Did a little recon today while out and about.

phenom4hire

Reaction score
Handicap
18-19
Wife wanted to go shopping today and out to eat since we didnt celebrate valentines day on friday. Anyway instead of going to Savannah like originally planed I conned my way into driving over the border into South Carolina and a little island we all know as Hilton Head. I thought it might be fun and a good idea to check out the area for the upcoming event on March 15. Without further ado here are my findings.

Food: Apart from dinner thats already scheduled there are numerous restaurants to choose from for all the other meals. Ihop for breakfast if you dont eat at the hotel. Olive Garden, Carrabas, Longhorn Steakhouse, and most of the other restaurants that you would expect to find in a well traveled shopping destination. Convenience stores had all the conveniency store stuff, not that it matters.

Shopping: For those who are bringing the SO or looking to get in some shopping as I will be bringing my family for the weekend with me, there are a plethora of shopping options. The best are probably the Tanger Outlets with 2 locations approximately 5 minutes apart. They have all the clothing stores and coach for the women, etc. In the same area you will find target, best buy, home depot, lowes, dicks sporting goods, walmart and other stores that tend to congregate together. So to be clear those who are coming and not playing should have plenty of time killing activity to get them through the day.

Golf Supplies: Apart from the pro shop at the course, I discovered a few equipment stores that might be helpful looking to pick up things during the weekend or otherwise. First is Edwin Watts. Its clean, decent size, good selection, pretty helpful staff. Not many discounts and only one hitting bay. I will say that the guy putting shafts and grips on was very helpful and pretty fast at it. Next door is a little store called golf warehouse. They have a minimal selection of name brand stuff, mostly knock off clubs and stuff. They did have quite a few grips and whatnot and some neat headcovers and stuff. The best place that I went is in the Tanger Outlets 2 right next to the Coach outlet which I must say was a brilliant move location wise. Wife looking through that huge coach store gives guys all the time in the world in a golf store. The store was well stocked, had good prices, had a guy who was really helpful going around assisting customers, etc. If I had to get something not at the club it would be from this store as it had the best vibe and prices. I believe there are a few more in the area such as the Dicks sporting goods but alas the day is only so long.

Course: So the course is situated pretty far inland on the island and takes a bit to get there through a couple of gates and stuff. I must have passed a gazillion courses on the way and they all looked pretty good to me. I get there park the car and then I remembered, I am wearing blue tennis shoes, jeans, camo hoodie. I was thinking crap they may not let out there at all. Of course this wasnt the case. One of the Cart guys came out and greeted me on the way to the clubhouse and we chatted a bit and he led me out to the range and practice area and told me to take my time looking around. I took a few pics with my phone. They arent great but you get the idea. The guy said the greens are pristine right now. I mean the putting area was one of the better looking greens Ive been on so I took his word for it.

Clubhouse

20140215_142316_zps68c8ef5c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Putting Green

20140215_142547_zps4593e048.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Driving Range

20140215_142604_zpsae58946b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

View from 1st Tee Box.

20140215_142917_zps313a36cb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Final Remarks: The whole Hilton Head Island area was way nicer than I expected. I seen no trash anywhere on the way in. Everybody seemed really nice and laid back. I cannot freaking wait to tee it up with you guys in a month. Let me know what you think.

So awesome....love the recon....man I miss palmetto dunes. ..I can't wait to be back. And yes the whole Island is just so clean and awesome

Awesome recon job, that putting green will be awesome to test the new bstone putter(hopefully)

First tee box looks like it handle the swarm of THPers well

Great job phenom, thanks for the info and pics. See you next month.

Enjoyed the recon, phenom. I've been there many times, but it's always good to be reminded. Nice pics. Thanks.

Awesome recon job, that putting green will be awesome to test the new bstone putter(hopefully)
It would be cool if we could purchase them through THP, and pick them up at the outing.
TD-01 in True Balance please....

Looks gorgeous!

I thought this thread would get a little more attention with the invitational coming up. Perhaps the title is too obscure.

I thought this thread would get a little more attention with the invitational coming up. Perhaps the title is too obscure.

Maybe so, why don't you link it in the HHI thread?

Excuse my ignorance DawgDaddy, what would be the easiest way to do that?

Back