Wedge Play: Changing Ball Position

sparksjr

Reaction score
Handicap
Traveling
Lots of threads on ball position, I didn't find an answer to this, if I missed it I apologize.

I am getting serious about my wedge play this year. When the weather clears and I can hit the range I want to see if there is any difference when I hit my wedges from the different ball positions. Forward, middle and back with a GW should produce slightly different distances...right?

So my question is. Those of you that move the ball forward and back with your wedges to play different distances...about how far do you move the ball and what kind of distance differences are you seeing?

Thanks!

sparks ive been playing a PW,52,56,60 for 3 years now so i dont have to hit multiple distances with one club. with me moving the ball more then a ball back or forward gives me directional problems.

i would work on control going into impact and your follow through. for a low shot feel like your club head goes through the ball and stays low to the ground and finish your follow thorugh waist high, then shoulder high, then regular full. the lower you hit the shot the less distance it will travel up to your full shot. this is how a lot of pros do distance with the short clubs.

For me, I might play it slightly back if I want to knock it down a little and have it scoot forward when it hits. Maybe a ball or so. And I might play it just slightly forward if I want it to go a bit shorter, but still swing full. But I tend to just play them pretty centered.

If I want to knock it down a little, I'll go a ball back and open my stance a little. Try small changes at first until you start to see what you are looking for then maybe refine it from there.

JM

I was never taught to vary ball position with wedges for distance control, only height of the shot.

Here's the way I was taught:

Learn your full comfortable distances with all wedges. Grip down 1" and get your full comfortable swing distances. Open the face slightly and get the full swing distances with all your wedges. I play 4 wedges, so that would give me 12 different distances from 120 yards and in.

Depends on the shot for me. I play the ball back or forward depending on what I want to do.

Keep in mind that changing the position of the ball also changes the angle of attack, thus changing the amount of spin, thus changing the flightpath and the way the ball behaves when landed. :)

Ball position will not affect distances enough for you not to play the ball in the same position on most shots. You move it back or front to change trajectory

Depends on the shot for me. I play the ball back or forward depending on what I want to do.

Agree..for me on chips, its back and pitches are center or slightly forward.

3/4-full wedges are dead center.

I do. For example, if I play my 60* 1-2" left of center (roughly where I play it for all of my "stock" iron shots), then I'll hit it high about 70-75 yards. It won't have a lot of spin on it, but it will usually drop and stop with a thud. If I play it 4-5" right of center, I'll get a low, spinny shot that will go 85-90 and hop once or twice before stopping.

I think Freddie pretty much explained it perfectly. Ball position is only going to affect trajectory not distance especially with wedges.

Back