Drogster

Reaction score
Handicap
???
What club do you use while working on your swing, in general, at the range?

I was working/checking a few things at the range last night and I seem to pick out the 7 Iron, which would probably my comfort club, good distance and loft, just to build up confidence. It’s all about confidence. What’s your club choice?

Like you, I would pick either my 7i or 8i - if I have limited time and I go to the range with only a couple of clubs just to get some swings in, then it is usually PW, 8i, 5i and a fairway wood

Recently it's been my 6i but the past couple of times its given me the fear so I've switched to my 7i. Usually warm up with a PW hitting various length shots before I start swinging proper.

If only hitting one club, I usually hit the three iron. If I find the timing and get it "in the groove" then everything else is easy to hit.

when just practicing I always switch up clubs every 10-15 balls max. I'll go PW, 4i, 7i, driver, 55*, hybrid... stuff like that. If I'm warming up for a round I will usually hit 5 or 6 PW shots then start going driver, mid iron, short iron for 1-2 balls each and repeating. I find that if I really groove one club for a while I will almost always mishit when I switch to another club. I like simulating on-course conditions as much as possible when I'm on the range.

If I'm using just one club than it's a 6i. But that is rare. I change clubs every 10 balls and usually end my session with chipping about 20 balls with my wedges.

I don't remember ever just swinging one club during a practice session. If I could only use one it would be the 7 or 8 iron, I seem to be able to hit a groove with those while still feeling comfortable taking a full swing.

For lessons, usually a 7 iron for the basic stuff. Will switch it up for specific things I ask to work on. Same goes for practice.

idk about using 1 club for a range session. i think that would be bad just grooving 7 irons for 50 balls. the problem is when you hit the course its way different.

the way i have been practicing is 1 club 1 ball 1 target for every ball you hit. it prepares you for the course better. you hear all the time about people who cant take their game from the range to the course this will help.

I think it's a better practice to change out clubs at the range. I think it gets you away from "hitting balls" and really gets you to focus more on a particular shot. That works for me.

If I am just trying to fix something or I feel like I am out of synch, I will go to the 8 iron to try and figure it out. Regular practice session I am hitting everything in the bag.

Went to the range yesterday, 500 balls... So i use every single goddamn club in my bag except my putter lol. Mostly I use 2 to 6 clubs as my coach say so.

Just like you, the 7i is my go-to club for quick work on the range.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

When my swing is out of whack, I work on hitting half wedges until I get my transition back.

I practice mostly with 7 or 8 iron depending on the day

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I use just about every club in the bag on the range, unless I am working on something specific.
But I probably hit the 8 iron (my 160 club) the most, if I had to pick on one.

I think I'd have to go with the 7 iron too.

8 iron for lessons and drills. Not sure why but that club feels right for me.

I rarely only hit one club, but when I do, it's usually just 10-15 full gap wedge shots.

The club I use to work on my swing at lessons and such is 6i. Not too long not too short of a club. Something in the middle ish to help transition up and down the bag.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I think it's a better practice to change out clubs at the range. I think it gets you away from "hitting balls" and really gets you to focus more on a particular shot. That works for me.

Same here. I've really been trying hard not to hit the same shot twice on the range.

I've been using an 8 iron for most of my winter practice because it's short enough to not hit the ceiling with my swing and not lofted enough to hit the ceiling with the ball.

7-iron or 50* wedge for me

If I am just working on my swing I will bring both my 6 and 8 irons.

Right now I´m working on my swing, so it´s usually 7-iron.

I forget where I read or saw it, but most of the top instructors teach with and recommend practicing with the 8 iron

Back