How To Practice - Lessons With Leadbetter & Callaway Golf

I used to be one of those driver bangers on the range. I would hit 3 or 4 balls with a few irons, then the driver would come out and I would hit 85% of the bucket with it.
Now I hit maybe 10 or 15 drives out of a bucket(unless that is what I am working on) and about 50% of the bucket is with the wedges.
I wish I had gotten smarter about this years ago.

I like it!

Having a plan is very important to faster improvement.

Honey, I'm working late tonight.
You've never worked lated in 15 years.
Uuuhhhhhh

Glad this popped up today, went and did this on my lunch break. I've honestly never done just wedges before, but it was awesome and fun. I was able to notice some small issues more easily I think with the 3/4 wedge swing. Made a tweak or two and I was hitting some nice full and partial wedges. Can't wait to do it again.

great advise i spend close to 60-75% of my time working with my wedges in some sort of another when i'm at the range or chipping green.

A very cool video series is being shared by Callaway Golf and David Leadbetter. This is the 1st installment and I enjoyed this one quite a bit. What are your thoughts?

Ledbetter is awesome. He makes the game sound so simple. This stuff is great JB

Didn't watch the video but from the comments it looks like short game was the topic. I'll be watching shortly

I need to look at this video later. My last lesson we focused on wedges and the first 12"
Of the takeaway. This as it was explained can translate well to the full swing and was amazed how a little practice had me hitting crisper wedge shots. The best part it builds confidence you can execute when needed.

Methinks I might have to get out on the range in ACU's and golf shoes.

This is something my wife and I have been discussing. She's an uber-planner, which is amazing when I need things organized. I've started her reading Pelz' Short Game Bible. She loves the idea that practice can be broken up into working on a part of the 5 games of golf, and is making me a schedule so I know what I practice/focus on. She thinks of it as gymnastics apparatus. Today rings, tomorrow floor, Thursday high bar. I like having someone else to do the organizing for me.

Yes, my wife knows I love golf. She likes being part of the process, the journey, if you will. I look forward to sharing some of the payoff with her this Summer in Myrtle.

Very cool little vid. Look forward to more in the series. Definitely good advice, and curious what else they bring us!

That was a great video, thanks for sharing.

Great video, and I'm also looking forward to more. I start every practice session with wedge shots and my finesse swing. I try and hit to specific distances with each wedge. I work up through the bag with a full swing. After I hit drives, I save the last 25 or so balls and end each practice with the same wedge / finesse swings. That part of my game has come a long long way, and I'm looking forward to this coming season putting together what I've been working on.

THP #theking #imwithchad

I had to laugh. I was listening to this, and of course Lee heard "tell your wife you're working late". And then close it out with "she'll never know". She wasn't impressed lol. 1/2 hour isn't really long, but beneficial if you spend the time wisely.

Great video, need to find some good short game drills to work on that distance control.

I had to laugh. I was listening to this, and of course Lee heard "tell your wife you're working late". And then close it out with "she'll never know". She wasn't impressed lol. 1/2 hour isn't really long, but beneficial if you spend the time wisely.

That wife of yours is a prize! All you'd have to tell Lee is that you need to stop and work on your game. She would understand.

That wife of yours is a prize! All you'd have to tell Lee is that you need to stop and work on your game. She would understand.

She said you better tell me your going to the range! I will want to join you.

When the weather is decent, I will go to the range on my lunch break and while I only have about 30 minutes on the range, that's all i need to work on wedges. Great tip.

I agree totally. I luckily have a place right beside where I work that has a little abandoned field that is maintained so I am able to go out there and work on my wedges for 30 minutes or so when it is slow. Been doing this for the last year or so and the improvement is the main reason my handicap is dropping. Nothing like hitting the ball that is parked right beside my truck. Adds a little pressure.

What I appreciated about this video is how closely it follows the Keep It Simple Stupid concept. Don't have a lot of time, work on your wedges - that's where your score is really made. Good stuff.

I'm also glad I'm not married so my wife doesn't have to find out I'm cheating on her.

Back