European Tour: Golfer makes 17 on first hole

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
Whenever you have a bad opening hole to your round, just think, it's probably not as bad as this guy.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/13063603/andrey-pavlov-scores-17-first-hole-lyoness-open

ATZENBRUGG, Austria -- Russian golfer Andrey Pavlov needed 17 strokes on a single hole in excellent weather conditions at the Lyoness Open on Friday, tying for the second worse score on the European Tour.

On the par-5 first, Pavlov found the water on six attempts. The Diamond Country Club course is known for its many water hazards.

Chris Gane also scored a 17 at Gleneagles 12 years ago, still three strokes less than Philippe Porquier's record of 20 at the French Open in 1978.

After entering the event on invitation, the 1,598th-ranked Pavlov opened with a 1-under 71 on Thursday.

Gregory Bourdy of France shot a 67 to go 12 under and hold a five-stroke clubhouse lead.

Ouch! It's got to be hard to regain focus after a start like that.

How can you even come back from that? Looking at the leaderboard he's not even last place but at +18 after 2 rounds, he's done.

I think I can safely say that I could have beat him on that hole, haha.

Good on him for not just walking off the course after that though.

At least he can say the rest of the round likely can't get any worse. Fire at the par 3 flags after that for a HIO prize! Haha

How is that possible? I wasn't in Austria and Andrey isn't any of my pseudonyms. :act-up:

Ouch makes me feel better anout doubling my last opening hole for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with an 11 a few weeks ago. Put 3 balls in the water. I've gotten 12's before. Never had a 17.

Been there. No matter who you are this sucks

I didn't know Kevin Na had a Russian twin

Ouch. I officially don't feel near as bad about my crappy +12 on 9 holes when this guy did +12 on one hole!

Golf is hard.

I did that at Tiffany Greens (the course in KC they used to hold a Senior Tour event on). Makes for a long ass day when you are 12 over after one hole.

Last edited:
Yikes, that hurts.

He should play with Pudge and I, no way we would have wrote down a 17 on the scorecard.

In Soviet Russia, golf ball plays YOU!

Hey, at least the guy can know that someone else did worst than him.

6 in the drink. Ive done that.

Hopefully there's a driving range at whatever gulag they send him to for embarrassing Mother Russia.

TS there is still hope brother!!!

Rapid fire responses.

Tin Cup.
At least its not the worst score ever.
I wonder what equitable score control thinks of that.

~Rock

Hopefully there's a driving range at whatever gulag they send him to for embarrassing Mother Russia.

Putin will probably blame the course and have everyone involved in the tournament "taken care of" for embarrassing his glorious champion golfer.

Actually the golfer was ranked near the bottom of the Euro tour and had only been in a few events so he'll probably not pop up again.

I fast-forwarded through my recording of the the round today to see if they showed the carnage, but it did not appear they did. I guess Euro-tour announcers are too nice.

I fast-forwarded through my recording of the the round today to see if they showed the carnage, but it did not appear they did. I guess Euro-tour announcers are too nice.
Man I'm really curios, I really wanted to see it.

Back