Nike Golf and NCAA National Chamiponship Scripting

flog2424

Philippians 4:13
Reaction score
Handicap
I dont know if many have noticed but Nike has given unique scripting to its represented teams in the NCAA National Championships. Each design is unique to the school and they have also given numbers to each of the golfers..... I feel these are a little gimmicky and look pretty awful. Nike has said these are exclusive and will not be for sale. Would anyone actually buy these? Do you all think this is a good idea?

I thought Stanford ladies looked pretty nice.

I don't know kyle, I like the look. I like that Nike does stuff like this. The Vandy shirt looks like a Cowboys shirt but other than that I likes.

The Boy Scouts should contract Nike or UA to design their uni's.

I like the change in scripting. I thought it was cool the Stanford women each had their own number.

I like the change in scripting. I thought it was cool the Stanford women each had their own number.
I think the numbers are a nice touch, if the Nebraska golf team was good enough to make it, I might be interested!!!

I'd wear the Duke one at the top left, but that probably doesn't surprise anyone. The numbers idea is a bit odd for golf, but it allows for some individuality in a team format, and if the players like it, why not do it?

I like them all except for Stanford and USC. Those look weird.

I do like them doing something special for the golfers but don't like the flash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd wear the Duke one at the top left, but that probably doesn't surprise anyone. The numbers idea is a bit odd for golf, but it allows for some individuality in a team format, and if the players like it, why not do it?

I know the PGA Junior League gives each kid their own number. I think it's kinda cool.

I have to admit, this is a sore spot for me.

It's just another opportunity for schools to make money off of "scholar athletes," while continuing to not pay them.

It's another revenue stream derived from the backs of nearly-free labor.

I thought the Stanford shirts were a nice change. There is probably a sub-conscious "team" feel to each player having a numbers, just like all other team sports.

Neat idea. Stanford shirts were fugly.

If I were a Duke fan (Tarheel born, Tarheel bred, and Gamecock til the day I'm dead personally), I wouldn't be shy about wear it. The OU looks like one of Bob Stoop's sideline shirts and isn't horrible. The Oregon uniform may be the most conservative dri-fit piece of Ducks clothing Nike has ever made. The rest look like high school soccer uniforms to me.

Frankly, I wish Nike/Adidas/Under Armour/Peter Millar/Polo sold the tour-issued shirts the pros wear with their sponsors patches.

I think they look fine. I'd buy the OU one, but not sure why they included a grey stripe on the arm, as grey is not an OU color. Also, the "There is only one Oklahoma" logo on the back is a bit weird. I'd have included the Schooner on the back instead.

-a3f391587b4daa2a.jpg

It's just another opportunity for schools to make money off of "scholar athletes," while continuing to not pay them.

Alas, if I read it correctly, these will not be put on the market, so no money is going to be made off of these athletes. Golf is never a revenue generator either.

I thought it was cool the Stanford women each had their own number.
The Huskies uni's had a number on the back.
-74b67e00b5078a60.jpg

And according to the press release, each athlete selected a number, which means they all have numbers somewhere (I assume the other teams have numbers on the sleeve - you can see a number of the sleeve of the OU shirt).
As part of the customization process, each player selected his own number to be displayed on his uniform, a practice not formerly adopted by golf teams. The number blocking system borrows from each school's football team uniforms. The polo shirts also include the teams' respective conference logos.

Didn't Flog say these weren't for sale?

Yes... Nike has said these are strictly for the participants only, however; I could see Nike doing a spin off and changing the numbers to an amount of championships a team has won in football and sel them that way.... Oh look, they already did it on the Oregon ones.

He did, and the Nike press release says the same. Speaking as someone who played collegiate sports, I fail to see how giving your team a uniform counts as using "nearly-free labor" to market a revenue stream.
Yes... Nike has said these are strictly for the participants only, however; I could see Nike doing a spin off and changing the numbers to an amount of championships a team has won in football and sel them that way.... Oh look, they already did it on the Oregon ones.
The shirts are hardly golf-centric. They could just make them and market them as university apparel. Regardless, even if they did market it from a particular sports perspective (e.g., golf), these teams are never revenue generators and selling a few shirts won't change that fact. They'll continue to be a drain on athletic department budgets, and if they prove not to be ... that's great news as it potentially opens up the door for more sports.

Not an Oregon fan but good looking shirt. Would have to think that fans of OU that are golfers would be all over that one too if ever made available.

USF tied for lead going into the turn. Home field advantage is strong with them today

He did, and the Nike press release says the same. Speaking as someone who played collegiate sports, I fail to see how giving your team a uniform counts as using "nearly-free labor" to market a revenue stream.

The shirts are hardly golf-centric. They could just make them and market them as university apparel. Regardless, even if they did market it from a particular sports perspective (e.g., golf), these teams are never revenue generators and selling a few shirts won't change that fact. They'll continue to be a drain on athletic department budgets, and if they prove not to be ... that's great news as it potentially opens up the door for more sports.

Let me make sure I have it right...

Nike can sell the shirts, and make money with them. But since it won't be a lot, it shouldn't matter?

Point being, there is already interest from posters in this thread for buying jerseys like these. If they will sell, Nike will sell them. Again, it's revenue generated from college athletes, who aren't paid.

Seems like that's my exact point. But maybe I'm missing something.

Let me make sure I have it right...

Nike can sell the shirts, and make money with them. But since it won't be a lot, it shouldn't matter?

Point being, there is already interest from posters in this thread for buying jerseys like these. If they will sell, Nike will sell them. Again, it's revenue generated from college athletes, who aren't paid.

Seems like that's my exact point. But maybe I'm missing something.
You mean aren't paid aside from the scholarship they receive? In a world where most students are crippled by crushing debt the minute they step off of campus, these kids wearing Nike-designed polo shirts have supported education opportunities* in a sport that generates negative revenue for the school.

*Average scholarship is worth slightly over $14k at the NCAA Div I level. That also doesn't count the free tutoring, the probable ability to select classes before others to work out favorable schedules, free access to trainers and exercise equipment, etc etc. (http://www.scholarshipstats.com/golf.htm)

Last edited:
I like what Nike and other companies are doing around big college events with different scripting. These look good for the most part. I would rock the Oregon one.

Back