Considering new wedges.

Carey

Reaction score
Handicap
12ish
Got some great advice when I asked about irons so I figured I might as well ask about wedges.

In the past I just grabbed Titleist or Cleveland as I know they have a great reputation but I know there are a lot of different quality wedges out there.

Are there really big differences in the big brands? Are there some lesser known brands that are better? Is there such a thing as a game improvement wedge?

Should I just grab something shiny like this ?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

You should grab what matches your eye. Depending on the use (full swings, partial swings, etc) there are wedges that offer different things. If you prefer a traditional wedge, wedges like the Cleveland RTX2 are great options and give you so many different choices in both finish, bounce, loft, etc.

IMO wedges a re a personal thing and everyone likes something different. For me the rtx2.0, wilson fg tour tc and callaway MD2 are good options. Others like the Ping glide, Vokey's sm5 or mizuno.

I have Mack Daddy 2's and I like them.

Wedges are very personal. I have gone through numerous sets that I bought online and gotten rid off all because they don't set up well to my eye. For me, I like a straight leading edge for my gap to match my irons, slightly rounded for my sand, and more rounded for my lob. No idea why, but it just works for me. I often have mis matched wedges because different companies use different shapes. That being said, performance will be similar in terms of spin for most conforming wedges. Be sure to try some out in a store if you can before buying. You might be surprised by what you prefer.

I would recommend finding a fitting center close to you that uses a launch monitor so you can get the proper gapping for your set. Also, you want to get got for the correct bounce, lie angle, etc. Instead of going in with a certain brand in mind, try going in with an open mind and hitting everything you can and then make your decision based on the numbers, feel, looks, etc. When you go in with only one or two brands in mind you risk the chance you might not find the best club for you.

TaylorMade ATV wedges have been awesome for me over the past couple of years. I know there are many different solid options for wedges, but the TMs just work.

Yes, there are game improvement wedges.

RTX and RTX 2 CB. Or going back in time, the CG14 and CG16.

Mizuno also makes one called the JPX I believe. It's a solid wedge too with a hint of perimeter weighting.

agree on the personal preference comments. I would also recommend checking out bridgestone. find a J15 and if you like how it looks and want to save $$ look for a J40 online.

Another nod to the Callaway Mack Daddy 2's. They are solid wedges

Lots of solid wedges out there. I like the Mack Daddy 2's and really like my new Mack Daddy PM Grind. I works fantastic from deep rough around the green and it's also a conversation piece since it looks different than any other wedge. I'm adding a second one in a 56*.

IMG_5989-593x420.jpg

I used Cleveland for a few year and just recently went to TM. Atv wedge. I really enjoy them from full shot to chips. I like that I can make them work in all kinds of lies.

Callaway md2's are the best wedges for my eye ive ever had, played cleveland, ping and titleist in the past and they are far superior in my opinion, really wanna try a pm grind for my 56

Sent from my iPhone because I'm sledding or to lazy to get off the couch

I've had the ATV's and I wasn't crazy about them. Just swapped out for the MD2, so we'll see how that goes. A lot of folks on here will probably recommend the RTX 2.0's, MD2, and Ping Glide's

I'd pay attention to sole grind. I found out the hard way that a c-grind is the death knell for my sand game (Callaway Forged copper). I mean, I went from very decent/good to abysmal in an instant.

I was a Cleveland wedge guy for years, this year I gave the Mack Daddy 2 wedges a go, and haven't regretted it one bit... But like others have said, wedges are personal...

Dax

Don't sleep on the Hopkins wedges.

Cleveland CG15s or CG16s, top flite tour, mizuno tp4, cobra tour rusty, and taylormade atv wedges can all be had for 60 or less right now and are all great wedges. I picked up a 54 degree and 58 degree top flite tour wedge set several months ago for 80 bucks. Changed to a slightly heavier shaft and put some cp2 grips on them and they are by far the best wedges Ive ever been able to hit. They have some pretty aggressive milling on the face so when I hit need to hit a low checker Im able to almost at will. Im gonna pick up a set up mizunos to try out in a few weeks just as I really like to play different wedges like some like to change putters or drivers all the time.

I just switched to Scratch Golf wedges this year and they are fantastic. I test a lot of clubs from different companies and Scratch beat them all (for my game, at least). I cannot recommend them highly enough.

http://www.scratchgolf.com/

I can say the MD2 are great. Much better than the ATV's they're replacing. They are on the heavy side though just in case you prefer light wedges.

Pick a quality name brand wedge that when you look at it, gives you confidence. Make sure the swing wieght is good for you too, then go practice with it more than you do with the other clubs, much more. And you will fall in love.

Back