Driver Shaft Question

D.Witt

Reaction score
Outside of visiting a club fitter, what are some signs that a golfer is using a shaft that is too stiff for their swing ?

Ball flight.
Lack of feel

Ball flight.
Lack of feel

any truth to the thought that if they miss is a block, the shaft might be too stiff? the theory being that the player doesn't swing fast enough to get the shaft to load and unload properly to square the clubface? i know i've heard that before, just not sure if it's accurate.

Add to the above symptoms of flight and lack of feel, I find inconsistent direction - left and right as the golfer struggles with the shaft and tries to swing out of his shoes.

It's hard to know for sure without getting on a monitor and doing some comparison.

Ball flight could be too low, but it could be more about the profile of the shaft and not the flex.

You could hit a blocked shot, but that could be due to total weight and/or swing weight and how it affects the rate of rotation of the club face (among many other reasons swing related vs shaft related).

You could find a two-way miss, but some people (myself included) tend to have worse dispersion with lighter, more flexible shafts. Typically, heavier and/or stiffer shafts offer reduced/improved dispersion but the ball may not be going where you want to go. You could also lose distance with heavier/stiffer if you are not getting the ball in the air and the carry you need.

Loss of distance was for me.

Im abit of a shaft ***** and have quite a few different shafts for different heads. I find the stouter the shaft the flight is lower and more left (draw/hook). My current gamer Cobra Bio Cell+ I used it with the stock matrix shaft in x-flex, lower flight even at highest loft 11* and very draw bias. Couldn't fade it at all. New shaft this week, Fujikura Pro 63 S-flex. Set at 10.5* after 3 rounds flight is much higher and I can move it both ways. Personally for me too stiff left, too soft right.

Back