Ever Catch a Cheat?

I see guys cheating all the time, grounding clubs, foot wedges, mulligans, but as long as I keep my score honestly, I don't really care. I am trying to get better for me, not to impress anyone else. Now if it were in a tournament, then yes everyone should speak up for the good of the game at the very least. If it's not a serious match then I try to have as much fun as possible and not concern myself with what anyone else is doing.

I was playing with a really good friend one time and called him out on one. Of course, it was after he was offering to let me carry his bag up the 18th fairway since he was beating me on the round. I laughed it off, watched him put his approach shot short and in a creek running across the front of the green. When he tried to drop in front of the creek, I had a grand old time yanking his chain and ended up tying him on the day.

I was playing in a tournament last year with a guy in the flight below (worse) than me. We got to the ninth hole and I had about a 10' birdie putt. He said "just go ahead and pick it up. I will give you a birdie." It was like something out if a movie because just as he finished saying it I drained the putt. I said "Thanks but I am good." I didn't turn him in for anything, but he realized that I wasn't looking for any hand outs from him.

^^^^Just Tapped That

There are three guys from work I play with a few times a year. The one guy is absolutely brutal.
Doesn't count strokes and miraculously finds his ball out of nowhere sometimes.
The rest of us know it but we're not playing for anything so we bite our tongues.
He probably wouldn't come back if we called him out on it anyways.

I was playing in a tournament last year with a guy in the flight below (worse) than me. We got to the ninth hole and I had about a 10' birdie putt. He said "just go ahead and pick it up. I will give you a birdie." It was like something out if a movie because just as he finished saying it I drained the putt. I said "Thanks but I am good." I didn't turn him in for anything, but he realized that I wasn't looking for any hand outs from him.

^^^^Just Tapped That

I find that those guys are usually looking for one later in the round. It's rarely a good will gesture.

I really don't care if someone cheats unless we have something on the line. Your score, your game. If you have more fun cheating, then so be it. As long as it doesn't cheat me.

sent without the boss's knowledge...

I have a buddy that is inclined to play a different ball on the green. He also places his marker well in front his ball when marking then his ball well in front of his marker when getting ready to putt, thereby shortening his putt by a few inches.

Not sure if I caught him as much as was teammates with one. Playing in a 4 man scramble with the overseer of the church denomination I was affiliated with at the time. All hit balls. Best choice was on a side hill lie. Until he kicked it to the flat middle of fairway. I was new to the game and had never met him before so I was in no place to say anything. Very letdown from someone who should know better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caught an opponent in a MGA event, match play.

That was the last time I played there, subsequently cancelled my membership.

I have a buddy that is inclined to play a different ball on the green. He also places his marker well in front his ball when marking then his ball well in front of his marker when getting ready to putt, thereby shortening his putt by a few inches.

That's pretty bad.

I'm not sure if he's cheating, or if it's and honest mistake, but I have a guy I play with regularly that has trouble keeping track of all of his strokes!

Yes - not counting strokes and moving his ball out of traps. This was during one of my league playoff rounds, and he was VERY upset with me for calling these things on him!

A guy in an MGA I used to play in would always mark his ball then reset it an inch in front of his mark. It also struck me as incredibly stupid. I mean you can make a putt from 9'11" but not 10'? You really are going to cheat over an inch? Is your life that desperate that you need that extra inch? People really are screwed up in the head when they find ways to cheat at golf, its a game, nothing that happens to your score is going to have any bearing on your family or career.

I find that those guys are usually looking for one later in the round. It's rarely a good will gesture.

I really don't care if someone cheats unless we have something on the line. Your score, your game. If you have more fun cheating, then so be it. As long as it doesn't cheat me.

sent without the boss's knowledge...

I agree with this. I was not about to concede anything to him. Had it been match play, maybe. This was a tournament and we were in different flights. Had I taken that putt or given him a putt, we would have been cheating the entire field. #NotGonnaHappen

Yes. In a high school tournament. One guy in our group kept losing his ball and "discretely" dropping another one. But he was playing so poorly and was so obviously going to take last place that we decided it wasn't worth the effort to report it.

A friend I golf with cheats all the time, but he's not very good so I don't care as it keeps him moving along. He often jokes and compares his score to mine and I jokingly remind him that he cheated on every single hole, but that I wouldn't count all of that.

More often then I care to admit. Im a by the book count every penalty and stroke kinda player and I always ask before the round if they want me to keep their score or not, what to count etc. I dont think I could get better or be satisfied with a better score if I am constantly cheating even if I am by myself. Most guys I have played with tend to shoot a so and so and sure enough after the round they have a similar number tallied. Unbeknownst to them I like to count everyones strokes if at all possible just to see how big the difference is when done. Usually 4-5 strokes but I have counted 10+ strokes several times for someone. I actually appreciate when someone calls me out on a penalty that I didnt realize, etc. I want to be a better golfer all around and playing by the rules every time is the easiest way for me to achieve that.

Guys like you drive me crazy cause you tend to make mistakes. We have a guy we play with that does that and he's wrong every now and then and it leads to arguments. Played with him in a foursome one day and he was giving me a 5 on a par 4 and I pared the hole. Everyone in the group had 6's but me and the guy on my cart even said to him I was putting for birdie how did you give him a 5? The guy on his cart said I parred it too but his guy was so damn adamant about it that it turned into a huge argument about counting his own strokes and let others worry about themselves. See it's not so hard when everyone pars the hole but when your counting all the shots on the course for a foursome and everyone shoots a high number mistakes tend to get made.

I use to notice cheaters..but now..I go out and worry about my own game. If someone wants to cheat..than go ahead. I have heard of cheating even in pga tour events,,not now..but back in the 60's and 70's.. Those guys that were caught, were black balled immediately.

Absolutely! Once in high school, we busted a kid on our own team. This kid could not break 100 to save his life, yet he habitually carded rounds in the low 80's in tournaments. Someone from another school questioned his score and the kid on my team looked at us to back him up. We sided with the kid from the other school and the cheater was kicked off of our team. It makes absolutely no sense to blatantly fudge your score in such a meaningless environment (or ever, for that matter). I understand tweaking rules to make the game more enjoyable, but outright cheating is terrible.

This past Friday in a tournment. I didn't confront him on it as he wasn't in contention to win anything so it didn't really matter to me.

Absolutely! Once in high school, we busted a kid on our own team. This kid could not break 100 to save his life, yet he habitually carded rounds in the low 80's in tournaments. Someone from another school questioned his score and the kid on my team looked at us to back him up. We sided with the kid from the other school and the cheater was kicked off of our team. It makes absolutely no sense to blatantly fudge your score in such a meaningless environment (or ever, for that matter). I understand tweaking rules to make the game more enjoyable, but outright cheating is terrible.

golf of is probably the one game that people cheat at the most..IMOIMO

Yes, it almost came to a fight, too. It was during college, it was a team mate and we were trying to qualify for the next event. I wasn't playing with him, we were coming up their next hole. I could tell they were looking for a ball, didn't know it was his. I watched him look around, pull a ball out of his pocket and slide it down his leg, then yell back to his group that he found it. Needless to say I called him on it, he was pissed, swore I was lying and the other guys had no reason to believe I was.

I certainly have, and since it was never in competitive play, I didn't do anything about it. They have to live with themselves.

~Rock

A guy in an MGA I used to play in would always mark his ball then reset it an inch in front of his mark. It also struck me as incredibly stupid. I mean you can make a putt from 9'11" but not 10'? You really are going to cheat over an inch? Is your life that desperate that you need that extra inch? People really are screwed up in the head when they find ways to cheat at golf, its a game, nothing that happens to your score is going to have any bearing on your family or career.

Are you sure he wasn't marking the ball 1" behind the ball when putting the mark on the ground? I notice a lot of people will leave a 1/2" or so between the ball and marker so when they lift the marker up they won't knock the ball with the marker or their hand.

The only time I tell anyone their score is if they ask me to keep it for them and I always confer with them after each hole to verify count when its fresh. If I am keeping score otherwise then its for my eyes/benefit only and they never see it. Im sure I make a mistake every now and then but I dont make 5-10 mistakes a round. The only way it would lead to an argument is if you were nosy enough to look at the score you didn't want me to keep in the first place. The guys that annoy me are the ones who try to leave strokes out even though the rest of the group knows what they hit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Not sure why you would want to keep the score of someone who told you not to. Have a friend who does this and it's very annoying. We aren't playing for anything, just a casual round of golf, there is no need to be asking what I scored or being concerned with it at all if I already told you I would keep my score or you can see I am not even keeping score, etc.

Back