At what skill level does a tour ball lower your score

Jugger18

Reaction score
Handicap
While I prefer a your ball for feel. I don't think it actually makes me score any better. Thoughts?

Although I don't think I'm "good enough" for a tour ball, I think it helps my short game and thus helps my score.
With today's "distance" tour balls, or the less spiny ones, I don't feel like I'm adding much if any side spin with the longer clubs. At least I'm not seeing too much side to side variance compared to non tour balls. So I like playing them.
Many of the tour distance balls actually have less driver spin than mid grade balls, which equals more distance for me, an added benefit.

For me it is once you don't lose multiple balls during a single round. Tour level balls are so much better around the greens which make it completely worth the cost as long as you're not going through 6 per round.

i prefer a ball that spins well off irons and around greens... i dont think any ball will inherently lower your score. just fining the one that performs well and does what you want it to do will help you be confident in your shots

If you mean more FIR and GIR with a tour ball, for me it really works. I get deeper penetrating ball flights and they chunk up great around tge field. Ever since being fitted correctly for the right ball I have been seeing my scores lower. But alot of that has also been with practice and finding my own swing. I can say tour balls can help lower scores but nothing lowers scores like proper practice and lessons.

I think a tour ball will help your game at nearly any level. I think just about any time you have to police up a pitch mark, you should be putting. And a tour ball, in my experience, helps make that happen. I think there are shots that an improving golfer would really benefit from that are only really viable with a ball that you can put a good amount of spin on.

I think as soon as you're able to stop pumping golf balls into the woods on a regular basis, it's worth investing in an above average golf ball.

Tour balls spin more. Period. If you constantly slice or hook, tour balls will magnify this.

With the plethora of solid ball choices out there for under 35 bucks, hard to justify spending 45 plus for a dozen balls.

With that said: Golfers who play on hard greens (hard to stop) and players who prefer the Flop shot over the often easier Bump and Run, should consider playing a urethane covered ball.

Last edited:
I don't think at tour ball will help lower your score. I do think a ball that is fit for you can help lower your score.

Playing the same ball that fits your game round after round will help you rule out the ball for your troubles. This may help lead to your improvement. Doesn't have to be a tour ball, just one that fits your game or the game you're trying to have.

Last edited:
A follow up. Do you think a tour pro would score as well using a non tour ball?

A follow up. Do you think a tour pro would score as well using a non tour ball?

Yes, as tour players scored just fine using Top Flight balls before the Pro V1 came to market.

I think tour balls: softer, better trajectory, longer distance, great backspin on the green, and pricey (cmiiw).

If average driver club speed <110mph or iron club speed <95mph or loose half a dozen+ balls per round, why wasting money for tour balls... Just sayin'

Hell, the other day on my local driving range, some rich CEO guy bought five dozen tour balls on the proshop and hit 'em all instead of a bucket of driving range balls. His swing is so so, he sliced, hooked, grounded you name it. But Why? Cause he had the money & he wanted to hit the best balls available there is ... Crazy

I think tour balls: softer, better trajectory, longer distance, great backspin on the green, and pricey (cmiiw).

If average driver club speed <110mph or iron club speed <95mph or loose half a dozen+ balls per round, why wasting money for tour balls... Just sayin'

Hell, the other day on my local driving range, some rich CEO guy bought five dozen tour balls on the proshop and hit 'em all instead of a bucket of driving range balls. His swing is so so, he sliced, hooked, grounded you name it. But Why? Cause he had the money & he wanted to hit the best balls available there is ... Crazy

So golfers who don't swing over 110mph can't benefit from the extra spin from a tour ball regardless of skill level? I would completely disagree with that statement and have seen and witnessed otherwise.

It's not the ball that lowers the score, it's the guy hitting it in the hole. If it was the ball, then a LOT more guys would be playing the Tour ball than the Mojo's I find a lot of.

So golfers who don't swing over 110mph can't benefit from the extra spin from a tour ball regardless of skill level? I would completely disagree with that statement and have seen and witnessed otherwise.

Just saying... What I meant was by a bit Exagerrating... Of course single-mid hdc players can take advantage by using tourney balls.

I believe most low handicappers have great swing speed.

I believe: Bogey golfers will find themselves out of bounds and/or short and offline more with a high compression spinny tour ball.

Titleist and Srixon have Polar opposite marketing messages. Titleist wants everyone to buy their 45 dollar ball because they make more money off them. Srixon advertises that a golfer should play the ball that fits his skill level.

To me: Srixon wins the logical sniff test.

Back