The importance of course knowledge

I never used to think course knowledge mattered. Having played the same course the last few months, however, I now find that course knowledge invaluable. For example, you learn that certain holes, regardless of yardage, play longer than they appear. You learn where to miss approach shots and what sides of greens to play to or avoid. This information, more than anything else, has cut strokes off of my score.

Certain courses require knowledge. Take, for example, Chambers Bay (site of 2015 US Open). IMO, that is definitely a course you must play a couple of times to "get it." First, the course is links style so if you haven't played that type of course, you'll likely have difficulty with your approach shots and where to land them. With only one tree on the course, and severe elevation changes, you don't have the visual cues that other courses offer. Also with the severe elevation changes, and undulating greens, you can't realize how important playing to certain spots on the green matter.

(#7 is a prime example. Severe uphill, dogleg right. Played with a guy that hit his best 5 iron ever to the green (from 150 yds no less), landed on the wrong side of the green, and watched the ball proceed to roll back down the hill past him and end up 160 yds away. I've never seen anything like it. USGA actually required Chambers to completely redo the 7th green because it was too difficult.)

If you do plan on making a destination trip to Chambers Bay, play it twice. In between, play the Home Course (site of the Amateur and a steal at $50) or Gold Mountain (was ranked #1 public course in WA before Chambers was built. Also under $50.) You will likely have a much better round that second time.

It's funny, but I actually tend to fair better the first time out at a course. For me I think it's not over thinking how I should attack a certain hole, etc. After the first time out my scores tend to be 3-4 strokes higher.

I find course knoledge to be very important in scoring well... probalby a good 3-5 strokes worth. If the course is wide open than it may not matter as much but on coures where playing to a number is at a premium I find it very important where to give yourself good looks into the green and avoid trouble.

I always think course knowledge is good for a couple strokes. With that said my game in not entirely consistent so I may blow up on my home course and then shoot 6 over on a new course. But I'd say on avg. it's good for a few strokes.

Course knowledge is huge for me. Playing an unfamiliar track is probably 4-8 shots a round for me. Most wasted off the tee and on the green. I find that really knowing your aiming points and the small unseen breaks in a green makes a huge difference in my rounds.

I think course knowledge is important. I'd say not knowing a course is likely to cost me at least a handful of strokes unless it's straightforward and not really hard. I try not to play the same course so often that it kills any semblance of a travel game though. I will say that there's only a few courses that I can close my eyes and visualize every hole. That level of familiarity obviously breeds confidence, which helps me since I'm completely mental. :D My best scores generally come at the neighborhood track as knowing where to miss is important as my ball doesn't always do what my mind thinks it's gonna.

How many times I have to play a course before I know it? I guess that depends on how frequently I play it. If I'm able to play it in rapid succession a few times, probably like 3. Otherwise, who knows.

I have also found that online scouting isn't super helpful to me. I still look them up to try and get an idea of what it looks like, but I get the most gain out of a GPS or yardage book that I can look at while on the course and visually confirm features like doglegs, bunkers, etc. That's just how my brain works though. Great topic!

I'd say that course knowledge is always good - on an off day, you know where you'll be able to miss as others have said. This being said, sometimes not knowing the course can help a golfer stay within themselves and focus more on FIRs and GIRs.

With a GPS that has the course layout I do not worry. BUT just playing said course at least once before is a plus.

It's the difference between me breaking 100 or not. Just to echo what has been said, I have most success with the courses that I've played before b/c I know when I can and can't take chances - mainly off the tee. It's also good to know which greens are tricky and where you want to be to give yourself the best chance at scoring well.

However, I don't mind playing new courses because they provide different challenges. It's fun to have a home course but the excitement of not knowing what challenges the next hole will bring is pretty cool.

Unless it's a very easy straight forward course I always tend to shoot bad the first time playing a course. I gain so much confidence after playing a course once or twice. I need that visual to be able to trust my shot. Even seeing pictures doesn't do it for me, I need to see it for myself.

Personally, I don't have to have vast course knowledge to play well, it certainly helps, but without it I'm not at a huge disadvantage in my opinion.

I am going to qualify my participation in this by referring to you're initial post. You say "Do you need to know the course in order to play well?". I don't play well, compared to good golfers, when I am playing well; so take that into consideration. Due to my skill level, there are some instances where knowing what is up ahead or around the corner helps, but for the most part, as long as I play for what I can see in front of me, I'm fine. Two things I do when playing a course for the first time are go to google and review the course from there. If you go to Google Earth, you can even get a feel for elevation changes, but it's still deceiving. My second option is the satellite view on GolfShots if I'm not sure what's up ahead. Those two usually keep me out of trouble.

Thanks for commenting but 'good' is relative based on who you play with or against. My point, don't sell yourself short bro.

I think course knowledge is key. I never play a course as well the first time around as I do on return visits. Todays GPS units help I think. In the old days, many course's around here sold yardage books at it was always well worth a few bucks to get one.

It can depend on the course.

Some architects lay everything out where it can be seen. Some hide hazards behind mounds or around corners. If the course has hidden/disguised hazards it can be costly.

I really hate to hit a shot EXACTLY as I intended and go forward to find my ball in a pond.

I feel more comfortable if I know the course, but it is not a necessity for me. As long as I can see where to go, I can pick target areas pretty well. Blind shots or tricky designs can get me confused and lead to some I'll advised shots.

For me it varies by course though regardless of how few "hidden" trouble spots there are, there is usually a bump in green knowledge the second time around. Knowing about false fronts, tiers, green slopes really makes a difference on each subsequent round on the course. I would guess for me that course knowledge can mean 5 to 8 shots from my initial playing.

I do better once I know the course but normally I have no problem with a new course as long as I can see what is coming. When it is a course that has a lot of blind shots then I need to have seen it to know what to do. I typically only need one time on the course to remember it.

Some courses it may not matter. Some courses that have lots of hazards and various carries then yes it is vital for me in shooting a lower score. Course knowledge can impact my score + or - 10 strokes depending on the course.

Some of the new courses I played last year were very hilly with lots of blind tee shots, so that type of course would always play tougher the first time or two

I will always scout a course online the night before I play it just so I have some idea what is coming, more so that I am not surprised by any hidden water hazards. One time at a course is generally all I need before I feel comfortable.

I would say it makes a huge difference. Knowing especially what greens to attack and where more importantly you can miss. Knowing you are leaving an uphill putt vs a downhill putt. I think in your tip video today knowing you can take a 6 iron from that spot vs a 5 iron that is huge imo.

I really think that having knowledge of a course absolutely helps. Knowing the bailout points, how the fairways slope, hidden water or hazards, all help general slopes of the green all help you make better shots and help with your confidence. I believe that confidence helps you stay loose and helps keep you from trying to force things or taking unnecessary risks, which overall will help you shoot better.

I think for me it is more about leaning where to lay up and where to go for it. Some courses are easy to score well on and others are full of tricks and traps.

For me, I need more than one round to play well. The greens are probably where the biggest difference is. Greens usually break in one direction towards something and figuring out where that is and keeping oriented so you know where that is when you get on the green can be difficult and will cost you a few putts a round.

I have a getter chance of scoring on a course I've played before. Courses that are totally new to me are more difficult to play my game that I'm comfortable with. I become more apprehensive and guarded on new tracks.

I would make a distinction between scoring well and playing well in this context.

Last weekend I was in the fairway on 18 at a course I had only played a few times, and not in a few years at all. 18 is as uphill par 4 and I had 155 to a front pin. I hit a pretty decent shot but came up a little short and with a little backspin, next thing I knew I was 30 yards back down the front of the green, left with a tough uphill wedge and little green to work with.

I didn't realize until I walked up there that the right side of the green was enormous and would have left me with the obvious option of clubbing up and just getting on the green rather than trying to stick it on the pin with a quarter the landing area.

Ended up hitting a poor chip that rolled into a bunker even though it was only about 5 yards behind the pin and taking a double, when I could have, at worst, had a long birdie putt and maybe bogey.

I felt I played well all day, but not knowing some of these things and also the greens, I didn't score as well as I could have with a little more knowledge.

On another hole I completely misjudged the length of a fairway on a dogleg and hit right through it and had to punch out, another bogey (partially my fault for forgetting my range finder in the car, but it wouldn't have happened at a course I know better).

I think at a good course with a yardage book and today's technology, it's really on the player to manage the course properly.

Greens are a bit of an exception, as they are always difficult to judge the first couple times around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back