Range session before round?

kc720

Reaction score
Handicap
2manyclubs
I know there are threads on how early do you show up and pre round warm up routine and such... I want to narrow it down some. Given that you will hit the range, how many balls do you hit? Do you hit all clubs? Or do you prefer to just chip and putt? I find that of I hit too many on the range, I tend to struggle on the course. Some of my best rounds come after hitting less than 20 balls, just strerching and warming up. No pounding drivers...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I was one of the replies that hits the range if the course has one. Usually its just the smallest bucket available. Working my way through most of the bag, building up to a few with the driver.

Usually I'm hoping that everything feels nice and that the shanks don't appear suddenly causing a massive drop in confidence levels!

The more I hit the better I play. I prefer to hit at least 100 balls.

I normally work solely on my wedges on the range prior to a round. Before heading off the range I will hit no more than 5 balls with the Driver.

If I hit 20 balls before a typical round then I have hit to many. I am not trying to find a swing, I am just warming up. If I have no time constraints and I am with good friends ie. Morgan Cup the I hit til we are done

I like to hit 20 or so just to loosen up. Also gives me a chance to see which swing showed up that day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No range balls for me. Just about 2 minutes of stretching and 4 or 5 practice swings on the 1st tee box.

If I hit the range before a round, it is the smallest basket of balls they have available.....I take enough shots on the course itself that I don't want to hit another 50/100 prior to the round as well!

Usual routine would be to hit a few balls with a wedge, mid-iron, long iron and finish with a couple shots with a fairway wood as 99% of the time, this will be the club on the first tee

I would also spend a short amount of time on the putting green just to try and get a feel for the speed (although this doesn't always work out as the practice greens can be very different to the course greens)

I like to hit about 20-30 balls before a round. Usually just use driver, 7 iron and a wedge to warm up.

Yeah. 15 -20 balls is good for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I usually get the small bucket so I can hit a couple balls with all of them. But the main course I go to doesn't have range so no balls for me just putting green and maybe some chipping there for me.

I like to hit a full bucket, I'll start with the 54° then go to the 9, 7, 5, and 3.

When I do warm up it is usually 10-20 balls but most times I usually just stretch and then putt before a round. It is simply a warm up and not about working on your swing.

I putt for about 5 minutes. Then hit balls for about 20 minutes. Hit a wedge. Mid iron. Long iron. Then about 5 balls each on the woods

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I like to hit 30-40 balls before.my round. I like to get loose and also see where my flight is for the day.

If I don't hit the range I feel like I take the first couple holes to warm up

I will usually hit a small bucket if the course has a range, depending on time. Once I'm on the range I sweat it out, praying to god I don't hit any pre round hossel rockets haha. Sometimes I feel its better to just skip the range, that way if your swing is out of whack it won't go to your head.

I used to hit a large bucket before each round. Now, I hit just enough balls with my SW, 7i, 5i, hybrid, and Driver to see what general direction the ball is going to go. I now spend more time around the chipping and putting area than I used to.

I usually hit the range with just a small bucket, as I know I only have so many shots in my back! I hit mostly wedges & irons, with a couple driver & hybrids shots to get a feel for ball flight that particular day. What I like to do is play the shots that I will likely face that day - basically, play a couple 'holes" on the range. I will usually pick the par 3,4, & 5's that give me the most problems

None of the golf courses I frequent have a range, so I spend some time on the practice green, then it's off to the 1st tee.

I'm sure it's strictly a mental thing, but every time I've hit the range before a round I've played terribly.
I don't bother anymore, just the putting green for me.

When I hit the range before a round all I'm doing is trying to warm up. I'm not working on anything or trying to have any swing thoughts and I go through my pre-shot routine before each shot. Have to warm up the brain too.

I start with Driver. I know it's weird but it gets me loose because I swing more freely with that club than any other. I do a drill I got from Davis Love - start with a full swing but slow enough that you only hit the ball 150 yards (he starts at 100 but that's really hard to do). For me that about 1/4 - 1/3 speed. While swinging this slow I can feel my balance, footwork, etc. It's more of an awareness drill than anything else. Once I can get a good slow swing going, I ramp it up a bit to 200 and work my way up to a full swing. Most ranges have markers at 150, 200, 250 so it's pretty easy in that respect. Then I hit wedges and work down from 100 to about 40-50 yards. Next I'll hit a few mid-irons and finish it off with whatever shot I will be hitting from the first tee. This warmup usually takes 20 - 30 balls, but can be less if it feels really good that day.

I was at a tournament last summer and over hear this conversation.

Dad: Hey what time is it?
Son: 7:45. We tee off in 15 mintues.
Dad: Great. Run me over to the range. I have something I want to work on.
Son: With your golf game, working on something for 15 minutes is not going to help.
Me: HAHAHAHAHA

I think I will hit about 15-20 balls. I am not there to "work" on anything other than warming up my body. My golf swings on the range before a round are more about stretching and focusing on muscle memory.

If I'm just playing alone I typically don't hit the range or anything, however if I'm playing a tournament then yes I will hit the range, usually 5-6 balls per club starting for the SW and moving up from there, then to the putting green and sand bunker if the course has one.

Back