Storm Bearing down on the south

Our power has flickered a bunch in the last half hour or so, I hope it stays on.

I hope you guys can keep power, Marc.

So far, it's not that bad here. We have probably about 1/2" to 3/4" of sleet/ice on the ground, and the roads around me are pretty icy. Not much snow, though. But, we're supposed to get a few inches this evening.

Northern suburbs are getting socked pretty good, though. Very glad that I live intown.

:act-up:You guys are such virgins to this snow thing..we have 32 inches on the ground with 6!foot drifts and negative single digits here.. Just go slow, don't worry about the idiots,trying to pass you,

be a safe and courteous driver in this stuff

put a blanket/ shovel/ and extra coat and gloves in your car..and make sure cell phone is charged..

be so so careful

Storm Bearing down on the south

2a9avunu.jpg

Boooooooo!

Not the worst weather I have ever experienced (that would be the winter of 1995-96 in Buffalo, NY) but down here we just aren't capable of handling it. I have four HUGE trees within 30 feet of my house, I hope they stay up. We are expected to get a half inch of ice accumulation before this is over. Have a gas fireplace so if we lose power I can heat the living room, and the stove is gas so we can eat too. I doubt anything is open, so just staying put.

:act-up:You guys are such virgins to this snow thing..we have 32 inches on the ground with 6!foot drifts and negative single digits here.. Just go slow, don't worry about the idiots,trying to pass you,

be a safe and courteous driver in this stuff

put a blanket/ shovel/ and extra coat and gloves in your car..and make sure cell phone is charged..

be so so careful

I've lived where it snows plenty, but there's a big difference in available assets. They're not going to buy 100 new salt/plow trucks to use them once every 4 or 5 years.... :p

There's also a big difference in vehicles, believe it or not. People here don't spend the extra money for a good all season tire when you can get summer tires for half the price and chances are you'll be just fine.

But, we can do the exact opposite with a hurricane. The day after a hurricane, everything is back up and running, since that's what we are typically prepared for and what the structure revolves around.

Last edited:
These types of storms are no fun, no matter where they are. One of the districts I handle here at work is Atlanta and not surprisingly - I haven't heard from anyone. Be safe everyone!

Good luck to everyone who gets impacted by this storm. We are supposed to get 5-8inches tonight and tomorrow. Certainly not anything Maryland isn't used to. Bit still a pain. Be safe everyone, especially you guys in GA, SC, NC with the ice.

I have a very short (approx. 3 mile drive to work) and most of it was a solid sheet of ice this morning. I stopped in the road to take a picture and ended up having to put my truck in 4WD to get going again.
In typical South Arkansas fashion, the roads were all clear by 10:00 though.

:act-up:Is that true that power may be off for weeks?

If all goes bad...just have the masters at the par 3 course..change it up a bit..now that would allow everyone to compete...:)

Stay warm everyone and hopefully this mess will be over tomorrow and heading back to somewhat normal :thumb:

Stay warm everyone and hopefully this mess will be over tomorrow and heading back to somewhat normal :thumb:

I'm hoping it's gone quickly so I can get on the course this weekend. At least by Monday.

Just please be careful about venting Randy. A lot of people get CO poisoning.
Thanks Ryan, I really hope I don't have to light and of these heaters.

:act-up:Is that true that power may be off for weeks?

If all goes bad...just have the masters at the par 3 course..change it up a bit..now that would allow everyone to compete...:)
Augusta National will look like nothing happened at all by Saturday, they have some pretty good financial resources from the members there. :act-up:

Lights have flickered a couple of times here. Really has to be bad for us to lose power though since all utilities are underground in my neighborhood. Hopeful that it doesn't get much worse. Have a bit of ice on the trees, but had all the pines near the house cut down several years ago.

Wow that's crazy...hopefully it gets better before it gets worse

Our mess will just be beginning tomorrow. Maybe by Saturday we'll all be back to normal.

haheze7a.jpg

How us Southerners feel right now

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

The roads here are getting better for the most part. The westbound lane of I-20 is nothing but a solid sheet of ice. My driveway is the same. Looks like I'm staying in all day. Really craving a Dr. Pepper right now and we have none in the house. May have to get out and hike to the store in a little bit.

From what I'm reading on Twitter, it sounds like the Raleigh area may turn into an Atlanta situation from a couple of weeks ago. It went from no snow to roads being completely covered in ice and snow very quickly in the past 1-2 hours.

From what I'm reading on Twitter, it sounds like the Raleigh area may turn into an Atlanta situation from a couple of weeks ago. It went from no snow to roads being completely covered in ice and snow very quickly in the past 1-2 hours.

They were just showing Charlotte on the news and the highways are plugged. People just don't learn.

We've gotten a little over 5 inches so far but people seem to be staying off the roads and for now everything seems to be okay.

Be safe everyone.

They were just showing Charlotte on the news and the highways are plugged. People just don't learn.

Charlotte is a mess right now. Thankfully I got stuck at school so I don't have to deal with any of that nonsense.

I have a show in Birmingham next week and everyone I am doing planning with just went home because of the weather in Alabama. Ugh...wrong time for storm

Back