Why do you like or dislike Flat Brims

It's like asking why one dislikes leisure suits. Because they are awful.

Trying to look different for the sake of looking different wreaks of trying too hard.

Really for me it is about fitting my huge head. I am not kidding here. The flat bill styles are the only ones that fit in a fitted hat now(i hate snap backs). And on top of it the only ones that fit are Callaway, Nike and Titleist once in a while. I cant wear that puma hat its awful to me.

I do not want to offend anyone so to keep it simple, I don't like they way then look. Maybe Punk is the incorrect term but I prefer more traditional clothing.
No worries, I was just curious.

I think that look silly if you are older than 13 especially if you ware the same colored hat and shirt

I you are any 30 plus guy you just look like you are trying to be cool

I don't have a problem with them, I would just never wear one. If you look good in one and want to wear one, good for you.

Having an opinion for other golfers when it comes to fashion is pointless. We're talking about a sport where plaid and stripes are acceptable. I like them on rickie and hunter, but I am a traditional hat guy.

I prefer fitted flat brims simply because they fit my head better. Growing up, I played a lot of baseball, and we would go back and forth between different combinations of flat, curved brims, velcro and fitted. I have a rather large head with long hair and the bended bill combined with a velcro back strap just doesn't fit me at all. I try to keep it simple by just wearing a black fitted nike flat brim L/XL. Not a fan of the stereotype "swaggy" snap back stuff.

First off, they look terrible on me. If they're white I look like I'm gonna go bake a cake. Too big, too square and just not for me.

Originally they kind of had that "thug" (sorry Richard Sherman) stigma but seeing them on golfers has lessened that for me.
I still don't like seeing players wearing them although some can pull it off to a point.

Fowler and his ears tucked in has sent me over the edge. How friggin stupid does that look!

The first thing I do when I put on a hat is grab the brim and bend it. I do it almost every time I put a hat on my head no matter how bent the brim is. Probably just a habit from my baseball days growing up. Obviously can't do that with a flat brim ... or it wouldn't be flat anymore.

I'm a ball player too and bend the crap out of my brims. Flat brims just look clownish to me.

The problem with the popularity of them is that hat shops carry fewer and fewer classic fitting hats. Super frustrating.

sent without the boss's knowledge...

It's like asking why one dislikes leisure suits. Because they are awful.

Trying to look different for the sake of looking different wreaks of trying too hard.

Wow. It's a bit disheartening that something as simple as a hat can illicit this type response. It should be chalked up as simply different strokes for different folks.

I think that look silly if you are older than 13 especially if you ware the same colored hat and shirt

I you are any 30 plus guy you just look like you are trying to be cool

I'm over 30 and the only thing I'm trying to be is a better golfer. THP espouses looking good on the course and most match colors, somehow the bill being flat kills it?

Personally, I like the flat bill hats. Add just a slight bend to em and they are perfect. Nice and wide for sun protection and if they are the fitted flexfit, very comfortable. Did I mention they look awesome?

Iv worn hats my entire life. Untill the end of last year I swore id never wear a flat brim, until I got one from my awsome secret santa (thanks again). Wearing it lately has been cool and im actually beginning to like them. Even bought little man one lol

I like sun protection however I don't think the flat bill would look good on a 63 year old. Now if they had the brim going the entire way around it might work well for sun protection :confused2:.

Having an opinion for other golfers when it comes to fashion is pointless. We're talking about a sport where plaid and stripes are acceptable. I like them on rickie and hunter, but I am a traditional hat guy.

Wow. It's a bit disheartening that something as simple as a hat can illicit this type response. It should be chalked up as simply different strokes for different folks.

Nobody said anything about the golfer or the person wearing them. Asked about the hat and the response is about the hat. I could care less who wears them, when they wear them or if they prefer them.

I like sun protection however I don't think the flat bill would look good on a 63 year old. Now if they had the brim going the entire way around it might work well for sun protection :confused2:.

So I know what im bringing up to ya.. ill get ya a bright puma brim had :)

Hate them for the same reason I hate checkered pants - they flat out look awful. And no, it's not because I am an older guy - I wear a lot of the brighter colors, prints, etc these days the younger guys wear. I just think the flat brims look ridiculous, and defeats the purpose of the hat in the first place.

Flat Brims remind me of Urban Rappers.

I believe they go well with baggy pants that fall to the thighs, Extra Large NBA jerseys and lots of hanging jewelry.

However, if you've got tattoos to show and rhyming lyrics to boot, Go for it. We all enjoy entertainment!

Last edited:
They just look too big to me. And I think it's from growing up, when everyone tried to get their brims curved, even throwing some rubber bands around it to get it curved more. I just like a normal size hat with a normal curved brim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With my big ole melon, I can't imagine that they would ever look right, and it is just one of many fashion trends that would be seen as me trying to be someone that I am not.

I don't care for the look personally, but if someone wants to wear them, that's fine. I also don't like it when someone bends the bill too much, that looks dumb to me too. I guess I don't like extremes.

It's really hard to say "why" someone dislikes something sometimes and for me this is one of those times.
The only thing I can say about flat brims is that to me, they just look goofy.

It really depends on the person wearing them for me - I think some can pull off the look better than others. Personally, I used to dislike flat brims until somewhat recently, but now own a Srixon tour yellow flatbrim and will be the owner of one of the Keegan Bradley flatbrim hats soon. To each their own, fashion is all relative.

Cannot and will not wear a flat bill hat. I did give one a try, but I just looked goofy. I just can't stand the look of them regardless of the age of the person wearing them. Not judging the person wearing them mind you. Just the way the cap looks on that person. Personal preference.

It may be because I'm too old, but I think they just look silly.

Exhibit A:

hat-history-justin-bieber_612x612.jpg

For me, no way, my kids, no way. You want to do it, have at it. Parshooter's photo above is all the reasoning I need to offer!

Back