diw1515

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of friendly advice!

Have played very casually 2/3 times a year for as long as I remember but this summer decided I was going to start playing regularly and really get into the game.

Had struggled to hit woods before off the tee so had bought a howson driving iron Few summers ago, similar to a 1 iron I believe.

Have been playing regularly last month or so and have had some success with the driving iron from the tee. Most of the time solid contact and distance but usually way right and now sometime left!

Don't get me wrong I can crush it a good distance and a few times a round I get it perfect but it's inconsistent.

Been reading up and it seems I may have been making things hard for myself, not an easy club to master the driving iron?

Also been reading that a hybrid may be my best bet from the tee? Can anyone recommend a good forgiving hybrid to start off with? Would be looking at second hand until I really got the hang of it.

My scoring about the moment is around 100 a round but generally keeping it straight off the tee is my main problem.

Should also say that with the driver my hook is the biggest problem.

Thanks in advance!

I would check Callaway Pre-Owned. Anything in the X Hot or X 2Hot line is good and the 2014 Edge hybrids are VERY easy to hit and very forgiving.

I like the Adams Idea lines (V3 or V4 Idea Tech, or 2014 New Idea). Cleveland's lines (going back to the Mashie, Mashie+, Classic or 588) are pretty forgiving. Then there is the Cobra Baffler lines too.

If you are battling a slice and looking for a hybrid, I would HIGHLY recommend the Cobra Baffler XL line, I have some and they have been a godsend in terms of helping correct my slice with the hybrids.

Strangely enough I sliced badly with the driving iron but have a hook with the driver

I always recommend the Callaway x2 hot hybrids. Wicked easy to hit from almost any lie, nice distance , and pretty darn forgiving.

I think Callaway Preowned is having a sale right now to. I have bought multiple clubs from them and everyone has been in better shape than described.

I love my x2 hot 3H. Would highly recommend it

If you are battling a slice and looking for a hybrid, I would HIGHLY recommend the Cobra Baffler XL line, I have some and they have been a godsend in terms of helping correct my slice with the hybrids.

How does the Baffler compare to the Fly-Z? (If you've tried one). I was going to go with Fly-Z but maybe I'll try the Baffler since it's much cheaper, that is if I can find a 5H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would check Callaway Pre-Owned. Anything in the X Hot or X 2Hot line is good and the 2014 Edge hybrids are VERY easy to hit and very forgiving.

I've gamed the X2Hot 3H for a season and a half now and I love it. However, calling it "forgiving" depends on how you judge the word. I would say that the face and head as a whole is very forgiving but the stock shaft is not. You have to learn how to play it. I love it as 200 yards but I had a lot of tops and duffs before I go the handle of it. Of course, off the tee is different.

Now, having said that, I personally think it's hard to beat the Adams Red for tee shots and the Adams Tight Lies for off the carpet when it comes to forgiveness. Still, if I were going to recommend one club to someone looking for a forgiving non-iron is the Callaway Heavenwood (latest model). Such a pleasure to hit. I've thought about kicking my Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep out for it but that club isn't going anywhere yet.

That is really interesting. Can you explain further how a shaft is forgiving or not forgiving? Genuinely curious as I have not heard that in the past.

That is really interesting. Can you explain further how a shaft is forgiving or not forgiving? Genuinely curious as I have not heard that in the past.

Yeah, after re-reading it, it's not really accurate, but what I meant is if by "forgiving," the OP means easier to hit, the shaft on the X2 Hot can take some getting used to (at least the 3 and 4, I have not hit any others). Now, let me exacerbate this a bit...for some reason (I did it intentionally), I put the Aldila Tour Green shaft (same as my 5 Deep) on my 3H. The Tour Blue is more "forgiving" in my mind. Perhaps I should edit my post to make that clear but let me address your question directly.

So back when Karsten introduced perimeter weighting (at least, I think he did...it was before my time), the term forgiveness entered golf, meaning specifically to reduce the negative effects of off center or off plane shots . But if we extend the meaning of forgiveness to mean things that lessen the effects of bad swings, I do think shafts can be more or less forgiving. A slower swinger with a stiff-tipped shaft might have trouble lofting the ball, changing the angle of decent to something that might be considered "too" shallow. I know that's not the same as perimeter weighting or variable face thickness, especially since the same shaft in a different golfer's hands would produce different results, but I tend to think it's a pretty reasonable analogy.

For instance, if you talk to iron snobs, they will call perimeter weighted clubs "shovels" with great derision in their voices (or posts). Likewise, some people would rather hit sub-optimal shots with a stiff shaft than admit that a regular shaft may make more sense. I also think that the depth of the face can be more or less forgiving, as I learned when it took me a bit to get the handle of the deep face on my 5 Deep off the turf.

tl;dr version: Anything that reduces the effects of bad shots - including a club designed to make reasonable loft easier to obtain - is meant for some degree of game improvement and therefore is forgiving. Maybe I'm wrong but that is what I was thinking.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

It sounds like you may need to hit some hybrids to realize what your tendency might be there (i.e. slice, hook). If I were a betting man, I'd guess a slice because I suspect ball position, setup and shaft length are playing into your miss and your miss will probably be more like the more similar iron.

Another thing about hybrids is that they really range visually, from ones that look like driving irons to ones that look like fairway woods. Some have lots of offset and some have none at all. You kind of have to find what looks good to your eye.

For most, getting the right hybrid setup is a little trial and error. Many here change clubs a lot, myself included. Having said that, through trial and error, I've pretty much learned what's going to work. The hybrids you pick first likely aren't going to be the ones you end up with long term.

My advice? Go to the used rack at the store. Hit a bunch. See which one you like. Don't pay more than ~ $70. Play it on the course and then re-visit at the end of the season.

If you ask me used ones that are good starting points, I would say:
- Iron style that is still forgiving and offers some help: Adeas Idea Pro
- Mini FW style: Tour Edge Trilogy
- Mid-sized, all around performer: Cleveland 588
Admittedly, I don't like a lot of offset. All my picks reflect that.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Ping Karsten hybrids are easy to hit and straight. You could also try a shorter driver and make sure the shaft is not too soft or you will have accuracy problems. Also my bio cell 5 wood is really easy to hit and straight and long if you get a chance to try one.

Thanks for the replies so far, really appreciate it. Keep them coming!

was recommended the tm rbz by someone else, any love for that?

think I'm going to go to the local range and hit a few from the used section, see what feels right. The driving iron has to go....feel like I'm making real progress everywhere on the course apart from the tee!

The adams a12 hybrids should be very affordable now and are very forgiving.

Love the Adams Idea A7 hybrids. Just so easy to hit. Cheap too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading over a lot of these responses I'd say any hybrid will be more forgiving or easier to hit than what you have. Considering you're just getting back into the game I'd suggest you go down to a local golf shop and hit some used clubs and pick up something cheap that feels good. Dont' worry about the brand or anything else. Just ask to hit 4, 5, or 10. Just find something you seem to hit well over and over and feel comfortable in your hand(and above the ball).

If you stick with the game, then you can really start narrowing down a brand you prefer, because they all offer various advantage/disadvantages. I have just seen too many guys try and get back into golf(or just start the game) and they blow way too much money on clubs and end up discouraged and quitting because they can't hit the club they bought online for $200.

Again, thanks for the replies so far.

they had a disappointing amount of clubs down at my local range today but I did hit the callaway x2 hybrid. Hooked it 80% of the time although was getting a decent contact on it

i was trying to hit it like an iron but probably not enough.

i also mistakenly bought the club i posted a link to 2 posts above, reckon it might be tough to hit? Although I have heard tour versions don't have draw bias?

ill give it a go anyway, only cost 20 pounds (yes I'm from UK!) so worth a few hits.

if it doesn't work out and I'm hooking that anyone recommend a hybrid with fade bias that's easy to strike?

Again, thanks for the replies so far.

they had a disappointing amount of clubs down at my local range today but I did hit the callaway x2 hybrid. Hooked it 80% of the time although was getting a decent contact on it

i was trying to hit it like an iron but probably not enough.

i also mistakenly bought the club i posted a link to 2 posts above, reckon it might be tough to hit? Although I have heard tour versions don't have draw bias?

ill give it a go anyway, only cost 20 pounds (yes I'm from UK!) so worth a few hits.

if it doesn't work out and I'm hooking that anyone recommend a hybrid with fade bias that's easy to strike?

The one you bought is a great one actually. Piece of cake to hit, easy to launch (despite the Pro marking), dead straight and sets up open. I think you will be really happy, particularly if your miss is left.

Good stuff!

ill report back with my findings!

Back