Callaway Supersoft Ball

Man o man... people must be loving these things.

They are pretty much MIA in most of the local stores around here.

I still haven't played w/ this ball, but I play all the time w/ the Duo which is basically the same ball w/o hex dimples.

With that said, I actually love not feeling the ball off the putter. It's like making a practice stroke.

Supersoft is certainly quiet, especially off of an Odyssey putter. One correction, the only similarity between the Supersoft and the Duo is that they are both soft. Supersoft does have HEX aero as you state, but is also has a soft cover to go along with the extremely soft core. This is very different than Duo, which has a firmer cover over a soft core. Sounds minor, but is a pretty complex construction to keep resiliency high with both soft core and cover. Look forward to hearing your feedback once you play Supersoft.
Thanks
Greg

Supersoft is certainly quiet, especially off of an Odyssey putter. One correction, the only similarity between the Supersoft and the Duo is that they are both soft. Supersoft does have HEX aero as you state, but is also has a soft cover to go along with the extremely soft core. This is very different than Duo, which has a firmer cover over a soft core. Sounds minor, but is a pretty complex construction to keep resiliency high with both soft core and cover. Look forward to hearing your feedback once you play Supersoft.
Thanks
Greg

Appreciate the insight, Greg. Really looking forward to the snow melting and putting the Supersoft in play!

I have used these balls and they performed very well for me. I have been using the Titleist velocity and Wilson DUO lately. To early to tell if they are significantly longer than the other two. All three balls have performed well for me.

The SS bounces higher than the Duo. Guess it is the better ball :).

Played this ball for 9 holes last Sunday and was really impressed. Going to give some more this weekend.

Found one on the course the other day and hit a shot with it...not bad actually would like to try it again for a round. Had a great flight off the 6 iron

Tap Tap Taparoo

With all the hype, I bought a dozen today. I hope to put them in play on Saturday. I like the Duo, but the yellow of the Cally is much better IMO.

Callaway Super Soft Golf Ball Review
By Stogiesnbogies

FYI: I am a senior player with an 85-90 Max swing speed; a 15-17 handicap who plays senior flex shafted clubs. I hit my average drives between 180-200 yards and max out under ideal conditions with a very rare 220 yard "bomb".
biggrin.png

Callaway has produced the lowest compression ball on the market here with a 38 rating. In contrast the Wilson Staff Duo, it's nearest competitor has a 43 compression; the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite at 50, while the Titleist DT So/Lo checks in at 72. (FYI: All slower swing players; perhaps the reason that the Pro V1X does nothing for you or me has something to do with its 102 compression rating!)

In addition to it's softest compression which enhances direction and distance (as well as feel off the club) Callaway has produced a soft, responsive cover. The soft core and soft cover combine with HEX aerodynamics to produce a golf ball that reduces spin and adds distance.

I absolutely love this ball as it combines the best aspects of both the Wilson Staff Duo and the Wilson Staff Fifty Elite without any of their liabilities. For example the Callaway Super Soft has great distance like the duo but much better feel off the putter.

I find the super soft to be straighter and consequently a tad longer than the Fifty Elite as well. It performs great around the greens with approach shots that sit and pitches and chips that run true. It feels and sounds great off of all club faces. It has proven to be quite durable as well as I played 2 full rounds with one ball and it still looks fine; no scuffs, scratches or cuts.

Callaway definitely has a winner here for a large piece of the golfing market- namely seniors, most women and others with slower swing speeds. It is available in white or yellow (I tested white) and is well priced at 18 -20 dollars per dozen much like its market competitors, the Wilson Staff Duo and Titleist DT So/Lo. All good balls but I'm bagging the Callaway Super Softs Now!!

I tried them out today. Temp started at 52-ish and then got to 83 so it was a good spread. The ball was every bit as long as my Chrome+ and Duo. In approach it was very similar to the Duo. Because I like the Cally yellow much better than the Wilson yellow, it'll be my winter/spring ball while my swing comes back around and it's cooler... the jury is out about its performance in 100 deg Texas heat.

BTW, my swing speed is around 96 with the driver.

I've seen lots of threads regarding various golf balls talking about compression v. distance and swing speed. It might be useful to note that both Titleist and Wilson Staff have come out in plain language explaining that the compression rating of the ball you hit is not related to distance, and is not a factor to be matched with swing speed. I don't have the reference handy, but I read a Wilson Staff interview recently where the WS guy was saying that compression rating of golf balls is all about feel, and does not affect distance. I do have the Titleist reference handy though...

From the Titleist web site:

"The differences in the amount of compression across driver swing speeds are virtually indistinguishable. There is a common misconception that a player must match the compression of the golf ball to his or her swing speed. No single element of golf ball design determines the golf ball's performance or distance."

I'm not saying that this is undisputed fact...just thinking that Titleist and Wilson Staff folks probably know more about golf balls than I do.

I've seen lots of threads regarding various golf balls talking about compression v. distance and swing speed. It might be useful to note that both Titleist and Wilson Staff have come out in plain language explaining that the compression rating of the ball you hit is not related to distance, and is not a factor to be matched with swing speed. I don't have the reference handy, but I read a Wilson Staff interview recently where the WS guy was saying that compression rating of golf balls is all about feel, and does not affect distance. I do have the Titleist reference handy though...

"The differences in the amount of compression across driver swing speeds are virtually indistinguishable. There is a common misconception that a player must match the compression of the golf ball to his or her swing speed. No single element of golf ball design determines the golf ball's performance or distance."

I'm not saying that this is undisputed fact...just thinking that Titleist and Wilson Staff folks probably know more about golf balls than I do.

Callaway says the same. The only thing they 100% agree on is that over compression is a legit concern.

I alternated between these and the Bridgestone E6s on my recent golf trip to Seattle. Both have me good performance. I have cracked or broken 3 of the Super Softs so far hitting them in the simulator. Going to keep my eye on this going forward.

I was given a 2 ball demo pack of the Callaway balls by our pro. I was really impressed by the feel and flight, but then I used an 80 compression Titleist for years during the winter here in NC. The only unusual thing was the very, very soft feel on the greens. It wouldn't be something I couldn't get used to, but I'd need to use them more to see if I could work it, or flight it down. I really prefer to fit my short irons and wedges with 3/4 swing to prevent too much backspin, have to see if these react the same as the E6 or proV1x I play now. Overall a nice ball. Comparable distance, not too sticky around the greens. I played two rounds with one and it was still hanging in there before I just had to switch it out...

Callaway says the same. The only thing they 100% agree on is that over compression is a legit concern.

So everyone says compression doesn't matter... and then Callaway makes a super soft low compression ball and all the low swing speed guys love it. I don't get it. There seems to be a relationship here even though the Titlelist Prov folks say there isn't. What's going on?

That's because Titleist wants everyone to but a 50.00 dozen of balls. But if you don't want to spend that much here's another 7-8 models to choose from.

Yeah... i dont think that is accurate. Case in point... this past Monday and my swing speed being around 105mph then the long hitters stepped up and were swinging near 120mph. If the launch monitor and cameras could pick up my swing just fine, but couldnt take pictures fast enough to catch the ball off the face of the driver of someone swinging 120+ mph, then I do believe that the ball compression would definitely be distinguishable.

I don't understand this drop test stuff. Even a slow swing speed is a ton faster than a ball travels when dropped from 6 ft. At best, that test shows that a putt with a Supersoft or Duo will go further than the other balls. I don't get it...

Yeah... i dont think that is accurate. Case in point... this past Monday and my swing speed being around 105mph then the long hitters stepped up and were swinging near 120mph. If the launch monitor and cameras could pick up my swing just fine, but couldnt take pictures fast enough to catch the ball off the face of the driver of someone swinging 120+ mph, then I do believe that the ball compression would definitely be distinguishable.

I think that it does matter as a ball that over or under compresses depending on your swing speed won't go as far as one that compresses just the right amount. There isn't much difference between the Duo and the SS in compression but I can hit the SS further (I only have a swing speed in the low 80's) so maybe the little less compression helps me. I also compared the SS to the Chrome and can hit the SS a lot further than the Chrome they have the same dimple pattern weight etc. except that the Chrome has a higher compression.

I think that it does matter as a ball that over or under compresses depending on your swing speed won't go as far as one that compresses just the right amount. There isn't much difference between the Duo and the SS in compression but I can hit the SS further (I only have a swing speed in the low 80's) so maybe the little less compression helps me. I also compared the SS to the Chrome and can hit the SS a lot further than the Chrome they have the same dimple pattern weight etc. except that the Chrome has a higher compression.

I agree - the titelist folks can say otherwise but I think compression has to figure into the equation somewhere.

My normal ball is the Duo...

Honest feedback (which seems to be mirrored by others) The Supersoft is better from the fairway and teebox, the Duo is better around the green and with short irons...

Supersoft: Hex seems to help with the wind and it goes a little further than the DUO.

DUO: Bites better around the green and with short irons.

They are bout outstanding balls and I've started using them both for different courses.

I played this ball today and it's a really solid winter ball option. It hurt me a little off wedges, but not badly. I just haven't adjusted to a ball that doesn't spin much and hit a bunch of shots that normally would have been really tight, but rolled out to that 5-10 foot range. Feels real good. To me, this is basically the same ball as the Duo.

Finally was able to locate a box of these in Australia yesterday. Played today a quick 18 and having normally used the Duo like many others I think they're incredibly similar. I get about 10 meters extra than the duo, but as others said little harder to stop I found around the green. Really like them overall I think the duo or even srixon sorts are better wearing I'd roughed the callaway up a little after the round but nothing really bad. Happily use these regularly will play them for a few weeks and see how we go.

Picked up a 2 ball box at proshop today. Hit a fade\baby slice off the tee. Hit 8 iron to fringe and chipped on. When I picked up the ball on the green it had a 1/2 inch cut. Didn't like the idea that in less than one hole and no terrible hits or tree bounces the ball was seriously damaged.

Back