Practice schedule, how much time do you spend?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
We have a lot of comments over some key threads in the last 24 hours about tee shots vs second shots and short game. Two different threads covering these topics. I'd like to know how much time you typically spend on each in a given week. Do you spend more time on drivers and woods, irons, short game or putting.

We have a lot of comments over some key threads in the last 24 hours about tee shots vs second shots and short game. Two different threads covering these topics. I'd like to know how much time you typically spend on each in a given week. Do you spend more time on drivers and woods, irons, short game or putting.

I personally spend about twice as much time on short game as I do long game. I'll hit balls for about 30 minutes with a few key things I'm working on then do twice that one short game.

I am very fortunate to have a weekday and one weekend day off. My routine (weather permitting) is to practice and play 9 on my weekday and play a round or two on the weekend with the girlfriend. Routine goes as followed :
2 hours range time. Consist of warmup and 4 shots in a row with each club. Then I play a course in my head if my swing is on. If somwthing doesnt feel right I work on it. I spend 2 hours here, number of balls veries and drills change.
I then spend 1 hour chipping. Usually in segments of 15 minutes practicing from distance with different clubs and shot types.
Then comes the putting green for another hour or so. This one is all about results not time.
Then from there I put what ive worked on to the test for 9 to 18 holes.. depends on my body and time left..

Not enough on anything. Most of my practice is when I am on the course. I might chip or putt some before a round.

I usually can get to the range twice a week, if I am lucky. One of those says I will go to a course near by that has a short range, it's only 160 yards if the tees are all the way back, nut they have a great short game area. If I go there, I will generally spend a half hour or so hitting full short iron approach shots and then I will move to the short game area and spend an hour hitting shots from 40 yards and in. Finish with a half hour on the putting green, I will hit a chip and then try and make the putt, I only use one ball so that I get used to having to try and make along putt if I hit a poor chip.

The second day will be at a really bad range that allows for full swings through the bag and is lit so I can go at night. I will hit two buckets there, the first is spent working on full swings with each club, I try and hit the nine shapes with each club as I go through the bag. The second bucket is playing a simulated round, never more than one shot with each club aiming at different targets so I have to make sure I am aligned before each shot.

Depends on the time of the year. Right now, it's almost all full swing practice. Some putting, but that's more to keep a stroke feeling than anything.

In season I'd say 60/40 with long game getting the bigger portion.

Usually about half and half for me range time vs. chipping/putting green, or maybe slightly biased towards the short game/putting. I probably will be changing that a bit this year though and trying to spend 2 hours on the short game for every hour I spend on the range, since my short game is the thing that needs the most work. Of the range time, it's probably 70% irons, 30% longer clubs, unless I'm working one club in particular for some reason.

As far as how many times, once I have some daylight to work with again, I'll probably try and get out twice a week to practice, for about 2 hours at a time.

I try and give every part of the game equal practice time, when the weather breaks I'll go 4 times a week for four hours each and do it like this.

Session 1: long irons and woods
Session 2: Wedges and short rons
Session 3: Mid irons and woods
Session 4: Chipping and putting

This is what has worked for me in the past, I love to go to the range and work on the game, my wife likes it too lol

90% of the time I practice chips and putting and the other part full shots with the other clubs. Each week I would say 20+ hours.

During the season, I practice on my short game and irons the most, then woods, then putting then driver. During the winter, I focus on my full swing and putting. This year, I will be devoting even more time to the short game and putting.

I was never much about practice, that is about to change....this year will be different, 2 days at the range durning the week, 1 session working on half and full swings as well as contact and alignment drills, 2nd session will be all short game, chipping, sand and putting....I figure about an hour and half each of these days

Well I spend about a half an hour on the short game and half and hour on irons. I currently can't use my driver or woods now because I don't have enough room in my basement. I usually work on these 3/4 times a week.

I seldom do actual practice. When I do practice, it's almost always putting.

0 minutes on all of it. I don't practice at all. I have a putting green in my office and have not used it yet this year. I don't have extra time to go and practice. I was a member of a club last year and the range was included in the cost and I used it maybe 3 times before a round. I prefer the get up to the tee and play approach.

That is why I am happy as a 12 handicap and don't take the game very serious. It may be the wrong approach, but I'd rather play than practice.

Thinking back to last year, I'd spend about an hour on the range with irons and driver mixed in, 30 minutes on the chipping green and about 30-45 on putting.

This year my goal is at least 3 hours of practice a week

Predominantly short game work, maybe half with the other half woods and irons

I currently practice 2 days a week and play league or skins on 2 other days. I don't put a time limit on things, but will set a goal of x number of balls for a drill. My practice routine in as follows:

L-Y with PW - 30 balls
L-Y with 6i - 30 Balls
L-Y with 3i - 30 balls
L-Y with D - 20 balls

L-L Drill with all of the above

Work on move from the top by taking my stance, resting club on my right shoulder, take a full turn, extend arms, keep wrist flat, start downswing with hips (fire left up and eventually post), drop club inside, maintain hinge until butt of club is just about to the ball. This is all done at about 50% at first and then I speed up to 100%. My avatar is actually this drill with my driver at 100%

I'll then take some full swings with all of those clubs.

Short game -
Start at 40 yards and work my way all the way up to the green at 10yd increments. I'll take 10 shots with each with my 7i-60* . Goal is to be able to hit different shots for those distances (bump and run all the way to flop).

I work on my putting every night now for about an hour doing gate and one handed putting drills.

i only spend about 1 day a week on practice and its either the range or chipping and putting so 50% on each. the weekend is for playing golf so no practice really.

I try to do a 50%, 30%, 20% plan when I practice

Regardless of the amount of time on try to make sure half of the time is spent on wedges and putting

30% is going through the irons and 20% with the woods

I find his puts emphasis on my weaknesses and still enables me to go through every club in the bag

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Recently I have been spending 2/3 of my time on the full swing, but a lot of that has been trying to build a repeating action with half-3/4 swings.

As I am getting more comfortable with my full swing I would like to move this to 1/3 putting, 1/3 full swing and 1/3 short game (pitching/chipping).

Up until recently (Mid - End of last season) most of my work was long game. First because I felt like that is where I needed to improve the most and second because I don't have a short game practice area anywhere near me. Last year, made the commitment to go practice at a course that has a decent short game area and started to improve. When the weather cooperates, the same will happen again this year. Will likely be 60/40 short (including putting).

JM

I spend a lot of time practicing during the season. I play at least 27 holes a week and then hit the range a minimum of 3 times. This year it may be more due to the fact that I'm taking lessons and really want to ingrain what I'm learning. I spend at least 50% of my time on my short game if not more. This year, with the Golftec lessons I'll probably spend 60%+ on my irons/woods as that's what I struggle with the most.

I just want this snow to melt already :)

I typically spend about two hours on the driving range and try to actually make it two hours. If I hit a bucket of balls and leave 30 minutes later, what did I really accomplish?
Recently I created a practice regimen to go along with my PGA Tour Academy set so I can work on certain clubs on cetain sessions, almost like working out the muscles. Legs one day, chest the next and so forth.
I have my big stick session for my driver, wood, and hybrid. Irons session, and a wedge session. For the big sticks and irons I focus on swing plane and working on my ball striking. Wedges are more involved because of the many types of shots you can perform. I will work with all my wedges hitting chips, pitches, half swings, and full swings.
If I go to the range just to go, I still focus more on my wedges than anything else. For every ten balls I hit with a big stick or driver, I would put in about 30 balls with the wedges.

My normal range routine when the weather is good is similar to TroutBum's in that I like to do sessions focused on woods one day, Hybrids and long irons another, mid irons, wedges, and chipping and putting. But, the frequency is not equal. For instance, I'll will go more frequently to work on mid irons than woods, and even more frequently for wedges. Also, in addition to regular sessions focused on chipping and putting, I finish all of the other sessions with at least a half hour chipping and putting. I just need to have the sessions more frequently. But I enjoy playing a whole lot more than I do practicing.

All of that assumes that I'm not taking lessons. Then, I'll be working on whatever my instructor has given me to work on.

Depends on the time of the year. Right now, it's almost all full swing practice. Some putting, but that's more to keep a stroke feeling than anything.

In season I'd say 60/40 with long game getting the bigger portion.

I agree with Hawk, this summer my outdoor practice will be about 60/40 with short game getting more attention.

Back