Are You A Course Snob?

Not a snob. Just happy to get out and play anytime and anywhere. The cheaper the better though.

What does your skill level have to do with appreciating a great golf course?

If this was aimed at me, I have to ask, is that really all you got from my post? If it wasn't ignore this post.

As an addendum, I've played courses designed by Nicklaus, RTJ Jr., Hale Irwin, Craig Stadler, and a few lesser known but respected architects like Jim Engh. Some nice tracks in that bunch, some awesome settings, mostly in good to great condition, but that mostly meant that I spent from slightly more to a lot more money to record a higher score. I certainly enjoyed the rounds played there, but no more than I enjoy a round played on any of a half dozen local munis in the Denver area (one of which happens to be designed by Engh, and another by Dye Designs).

As I said, for me it's the nuances of the game of golf that is the attraction for me - top designs or unknowns, perfectly manicured or a bit rough around the edges, and the challenges which both can present. When playing a less perfect course I can immerse myself in the game, and in the feeling that this is how the forefathers of the game played it. For me it's all good.

I guess you could say that I'm a golf snob rather than a course snob, because I don't care much about the track - I just want to be out swinging my clubs and playing my ball somewhere, anywhere.

I guess I kind of am... I always check out a new course on-line before I play. If it's a P.B Dye course, I tend to tense up a little! I hate playing a course in bad condition, and get no real relief in saying "Well, it only cost X amount." Basically I spent 4+ hours playing a course I absolutely didn't enjoy. I would also say that I would rather play an average layout in good condition that a great layout in bad condition. ( Probably because me being bad luck Schleprock, if I play a course in bad condition, I'll find every bad spot lol! ) But yea, I'd spend an extra 20.00 on a good course over an average one any day. If it puts me over my budget money wise, I'll just cut out the coffee etc that week.

I don't mind paying a bit more to play "nicer" course every now and then. But for me, I would prefer playing a cheaper course to be able to play more often. It also makes playing the courses chosen by THP for events that much sweeter for me knowing that they are going to be excellent tracks to play compared to my normal track.

Let me clarify this a bit and first say that I don't mean someone that will not play on lesser courses, but someone that digs in a bit more. Pays attention to the architects design, knows who designed it before teeing it up, searches for the right course, and does not want to settle for a lesser course given the option.

Do you consider yourself "course knowledgeable"? Would you rather pay more once per month to play a great course than twice per month to play an average course?

All of these things should be considered. What do you think?

I can't afford to be. I just enjoy being able to play where I can, when I can. Would I like to be able to play nicer courses? Yes. Do you I get more excited to play top of the line courses in prestine shape? Yes. I can typically play pretty nice courses at a reasonable price and look to try the best deal I can. I would rather play twice per month on an average course.

While I would not call myself a course snob, I will admit to being course illiterate. You could tell me John Doe designed the course, it would mean nothing to me. I honestly have no idea regarding the characteristics of any given designer. I just know that if I have heard the name before, I'm mostlikely going to pay a little extra. And typically, after playing, I'm not really sure why other than the name.

Now if the courses could talk, I'm sure several would say about me, "why did you let this guy on me, I'm better than that."

Last edited:
Not a course snob at all. I would honestly rather play a good course multiple times than play an immaculate course one time. As long the course is in good condition and is reasonably challenging, I am good with it. I just love to play golf!

With the availability so many course around our area I have courses that I enjoy playing more than others. I do like to play as many different courses that I can. There are some courses that I will not play due to different factors such as cost vs value the course brings and customer service. I have never paid attention to who designed a course but I do look at how a course is set up. With that said, I really have never thought about who the architect is but I might start thinking about it now, not that it will change the where I will play though.

Where I'm at I can't really afford to pick and choose, I'm completely happy playing on a course that is less than perfect, as long as I'm not constantly waiting on the tee box.

I'll be moving to a larger city with a lot more options in the coming year though, so my views on that may change.

When I travel though, I almost always want to find a nicer course and pay a little more, because I do appreciate the quality of a course when given an option.

I still won't typically pay more than $75 or so to play, but that's more a financial decision, as my income doesn't justify the cost upgrade to play a premium course over a good course.

The difference between a $25 round and a $75 round is pretty significant in most cases, but the difference between $75 and $125 I don't find to be as great in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say I am. Beyond looking at course layout and pictures online, I don't do too much research. While I'm there, I might note greens that aren't the greatest or tee boxes that have seen better days, but aside from that, I'm just pretty happy to get out there and play. And I've yet to play someplace that was in such poor condition or wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing that I wouldn't go back.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I will play any course at least once. If I like the course, I will go back. I usually don't know anything about who did it, just whether I like it it or not.

I'm far from being a snob but I do look at the clubs course on their website that I am playing in the future to learn a little bit more about it, but not so much who designed it. If I've really enjoyed the course I will look then a little deeper into its history but I tend to read this afterwards as I always buy and use the Strokesavers which tend to be quite informative.

As for costs, some courses over here have got it so wrong with over priced green fees, but, you can play a lot of top courses in Opens which is what I do for a 1/3rd of their normal green fees, I find it a great way to play new courses for less outlay, after all, I played 32 new courses last year :shock:

Nope. I honestly couldnt care less.

PC thing to say is of course I'm not a snob....but that's not the case. Like Hawk, I'm definitely a course snob. Heck, I belong to another forum that just talks about golf course architecture: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/board,1.0.html

I like to know about golf course design and why a hole was laid out the way it was. When it comes to picking courses, I'll drive a little further to play a better course when I'm at home, and when I'm traveling I'll definitely seek out better courses as well. Life is too short to play golf on crappy courses. ;-)

Not a course snob. More of a green snob. I can find joy in playing "cow pasture" courses, as long as they are priced accordingly, because less than stellar lies are just part of the challenge. But if the greens are in bad shape, I will probably not play the course again.

Not sure I'd consider myself a pure course snob but the quality of design and thought process of the architect is important to me when considering repeat play. Definitely not a fan of back and forth courses where I can see five fairways over and I can't stand design that eliminates opportunity. My pet peeve are easy short par 4's and hard long par 4's. The short par 4 should have trouble to create risk/reward whereas the long par 4 created distance as it's defense so the green complex should be welcoming and afford opportunities.

I am not a follower of courses designers, I don't prefer one over another and I don't pretend to care when someone is talking to me about who designed the course. I know Jack designed Grand Cypress and Dye designed TPC Sawgrass. But this knowledge I have picked up over the years and have not studied.

I just like to play golf and be challenge by layout, terrian and surroundings.

Yep, I'm a course snob.

I prefer golf courses created by good designers that are interesting, challenging, maintained and decently priced. But I am not looking for the "country club experience"; my snobbery is reserved for the quality of the golf course. I don't go for goat tracks, short or flat courses and no matter who designed it or how high a course is rated, if its not well maintained then forget it. I would rather pay more for an interesting course with a great layout and smooth greens than a cow pasture I can play twice for cheap.

Luckily I live in the North Denver area and we have a bunch of excellent courses in the $35-$50 range designed by Jay Morrish, Pete Dye, Arthur Hills, Hale Irwin, David Graham, Dick Phelps, Trent Jones, Jr. & Hurzdan Fry. It doesn't hurt the experience that the scenery is usually awesome as well. And if you go to South Denver there's more tracks by Tom Doak, Perry Dye, Pete Dye, Dick Phelps, Jim Engh, Nicklaus, Palmer, Weiskopf, etc. but some can cost a bit more.

I know we're lucky because when I visit places like Atlanta, where my brother & sister live, courses of the same quality there cost 2 to 3 times more than what I pay here. If I lived somewhere else I'd probably have to lower my level of snobbiness so I wouldn't break the bank.

Nope, not a snob at all, actually I've always wanted to know more about courses. I wish I knew more of the architects and what courses they have done.

I guess I am in a way, but mostly just about the combination of condition and cost. I don't like to play the goat tracks, but I won't spend $100 somewhere just because it is supposed to be great and designed by someone famous. Somewhere in the middle is fine with me. If I like it, I'll go back. Not every layout is for everyone so I'll find the ones I like and stick to them.

There is a private course around here that I've played several times that I just hate. It's always well maintained, I just hate the layout. There are only a handful of holes I enjoy. Most people around here love it, but I won't pay to play there. Give me a free round and I'll play it and have a good time, but if I have to spend my own money, I'll go elsewhere.

I don't know if I'd say I'm a snob because at the end of the day I just want to play golf and will play any where, but I prefer playing at courses where a lot of attention was put into the design, which typically creates a lot of character and adds to my experience. And no, it really doesn't necessarily have to do with high end courses, because there are a lot of pricey ones that are poorly designed I don't like, whereas there's also some very well designed munis I would rather play.

Course architecture is something I'm very interested in and spend a lot time reading up on. If I travel to play, I usually do a lot of research on the courses in the area to figure out where I want to go.

I don't pay any attention to who designed the course. I like to play a variety of courses and try to play ones that I haven't been to. I do have favourite courses but will play anywhere I just enjoy the game.

I'm not a course snob but do appreciate a maintained course & especially greens. The course doesn't have to be perfect conditions but seeing a course at least make an effort when the weather conditions are against them means something since I play a lot of country courses.

I don't pay attention to who designed the course or did a redesign of it. I am however interested in the layout and architecture and how the terrain was used and the course fits it.

I am definitely not. While I do like the nicer courses and appreciate all that goes in to them, I am just happy to get out and play, anywhere I can.

Try and find out the most about the course I can before going. Generally view the website, scorecard, and maybe read some reviews. So nope, not snob status yet.

Back