get us a crazy discount, I will likely book a car and let someone ride with me (and contribute if possible) since it looks like no one is staying longer than me and I'll need the car the whole time I'm there.

Borrowing Barry's suspected address for the place we're going: "True Temper Grafalloy" is at 9401 Waples St. #140, San Diego, CA 92121. I don't want to book a hotel until JB confirms.

Last edited:
Back