Buying equipment or buying game this year?

I am buying game, I have invested in a coach that I'm currently working with weekly building a great swing, that will slow down eventually, but will still see him a bunch for tune ups, short game work, playing lessons.

The only equipment I plan on buying is irons and shaft tweaks if need be in the woods.

It will be close to 50/50 in costs when it comes down to cost because the deal with my coach is so good.

I am trying hard not to fiddle with equipment until after the Morgan Cup, so most of my resources now will go into lessons and game improvement, including a tour level fitting later this year.

I'm sticking with what's in the bag this year and will be into putting money into our course learning center.

I have two lessons that I need schedule for this year and it's probably equipment upgrades cause I definitely need a new iron set but I just don't know.

Using Tapatalk

More equipment and playing costs for me than lessons.

I compiled quite the hoard of clubs in 2013, so I don't plan on buying any equipment in 2014 (says the guy who ordered a Big Bertha last week). I will be investing in lessons and THP trips this year instead.

Last year was probably 50/50 on equipment/lessons. This year I will probably spend most of my golfing $$$ on a new set of irons.

All game this year. Lessons, lessons, and green fees. I think I'd say that even if I wasn't in the Morgan Cup. I like the gear I have, and I know I can put good swings down on them. Just a matter of getting more consistent and confident.

Good topic. 2013 was buy equipment for me (as it had been 10 years since my last iron change). 2014 is buy game year. My first lesson ever is this weekend.

Game, practice/range(full bag) no equipment. Budget for all has been cut unfortunately, positive thinking to make the best of what is available.

Well, I just had a credit card party, so equipment will probably outweigh lessons this year. But I have been taking lessons on a regular basis and absolutely plan to continue doing so. There are good reasons to buy new equipment, then there is buying equipment in hopes your game will somehow miraculously improve with little or no effort on your part. Dollar for dollar, lessons are the cheapest route to game improvement, and most importantly, much less frustrating than trying to figure it out yourself.

Getting fit at Club Champion on Friday and that will ultimately determine the answer to that question, but I'm going to lean towards the equipment side. Been playing the same irons for about 5 seasons (AP-2s) so definitely time for an upgrade and always the possibility of a new driver. I've never been a big lesson guy and have more or less be self taught so if it aint broke then don't fix it.

Now this topic has bit brought up from time to time in manh different threads. Figured id try and make a generalized location.
Last night as I was doing my usual searches on O.E.M webpages, I started thinking. With the cost that a good number of golfers spend on equipment throught a year, would some of that money be spent better toward lessons?I get that there are definitely two sides to this argument. I mean ofcourse some will agree with the lessons and some will want new equipment.
I personally have devoted this year to my game. Not saying I wont by any equipment but I habe made a promise to myself that the first 150-450 will be towards my game. I plan on taking 5 lessons and enrolling in the online s.p.i program through seemore(apon some endepth people who have experienced the process)
So I ask is this year's golf budget going towards equipment or game?

Lessons.....YES! I'll spend a couple of hundred dollars this year working with my PGA Teacher. More tune ups than lessons for me.

Not sure for me as I think this is the year I update my irons but I should throw some lessons in the mix, still looking for an instructor that I mesh with though.

My most expensive purchase(s) will undoubtedly be lessons.

Same here I have already invested quite a bit. But I will be investing more. It helps I made into the MC for clubs.

I guess not buying equipment lasted about 8 hours.

I guess not buying equipment lasted about 8 hours.

Yeah, I should have caveated my statement with, "Except for this putter I just bought."

Whoops.

Both and it will probably be 50/50 by end of year. Buying the equipment soon and spreading the lessons thru December.

I have about $700 into a used set of clubs I just bought, and the rest of money is going to training. But that isn't for 2014. That is for at least 3 years. The focus is on lessons and home training. Indoor driving range is setup, and just ordered birdieball 13.5" putting green. Pretty much going to work out every day, and use weekends for lessons and real range time.

Honestly, the clubs are the last things I want to spend on. I want to get comfortable with, and master, every club. Switching would feel like starting over.

Buying equipment or buying game this year?

Maybe both. I started a short stint of lessons at GolfTec this year and even though we've only made two changes, they have made a significant difference. Ball speeds are up, dispersion is improved and shot height is down to a more optimal height.

That changes the behavior of my clubs, so some of the reason for equipment change is diminishing, such as changing ball flight, while new ones are developing like maximizing efficiency from these changes.

So at the moment all focus is on the swing. Once I settle in I'll get clubs evaluated and we'll see what happens.

It's funny how much has changed in terms of equipment preference. For instance, I used to dislike the Speedblades, thought they felt a little harsh, and preferred R shafts. Now I'm preferring most S shafts and I just tried the Speedblade again and liked it. Hit my first 190yd 6i with it on the same LM I usually use and while not as soft of a feel as an Apex, it wasn't harsh at all and the results were great.

I'm surprised how much my equip preferences have changed.

So, once my swing changes are ingrained and I have some maturity with them, I'll evaluate equipment. All past impressions are put aside and I'll start from scratch. If I'm lucky I won't need to change anything.

I just completed a full overhaul of my golf bag - bag, woods, irons, putter, etc. That also includes new towels, balls, everything. This included replacing a set of 15 year old irons. So, I'm definitely putting more $$ toward lessons this year. I took two lessons last year and it really helped me, so I'm definitely going to get more this year. The pro I take lessons from is really good, and he has a "5 pack" of 30 minute lessons for $175 that I'm going to jump on (minus a good tip, of course).

2014 will definitely be a game year, I plan on being fitted, and investing in lessons. But I must confess that I have a rewards debit card from my work (sales rep) that happens to work at Golfsmith, so the chances of some "free-money" gear making it into my bag is pretty good... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 will definitely be a game year, I plan on being fitted, and investing in lessons. But I must confess that I have a rewards debit card from my work (sales rep) that happens to work at Golfsmith, so the chances of some "free-money" gear making it into my bag is pretty good... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nothing wrong with free money gear.
.good luck with the lessons though.

Back