American vs. European style golf broadcasting

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Handicap
I am sitting watching the Euro Tour even right now and noticed that there is a distinct difference in the styles of broadcasting between the US and Euro tours when it comes to golf. American tournaments on NBC, CBS and The Golf Channel seem to be as much banter, guests, swing analysis as they are watching the players actually hit golf shots. We also get to see very few players on the course. While watching the Euro Tour, while the announcers were monotone, lifeless and boring, it was all golf shots. They go from player to player and you actually get to see a lot more golf being played without the banter from Miller, Faldo or Kostis.

While I like that they show more actual golf and more players with less distractions, the monotone announcing gets to me after a while and I want to take a nap.

I have very similar experiences, and I feel that while the PGA broadcasts are more entertaining, they are also filled with too much of entertainment things and they amount players that get face time is way too small.

However, I don't like the way the European tour is shot, color graded and the graphics are not my favorites either. But the Euro have a lot more cooler style to show super slow motion close ups of interesting shots.

I watch them both of course, so I don't mind the variety.

The production value of American broadcasters is much higher, but there is a lot of fluff. I like seeing replays, etc. though. The problem is that they often end up guessing wrong on contenders, so Scott Stallings wins a tournament out of the blue, and you only saw him hit 4 or 5 shots.

Sent using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S4.

I agree Rich, I love the courses they play over there and I love the quality of the golf they play but the announcing is so different than what we have here. The US is full of type A broadcasters lol.

I can understand the differences you are talking about and I think it all comes down to the natural cultural differences between America and Europe. To a degree I would say that Americans can be more outgoing than Europeans and this can show in many different ways

This is in no way a pop at anyone regardless of their background so please don't take it that way, and there are times when I enjoy the big banter while watching sports but there are times when a more reserved approach suits it better

Take snooker for example, some people find the commentary boring but to me the simple quiet commentary is better

I have very similar experiences, and I feel that while the PGA broadcasts are more entertaining, they are also filled with too much of entertainment things and they amount players that get face time is way too small.

However, I don't like the way the European tour is shot, color graded and the graphics are not my favorites either. But the Euro have a lot more cooler style to show super slow motion close ups of interesting shots.

I watch them both of course, so I don't mind the variety.

I love the color grading comment. When I'm watching Eurpoean golf it's like they are using a bad Instagram filter.

I enjoy both styles of broadcasting, but sometimes I want to watch PGA Tour broadcasts on mute because there is so much fluff. I also appreciate being able to see more golf shots from more players when I tune in to the Euro broadcasts, and their announcers just seem to stick to the point no matter how plain they may sound.

This is a pretty neat thread. Makes for some good discussion based on preferences. I'd like a mix of both really. I like watching more golf regardless of what position the person they're showing is in. I also just can't get over how hard it is to watch when Johnny Miller or Nick Faldo are commentating. I just can't deal with the constant put down of players. ESPECIALLY from Miller.

I think the way American golf is broadcast/produced is in line with most American sports broadcast. No sport is done with simply an announcer describing the action, there is always a second color guy. In golf, we are not the ones they are worried about retaining...they know we will keep watching, even if slightly disgruntled. With the swing breakdowns, fancy cameras, human interest stories etc, they are trying to keep our spouses watching or keep the person who flipped by and saw something interesting and stopped for that quick second.

I love the color grading comment. When I'm watching Eurpoean golf it's like they are using a bad Instagram filter.

HAHA well said.

The lack of Johnny Miller makes me like European commentary more.

Even within the UK there are huge differences, Sky (who have rights to most events) are more "dynamic" in presentation while the BBC are a bit more staid.
I love that on the BBC there are no breaks and you can watch almost continuous coverage if you like (and the digital options are phenomenal). The BBC commentators/pundits are also more articulate IMHO. Sky is fine but can have a bit too much punditry and not enough commentary.

From all coverage, I would personally like to see more shots away from the green, too often they'll all spend too much time going green to green showing players walking lines and lining up, more drives and approaches would be nice.

American vs. European style golf broadcasting

American golf coverage is awful. If Tiger is playing, they will show every shot regardless of how well he is playing. They will concentrate on 2 or 3 players at the top of the leaderboard, and sod anyone else. If those players drop away, you never see them again. Whereas I quite like the CBS commentators, I'd rather watch the NBC coverage with the sound off. I won't even bother to bring up the amount of ad breaks.
In the US, the European coverage is covered by the golf channel, a US broadcaster. Never been a fan of Dougie Donnelly personally. The Sky coverage of golf back home is superb, especially during a major (despite them trying their best to ruin coverage by introducing Monty to the lineup). Butch Harmon is a fantastic commentator and has a superb rapport with the Sky guys. And they actually show a tonne of golf from a wide range of players, which I'm starting to realise is a very strange concept to the broadcasters over here.

Just seeing billboards on the course makes me tired of euro tour coverage.

Mark Crossfield always complains about the UK commentators

ESPN does it best over here. Tirico, Azinger, Strange, etc just make it better, IMO. I do, however, enjoy the Euro Tour as well.

American golf coverage is awful. If Tiger is playing, they will show every shot regardless of how well he is playing. They will concentrate on 2 or 3 players at the top of the leaderboard, and sod anyone else. If those players drop away, you never see them again. Whereas I quite like the CBS commentators, I'd rather watch the NBC coverage with the sound off. I won't even bother to bring up the amount of ad breaks.
In the US, the European coverage is covered by the golf channel, a US broadcaster. Never been a fan of Dougie Donnelly personally. The Sky coverage of golf back home is superb, especially during a major (despite them trying their best to ruin coverage by introducing Monty to the lineup). Butch Harmon is a fantastic commentator and has a superb rapport with the Sky guys. And they actually show a tonne of golf from a wide range of players, which I'm starting to realise is a very strange concept to the broadcasters over here.

I have to agree about our coverage. I have always thought it was terrible. It was just as bad 30 years ago.

I get a little annoyed by all the banter and interviews during a tournament. I'd rather just watch the golf and there are plenty of golfers they could be showing. I haven't watched enough euro coverage to know how I feel about their coverage though.

It doesn't happen all the time but there have been days where I watch 3 hours of coverage and feel like I only watched about 30min of golf.

I've noticed how the Euro Tour coverage has way more actual golf and they use the shot tracker/flight tracker stuff way more often. I love that.
I don't mind the dialogue of the American coverage but I don't need to look at your face when your blabbing about how great Miller was once. Show me some golf, and I don't want to see Tiger unless he is in contention.

It took a long time to enjoy the Euro commentators but I like that they let the golf speak for it's self. They set up the shot well and give good feedback on the outcome it's very soothing to watch. On the flip side I like the American broadcast for the banter and swing analysis. Fehrety and McCord make it interesting for me.

If not for Feherty the CBS coverage would be just awful.

I rather enjoy the euro way of broadcasting. But golf broadcast put me to sleep no matter who is carrying the broadcast

Back