Recommended Courses in Rhode Island?

POKeefe

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone have any recommended courses in Rhode Island? My father and I will be in the area visiting family from 6/27 - 7/5 and want to get some golfing in. Prefer courses on the more affordable side than amazing, but don't know what's good as we've never played in that area.

I was going to say Newport National, but it's in season so you're probably looking at $150 for a round. I played Montaup in Portsmouth a few weeks back as a guest of TeedUpThoughts, I believe they're semi-private so hopefully you can book there. Great course, nice water views, and plenty of sand traps - I think I found every one of them!

Anyone have any recommended courses in Rhode Island? My father and I will be in the area visiting family from 6/27 - 7/5 and want to get some golfing in. Prefer courses on the more affordable side than amazing, but don't know what's good as we've never played in that area.

Depends on where in RI you are going to be and what price point. A few Id recommend are Montaup in Portsmouth, Newport National and Green Valley in Middletown, Triggs in Providence (Donald Ross course). Many of the private and semi private courses around are looking for business during the week, so if you call ahead and ask the pro you could play one of them as well (sky is the limit there though). A couple that border RI but are good courses are Swansea CC, Segregansett (private but allow weekday play), and Fall River CC (member for a day for $50 with a cart).

Let me know if you have any questions, or need suggestions on places to eat! Enjoy RI

Depends on where in RI you are going to be and what price point. A few Id recommend are Montaup in Portsmouth, Newport National and Green Valley in Middletown, Triggs in Providence (Donald Ross course). Many of the private and semi private courses around are looking for business during the week, so if you call ahead and ask the pro you could play one of them as well (sky is the limit there though). A couple that border RI but are good courses are Swansea CC, Segregansett (private but allow weekday play), and Fall River CC (member for a day for $50 with a cart).

Let me know if you have any questions, or need suggestions on places to eat! Enjoy RI

Thanks! My dad grew up in Coventry and we will be staying in Glocester. He didn't start golfing until later on, so he isn't familiar with golf in that area. We're looking to stick to $50 or under pp with cart, but we're only planning on playing during the week.

Thanks! My dad grew up in Coventry and we will be staying in Glocester. He didn't start golfing until later on, so he isn't familiar with golf in that area. We're looking to stick to $50 or under pp with cart, but we're only planning on playing during the week.

Ah, that's the other side of the world from where I live (small state mentality around here). I haven't played many courses over there but I would look into Exeter CC, Connecticut National should be close by, and Triggs in Providence would still be a good choice.

Ah, that's the other side of the world from where I live (small state mentality around here). I haven't played many courses over there but I would look into Exeter CC, Connecticut National should be close by, and Triggs in Providence would still be a good choice.

Triggs is one we'll definitely check out. Looks like RI courses upcharge a lot for carts, so we might bring along push carts.

Triggs is one we'll definitely check out. Looks like RI courses upcharge a lot for carts, so we might bring along push carts.

I've noticed that this year as well, I usually walk with my cart so it's not something I come across often.

Fall River CC was a fun course when I played it numerous times 20 years ago

Fall River CC was a fun course when I played it numerous times 20 years ago

They have a good deal going on now, $50 member for a day including cart. I've yet to play there but hole to do so this year

Connecticut National is near where we're staying, so it sounds like a good one to hit up as well. I figure we'll probably get 3 rounds in when we're there. Maybe those 2 and a cheaper muni. Fall River is a little bit of a hike from Glocester. Any cheap muni type courses that aren't in bad condition (GolfNow deal type places)?

Another course that might be an option too is Shining Rock in MA. Anyone play that one before?

Another course that might be an option too is Shining Rock in MA. Anyone play that one before?

Highly recommend it. Played it two weeks ago, fairways, are in good shape and the greens are the fastest around Boston that I've played.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Highly recommend it. Played it two weeks ago, fairways, are in good shape and the greens are the fastest around Boston that I've played.

Haha, that actually scares me a little with my dad being a 25 HCP and me being a 19. Looks like some great options though between that course, Triggs, and Connecticut National, thanks guys! Still would love to hear if there's a really cheap muni that isn't awful to go to while we're in the area. I know in Baltimore we have a few highly underrated courses that people from out of the area may not checkout.

Olde Scotland Links in Bridgewater, MA pretty affordable during the week links style and very forgiving on the front. Back plays a little tougher but still pretty open. Good luck and have fun!

Plugging Glocester into GolfNow returns the following local courses & deals for a Thursday:

Foster CC 18 holes $39 w/cart
Country View 18 holes $47 w/cart ($27 for Hot Deal)
Louisquisset Golf Club 18 holes $35 w/cart

I grew up in Glocester and there is a course there called Melody Hills or at least there was. I haven't been back there for years, but will be there July 23 for a week.

An hour south down 395, but Shennecossett GC in Groton, CT looks like it is $40 bucks midweek after 12:00PM for 18 and a cart via golf now. Donald Ross track right along LI sound.

Playing:

Monday: Connecticut National
Tuesday: Shining Rock
Wednesday: Triggs Memorial
Thursday: Foster Country Club

Able to get each round for under $50 per person with cart. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I have to say, Connecticut National was a real treat. Greens were tough and it was fairly narrow, but it was in excellent condition and it had some fun, quirky holes.

Back