Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that a high handicaper should be fitted for a forgiving driver I went with the Callaway X Hot then forgiving wedges I went with the Cleveland Smart Soles S & C, and then a putter that suits your type of putting stroke I went with the Odyssey White Hot Pro #5. I have gone from 36 to 21 in 6 months mainly because after I tee off with the driver I am starting from the fairway most of the time and when I am within 50 meters of the green I can usually get down in 3 strokes at the most because the wedges are so easy to use and I can putt well with the putter. I am still strugling at times with my irons (inconsistant distances) but getting better now I am playing most of them from the fairway.

Shot a PB of 95 last weekend.

A couple of observations and a little about my game. I am a regular 105-110 kind of guy.

I have just a couple weeks ago joined my first golf club. It is notoriously tough with very tricky greens. Tough for a beginner I must admit!

After having 6 or 7 rounds on my new home course, I am consistently hitting 105-109 with some very promising pars and birdie opportunities. I genuinely believe you can only get better playing a harder course and playing a better opponents. I am playing with guys who are 10-15hcp which is much better than me, but I feel that in this situation, a hard course, good opponent, you concentrate more and play your best golf.

Key points I thought made the difference this round.

Keep it in play, 3 wood 200-240 yards off the tee for me... I practice this. I relax, I hit it fluidly and calmly... and if it goes 150? So be it. If I try and crush it... I'll top it or thin it!

2nd shot. Keep it in play. Front of the green? Just off the green? No worries. Keep it in play! My iron game is weak. I can barely hit an iron 160yrds straight most days... and as such my 2nd shots are rarely on the green. If this sounds like you... Practice your...

Pitch shots and chip and run I practice these more than my drives. It's so important for me to get that near the hole and two putt for bogey or better yet par... oh, and if the pitch goes in? Birdie time baby.

Anyway I know this is all stuff you know, but key points for me was swing my swing. No swing thoughts, just relax. I hit it straighter and further if I baby my shots, take it easy.

This score was with an 8 on a par 3. We are getting there guys!

Congrats and keep at it man!

Well done to all making progress here, 100 seems such a milestone for me.

I shot 103 at the weekend in my first society competition - my aim was not to embarrass myself but I ended up about mid-table (stableford).

The best part for me was that I enjoyed my round, never got angry or despondent (despite two quad bogeys in a row (9, 7)....) always felt like if I kept it smooth, slow takeaway and didn't use the ol' death grip I would be fine.

Most importantly I shot 49 on the back 9 which to me is the halfway step to breaking 100 - that 3 off the tee on the par 3 could so easily have been avoided and the 9 highlighted an area for improvement (ball below feet, the whole hole was sloped downwards left to right).

Without a doubt what has helped me enjoy golf the most has been being able to drive again, I went 18months without hitting a good drive, but through practice, instruction (which above all has taught me about my swing) and reading lots of tips here and other places (not to mention learning to ignore the ones I know don't apply to me) I am confident off the tee now. However what will help me score much lower will be complete focus on 100yds and in. That is what I plan to do between now and summer.....

I think that a high handicaper should be fitted for a forgiving driver I went with the Callaway X Hot then forgiving wedges I went with the Cleveland Smart Soles S & C, and then a putter that suits your type of putting stroke I went with the Odyssey White Hot Pro #5. I have gone from 36 to 21 in 6 months mainly because after I tee off with the driver I am starting from the fairway most of the time and when I am within 50 meters of the green I can usually get down in 3 strokes at the most because the wedges are so easy to use and I can putt well with the putter. I am still strugling at times with my irons (inconsistant distances) but getting better now I am playing most of them from the fairway.

Completely agree with this.

I'd also add that it is very worthwhile to invest in a solid set of hybrids. Long irons can be a pain so I bought some hybrids to replace just about every one (3,4 & 6). I don't game a 5i or 5h b/c that is the club that I use least.

Know your strengths. If I'm struggling with driver (topping or super slice), or the fairway is tight, I know my 3-wood is good for 220+ off of the tee with a slight fade so I'll hit that. Off the deck, the 3-wood is a no-go for me so I'll hit the 3h.

Course Management. If you struggle with a slice, ALL the time, aim for the first or second cut on the left. I've taken some lessons so my slice isn't what it used to be but I'm guaranteed a 15yd fade. On a miss, i'll fade to the fairway or one of the 1st 2 cuts. On those straight hits, I'll be to the left in the first or second cut. Personally, I think a lot of us appreciate the 1st cut because we don't feel the need to try to help the ball up.

Wedges made easy. I'm no Cleveland rep but I can't say enough good things about the Smart Sole Wedges. I haven't learned to hit the C from outside of 10-15 yards but I can put it close to the pin from that range. The S is by far the easiest club to hit out of the sand that I have ever used.

Lastly, play for the score, not the shot. Your scorecard doesn't come with a highlight reel. Take the high percentage shots (for you) and limit those blowups. Triple putts and triple bogeys add up real fast.

I agree I like Pings and I like the way they layout the info on the website. However it seems as though now all of their clubs are of the Game improvement variety.......But yes would be nice to see more mfg that have a hackers option LOL

The Adams Idea v4 set is pretty awesome for high handicappers - can't go wrong with Cobra's Baffler hybrid/iron set, either.

Completely agree with this.

I'd also add that it is very worthwhile to invest in a solid set of hybrids. Long irons can be a pain so I bought some hybrids to replace just about every one (3,4 & 6). I don't game a 5i or 5h b/c that is the club that I use least.

Know your strengths. If I'm struggling with driver (topping or super slice), or the fairway is tight, I know my 3-wood is good for 220+ off of the tee with a slight fade so I'll hit that. Off the deck, the 3-wood is a no-go for me so I'll hit the 3h.

Course Management. If you struggle with a slice, ALL the time, aim for the first or second cut on the left. I've taken some lessons so my slice isn't what it used to be but I'm guaranteed a 15yd fade. On a miss, i'll fade to the fairway or one of the 1st 2 cuts. On those straight hits, I'll be to the left in the first or second cut. Personally, I think a lot of us appreciate the 1st cut because we don't feel the need to try to help the ball up.

Wedges made easy. I'm no Cleveland rep but I can't say enough good things about the Smart Sole Wedges. I haven't learned to hit the C from outside of 10-15 yards but I can put it close to the pin from that range. The S is by far the easiest club to hit out of the sand that I have ever used.

Lastly, play for the score, not the shot. Your scorecard doesn't come with a highlight reel. Take the high percentage shots (for you) and limit those blowups. Triple putts and triple bogeys add up real fast.

I agree with the above, almost 100%. Well put. My only "argument" is that hybrids don't work well for everyone. I think everyone should give them a try to see if they work well for them, though. I carried a 3,4,5 hybrid for a while and just never hit them all that well. I now have 3,4,5 irons, although I am keeping the 3h in the bag for a while. I like my 3 iron a lot but I've found that I never hit it off the turf. The only time I need that long of a club off the deck is on par 5s, and I'm usually laying up with the 4 or needing to go 250+ so I hit the 3w. the 3h is far more useful off of the tee so I'm keeping it for now.

Anwyay, good points!

I was told that a high handicapper should never use a driver under 12* loft I tried the X Hot 13*5 set to closed to combat my slice but had way to much elevation but was dead straight. I then tried the 11.5* set to closed which takes the loft to 12.5* and it was perfect not quite as straight as the 13.5* but just a consistant slight fade about 1/2 a fairway so I start up the left and end up in the middle most times.

I was told that a high handicapper should never use a driver under 12* loft I tried the X Hot 13*5 set to closed to combat my slice but had way to much elevation but was dead straight. I then tried the 11.5* set to closed which takes the loft to 12.5* and it was perfect not quite as straight as the 13.5* but just a consistant slight fade about 1/2 a fairway so I start up the left and end up in the middle most times.

During my last lesson, my instructor recommended that I increase the loft. I'm at 12.5* with my covert. I lost a bit of distance but didn't have a single ball that completely got away from me.

I had the club face set to left (closed) but my instructor told me that it was actually hurting me because the ball would start left but it had more side spin on it due to the face not being square and was actually increasing my slice. I now have it at neutral.

During my last lesson, my instructor recommended that I increase the loft. I'm at 12.5* with my covert. I lost a bit of distance but didn't have a single ball that completely got away from me.

I had the club face set to left (closed) but my instructor told me that it was actually hurting me because the ball would start left but it had more side spin on it due to the face not being square and was actually increasing my slice. I now have it at neutral.

Ok thanks for the tip I might try mine at neutral next time I'm at the range and see what happens as I really hate the closed look at address I keep thinking if this thing goes dead strght off the club face it is going way left but funnily enough it doesn't happen that often it usually starts left then fades back.

whoever told you that a "high handicapper should never use..." something is wrong. People develop different strengths at different times. People have different swings. What is right for one person is not right for another, regardless of handicap. Handicaps aren't always high for the same reasons. Making a blanket statement about what clubs a person should be using based solely on their handicap is not only incorrect, but can be harmful to that person's improvement.

I agree with the above, almost 100%. Well put. My only "argument" is that hybrids don't work well for everyone. I think everyone should give them a try to see if they work well for them, though. I carried a 3,4,5 hybrid for a while and just never hit them all that well. I now have 3,4,5 irons, although I am keeping the 3h in the bag for a while. I like my 3 iron a lot but I've found that I never hit it off the turf. The only time I need that long of a club off the deck is on par 5s, and I'm usually laying up with the 4 or needing to go 250+ so I hit the 3w. the 3h is far more useful off of the tee so I'm keeping it for now.

Anwyay, good points!

Have had horrific issues trying hybrids personally, it may sound weird but I wonder if for me it is they look so odd when you are at address ? My current setup is D,3,5,7 woods and 5-pw Irons I have a 56* scotch blade I like in the trap. I have recently wondered if I have the clubs "spaced" right in my bag. Other than the fact that I REFUSE to take my 7 iron out of the bag I don't feel like I am "missing" anything, I am sure as I actually improve and begin hitting more full swings ( i tend to club down and ease up a LOT) it may have to be revisited .............

whoever told you that a "high handicapper should never use..." something is wrong. People develop different strengths at different times. People have different swings. What is right for one person is not right for another, regardless of handicap. Handicaps aren't always high for the same reasons. Making a blanket statement about what clubs a person should be using based solely on their handicap is not only incorrect, but can be harmful to that person's improvement.

Ok I will rephrase that, anyone that has a big slice (which is most high handicappers) shouldn't use low lofted drivers as they tend to put less back back spin on the ball and the side spin from the slice overcomes it and they go right. If you use a higher lofted driver it puts more backspin on the ball and overcomes the side spin. Thats why the ball will usually start off straight then as the side spin takes over it starts fading if you put a good swing on the ball it will go straighter for longer as there is less side spin.

Ok thanks for the tip I might try mine at neutral next time I'm at the range and see what happens as I really hate the closed look at address I keep thinking if this thing goes dead strght off the club face it is going way left but funnily enough it doesn't happen that often it usually starts left then fades back.

I hope it helps...loft up and let it fly!

Have had horrific issues trying hybrids personally, it may sound weird but I wonder if for me it is they look so odd when you are at address ? My current setup is D,3,5,7 woods and 5-pw Irons I have a 56* scotch blade I like in the trap. I have recently wondered if I have the clubs "spaced" right in my bag. Other than the fact that I REFUSE to take my 7 iron out of the bag I don't feel like I am "missing" anything, I am sure as I actually improve and begin hitting more full swings ( i tend to club down and ease up a LOT) it may have to be revisited .............

I could never use a hybrid either and then someone gave me a tip, stop thinking that it is a wood and trying to sweep it off the ground, think of it as an iron and hit down on the ball with the same tempo you use for your long irons. And BINGO it worked now I would rather use mt 3 hybrid rather than my 4 iron I am actually thinking abut getting a 4 Hybrid the 4 iron would be my most inconsistent club in my bag.

Playing here http://windsorgolf.com/tour_1/ on Friday weather permitting, hope to improve on my last round of 112 I believe it was...........Also will finally be either joining a mens club OR the NCGA, which means I will be submitting scores towards an official handicap.

Playing here http://windsorgolf.com/tour_1/ on Friday weather permitting, hope to improve on my last round of 112 I believe it was...........Also will finally be either joining a mens club OR the NCGA, which means I will be submitting scores towards an official handicap.

looks like a fun course! good on you for joining a competitive group. having that handicap to work on should help motivate your improvement, too. I know it's done that for me. I just wish I could get more rounds in right now to better it faster :)

Yesterday carded a 111 at a real tought tract, to too it off it was cold and windy. I have a lesson lined up for this Sunday will work on wedges and hybrids. Once this weather turns around need to work on putting.

Played today in 30 degrees just cause I was bored and the bosses were out of the office, carded a 97. Some good some bad, can't wait to lesson time on Sunday. Will be first lesson since I been fitted over a month ago.

Played today in 30 degrees just cause I was bored and the bosses were out of the office, carded a 97. Some good some bad, can't wait to lesson time on Sunday. Will be first lesson since I been fitted over a month ago.

I'm surprised the course was even open at that temperature. Nice shootin in spite of the freeze!

I'm surprised the course was even open at that temperature. Nice shootin in spite of the freeze!
Quite a few courses were open, started at 10 was done by 12 then the rain came.

Who are you taking lessons with? And if you've had some already, what do you think of the instructor?

Who are you taking lessons with? And if you've had some already, what do you think of the instructor?
I am taking lessons with Bruce Olson out of Pecan Grove. I think Bruce is knowledgeable and keeps things simple for me. We haven't done video analysis cause that too technical. We have a good relationship, different I think, straight to the point. Are you in the Houston area? If yes who do you take lessons with?

I am taking lessons with Bruce Olson out of Pecan Grove. I think Bruce is knowledgeable and keeps things simple for me. We haven't done video analysis cause that too technical. We have a good relationship, different I think, straight to the point. Are you in the Houston area? If yes who do you take lessons with?

Yes, I'm in the Houston area. I tried a package of 5 when I started playing golf last summer with a guy at Tour 18. I was really underwhelmed with what training I received. He showed me very little and seemed like he was planning on stretching my lessons out as long as I'd be dumb enough to continue to pay him. I learned more in 2 range trips with a friend than I did in all 5 lessons with the "pro".

I just started with Brian Smith at the Swanson Golf School. He has a lengthy resume and came recommended from Trevor at the Houston Club Champion. I was very impressed with my first lesson with him. He did use high speed video and it helped tremendously. It's easier to understand what someone wants you to do when you can see how wrong you are doing it. What you think you are doing is not always what you are actually doing. He made some minor adjustments in my swing that really seemed to help with accuracy. He also made some equipment change suggestions that were in line with what Trevor told me at my fitting. I went ahead and paid for 5 half hour lessons up front because this guy is expensive at $65 per half hour lesson. I have my second lesson tomorrow morning so I'll follow up here.

Yes, I'm in the Houston area. I tried a package of 5 when I started playing golf last summer with a guy at Tour 18. I was really underwhelmed with what training I received. He showed me very little and seemed like he was planning on stretching my lessons out as long as I'd be dumb enough to continue to pay him. I learned more in 2 range trips with a friend than I did in all 5 lessons with the "pro".

I just started with Brian Smith at the Swanson Golf School. He has a lengthy resume and came recommended from Trevor at the Houston Club Champion. I was very impressed with my first lesson with him. He did use high speed video and it helped tremendously. It's easier to understand what someone wants you to do when you can see how wrong you are doing it. What you think you are doing is not always what you are actually doing. He made some minor adjustments in my swing that really seemed to help with accuracy. He also made some equipment change suggestions that were in line with what Trevor told me at my fitting. I went ahead and paid for 5 half hour lessons up front because this guy is expensive at $65 per half hour lesson. I have my second lesson tomorrow morning so I'll follow up here.

I've had similar experiences with coaches here in DFW. I've paid 4 different ones and will not be paying any of those 4 again. I'm going to see a 5th one soon, but it has been a frustrating search. I hope you find the right coach sooner than I do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back