My camparison with two bridgestones, the e6 vs B330rx

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I had mentioned this briefly in a couple other threads for other reasons but thought I'd share my experimentation with these two balls fwiw to anyone and although not done yet I will continue to post as I obtain more or different experiences.

As a 16 capper and improving with consistency I wanted to know if the time had come for me to play a higher end ball. Basically with the general logic that the better greens control would come from the higher end ball. One would also be able to better move a higher end ball but I am not at that level so for me (like very many) its more about is the higher end ball worth it and does it benefit me.

I bought 2 dozen B330rx. I been playing the e6 exclusively for last few years with the exception of mixing in another ball or two for experimentation purposes as well. But my latest thing has been to play every other hole alternating the e6 and the B330rx. About me, a 16 capper and current ss is just at or under the 105 and averaging 102 to 106 for a 104avg. So I didn't go with the regular B330 and instead used the rx version.

It has been (I believe 4 rounds now). Actually 5 but the last one I hurt my back (pain, pain) and had to leave so I disregard that one. But played yesterday and with alternating both balls played my best round this season.

The e6 imo has been a game saver for the way this ball always had and still does help tame the left and right turns. To be honest I am doing this with the last version of the e6 and not the latest 2015 version. Since the 2011 and 2013 versions were pretty similar (actually I thought the 2011 was a tiny tad better at doing what it does but the 2013 was a tiny tad better on the greens) a plus here is usually a negative there but none the less very, very similar so I can only assume the 2015 version is about similar too as for keeping us straighter.

So 2103 e6 vs 2015 B330rx.
So far I have distances to be about equal. Of course the inconsistencies of a mid and higher capper make things difficult to compare and is why I do this over many rounds. Keep in mind I will continue this until I lose or scuff and run out of the remaining B330rx balls that I have or simply decide I don't want to play them anymore. With all my clubs from driver to wedge I find no significant change in distance on well hit balls. Irons are equal and for driver (just yesterday) while I hit my driver very well for the round . I had equally same amount of shots in the 250's and 260's and coincidentally one of each of them (my two best balls really hit on the screws and straight) landed at 270 and 271.

The biggest difference is with that e6 and its ability to help tame the over turns which can get me or any mid and higher capper in troubles. I am never much for exaggerated hype and even what I sometimes call BS but The ball (e6) does help tame those shots. There is no doubt about it imo and for me. Play this game for many years and even if not good you still obtain and get a good sense of where a ball will end up turning into based on how you feel you hit it and let me tell you this ball does offer some resistance to help keep you a little safer for those not so terrible shots. Enough of a difference for being in trouble vs being on the edge of it. Or one the edge of the FW vs being in the rough. Or being closer to or on the green vs being just off or in trouble. While my game (ball striking in general) has improved and don't need quite as much help with this which is part of the reason I wanted to do this experiment, I still need it and the B330rx doesn't really give that too me but its not really suppose to.

As for approach shots and around the greens. The B330rx does stay just a tad better but remember I cant generate stopping power and perhaps one who is better at that can better take advantage of that offering from the ball. Though my short game is also a bit improved from the past Iam just not overly benefiting from anything the B330rx has to offer at this point. But to be fair I've also at the time been paying a little more attention to the distances and the ball flights. The amount the e6 still helps me from the standpoint of helping with keeping me better in play is still currently at this point worth more to me and my game than the positives I may get from the B330rx. When I hit good approach shots my ball comes in fairy high anyway and when closer in to the green I just cant (like so many) stop balls on the dime anyway.

Its not that the B330rx is hurting me but just that so far I feel (for me game) the e6 is still more of a benefit. The distances are similar. And remember also when your a little straighter your not only better in positions but also a little longer just by default. Now that I feel I have a decent grasp on the distances and ball flights pros and cons, I will start paying more attention to just how much a difference I am seeing as for the greens. But its not easy because (again) of our inconsistencies so it takes a lot of play to get real answers. My next couple rounds or so I hope to be able to get a better grasp on how/if one has any benefit or not over the other for me and my game via approaches and greens play.

Another point I can make is about durability. Imo a big difference. The occasional tree, cart path, or even bad miss hit offers a huge difference with the two balls. The rx just scuffs so much more easily its significant imo. Several of my rx balls have hit the shag bag during this experiment. Am I good enough to gain anything from the higher end ball B330rx or not? Is the more expensive ball worth it for me and my game. I will try to still continue to experiment and see. And will post what I think when I feel I have anything new to add, change, or confirm.

Last edited:
Well explained Rollin. As one of the testers this year for the e6, I think you nailed the pluses and minuses of these balls

Last edited:
Awesome write up! Thank you. I've been wanting to try the 330rx just haven't wanted to pony up the cash. From the sounds of this I might just keep the $$$ in my pocket and play the Q-Stars I have been playing.

Great write up! I've used both balls and still use the e6 from time to time.

Awesome write up. I have used the e6 but did not notice much difference in ball flight, but I think around the greens is where the two will have the largest discrepancy. Please let us know how it goes.

Awesome write up. I have used the e6 but did not notice much difference in ball flight, but I think around the greens is where the two will have the largest discrepancy. Please let us know how it goes.

I think the biggest differences (or advantages I should say) in ball flight as for the help the e6 offers are going go be less noticeable to both of whom are either pretty straight to begin with or one who is very errant to begin with. The ball is not a magic want. But Its the inbetweener of those two players who is somewhat straight but who struggles to maintain it that imo will notice the most benefit in this area.

And as for greens. I been playing many years and mostly as single with average joe hackers of al levels and its not often at all (even when with better payers) I can honestly say I am not seeing much really good greenside spin and control anyway. When I do its a rarity and usually something I remember. Most of the golfing population in my experiences imo just doesn't have that kind of play in their bag. But none the less I will be continuing this experimentation with a bit more attention paid to that area of my game with both balls. But fwiw even though more rare, I have seen those who do generate good stopping power but the funny thing is I have seen both better and worse players do it with both high end balls and lower end balls too. I can only assume the ones doing it with lower end balls would do it even better with a higher end ball but the point is if the player is not doing much of this anyway (and imo most are not) than one has to decide if the ball is worth it at that point in his current game and ability.

Imo its the advantages of higher end balls (in a way like players irons) which help better players that can often be the same things which hurt and become disadvantages for lessor ability players. And imo the reverse is also true where the balls and equipment designed to help be an advantage to the lessor player can work to be a disadvantage for the better player. But anyway I think I am at a place where I'm at a good spot in my game for seeing if I will gain or lose or see no difference between using either ball. So far I still lean towards the e6 but not like its such an over whelming thing but the experiment continues on.

Last edited:
I'm a low cap... Former +hdcp

The e6 is a damn good ball.....as good as others.

I've played both of those balls...a lot. My swing speed is a touch slower than yours. I hit some bombs (for me) with the driver with that version of the e6. Haven't hit the new one yet. Always loved how soft it was.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately; it's possible I would do as well or better to stay with the e6, but the difference in green holding power between the two is not negligible. I can see it with my own eyes. Guess that's why I mostly play the RX, seem to get the pluses of the e6 while eliminating it's one weakness. But that isn't the same for everyone and there are price/value considerations also.

The way you describe your game I wouldn't think the RX is hurting your game either. Now a higher compression toury ball for us is a different story. Anyway though, that e6 is a heck of a ball off the driver, think I'm about to pick up a couple dozen of the new e6. Worst case, I've stocked up on my favorite cold weather ball.

I'm a low cap... Former +hdcp

The e6 is a damn good ball.....as good as others.

and is why I been using it for quite some time. And that's Good to hear from such a good player too. But this is not only about the e6 as there is threads for that. For me its about comparing the two side by side through several or many rounds. Basically 2 different balls with 2 different characteristics and purposes. Its been quite interesting for me so far.

I've played both of those balls...a lot. My swing speed is a touch slower than yours. I hit some bombs (for me) with the driver with that version of the e6. Haven't hit the new one yet. Always loved how soft it was.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately; it's possible I would do as well or better to stay with the e6, but the difference in green holding power between the two is not negligible. I can see it with my own eyes. Guess that's why I mostly play the RX, seem to get the pluses of the e6 while eliminating it's one weakness. But that isn't the same for everyone and there are price/value considerations also.

The way you describe your game I wouldn't think the RX is hurting your game either. Now a higher compression toury ball for us is a different story. Anyway though, that e6 is a heck of a ball off the driver, think I'm about to pick up a couple dozen of the new e6. Worst case, I've stocked up on my favorite cold weather ball.

well, as said I will start paying some more better attention to what it means for me on approaches and greens play over next rounds. Being a bit lower HC than me your probably that much more consistent and possibly why your not really benefiting quite as much from the e6 as for helping you keep a bit better in play. But you see that is partly why I am doing this experiment. Being at the point where my consistency has somewhat improved but not there yet and its in a way like good timing for me to see if the e6 advantages are still more helpful to me than the rx advantages. So far they still are, but again as I pay more attention to the greens play (which will take some time) will I then hopefully be able to gain some more telling results from my experimentation with the 2 balls.

As you mention we are all a bit different even if around the same cap areas. Some are better greens ball spinners than others and also our faults can lie in totally different areas of our games. Two 16 cappers may benefit from the opposite balls all dependent on their won strengths and weaknesses. I don't feel the rx is hurting me but just that so far the e6 is still helping me a little more. But again, to be fair still have to now pay more specific attention to greens play before I decide any further. Its a little hard to do though because the closer we get to the hole, the more serious we tend to think about our shots and all so the importance of making the shots at that moment sort of over shadows or takes away from the experiment a little. But I will keep trying to put more focus on it as I continue.

Thanks for the write up. I definitely prefer the B330-RX by a wide margin, but this is why people should consider a ball fitting.

I have a stash of 2014 e6's and have been pretty much playing them. Last week, I was in NM and my bag was low on balls and I needed to get some. The pro shop at where I was going to play was selling them for $10/sleeve which is steep for these balls so I ducked into a local Walmart the night before and picked some balls. Best/most interesting I could find were the Callaway Supersoft at $20/dozen. I have played and loved the Chromesoft but I have been working off my stash of e6's. The claims for the Supersoft are similar to the e6 (longer/straighter).

I have to say the Supersoft compares quite favorably to the e6 and I also like the fact that the cover has a softer feel than the e6. If there is one knock I have on the e6 is that the cover seems hard/clicky. Not that I can knock the performance but I prefer a slightly softer feeling cover.

I'm still going to use my e6's (and I have a bunch as I bought them late last year logo'd) but when that supply gets low, I'm going to have a decision to make. I thought I would go Chromesoft then but the price point of the Supersoft is incredible.

Thanks for the write up. I definitely prefer the B330-RX by a wide margin, but this is why people should consider a ball fitting.

Thanks, and I would probably expect that opinion from a more consistent player down below 10 such as yourself. For me I'm not there yet (if ever) but is why I think I currently fit the bill to compare these 2 in my game.

and so another round today. My round was on the worse side of my average play today where I couldnt get anything going on the front 9. Idid have an average back though however I was not able to get any good feel for my short game today at all so it wasn't a good round for me to really compare the two via approaches and greenside play. This is why I believe its a process of several rounds that must be played.

But fwiw I did have (although not in regulation) a few greens hit with medium irons like the (6,7,8) on a few occasions and both balls for that small amount of good (approach like shots) they both held very similarly for me. In fact 2 - 7irons from about 165 with each ball both landed and stayed about 4 to 5 feet from their pitch marks on (what were softer) greens today. And again i dont generate any great backspin so the softer greens probably played a roll for both balls acting similarly on the two similar shots. As for short pitches/chips greenside? Again only a few (as my game was bad and lacked any feel today) so nothing to add there from todays round in the very short area. The only few decent ones I did do ok with seemed similar to me today. But it wasn't much to go by.

When my long game started to work on the back 9 I will say the same as my first post. My few great drives I did hit were both very similar in distance. Although I didn't play well today I still managed 2 great drives about 270 on the back 9 which further confirms distance is very similar with either ball.

My over all play was also a bit too erratic at times today to further gain any more ball flight info from either ball. But I already have that part down anyway as indicated in my first post.

And BTW - for putting, ther than a slightly different sound to me it makes no difference which one I putt with. If I'm on its good with either and if off its bad with either.

Until next round :) I shall add more.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts so far Rollin. I've played both as well and both are good balls you really can't go wrong either way.

For me I like the rx a little better and prefers the rxs over the other two.

You are correct there are players who can spin a cheap ball as well as a tour ball, it's all technique to spin em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a stash of 2014 e6's and have been pretty much playing them. Last week, I was in NM and my bag was low on balls and I needed to get some. The pro shop at where I was going to play was selling them for $10/sleeve which is steep for these balls so I ducked into a local Walmart the night before and picked some balls. Best/most interesting I could find were the Callaway Supersoft at $20/dozen. I have played and loved the Chromesoft but I have been working off my stash of e6's. The claims for the Supersoft are similar to the e6 (longer/straighter).

I have to say the Supersoft compares quite favorably to the e6 and I also like the fact that the cover has a softer feel than the e6. If there is one knock I have on the e6 is that the cover seems hard/clicky. Not that I can knock the performance but I prefer a slightly softer feeling cover.

I'm still going to use my e6's (and I have a bunch as I bought them late last year logo'd) but when that supply gets low, I'm going to have a decision to make. I thought I would go Chromesoft then but the price point of the Supersoft is incredible.

Kind of strange because the e6 is one of the more smushier balls on the market. However with that said I do understand a soft cover and soft interior(compression) are two totally different things. In fact softer cover vs softer ball seems to be an area that may people often confuse. But anyway, I find the e6 (due to its soft core) to be much less clicky sounding vs many other balls. But to be fair and FYI I have never played the supersoft.

fwiw to anyone, at the end of this experimenting if I should find the rx to be something I want to start using on a regular basis I may opt to play it against the e5. That imo is suppose to be a way (I believe) to get a spinnier ball without the cost of the higher end rx, or B-series in general.
I did experiment (not as drastically) with the e5 a couple years back and in the end I ended up still choosing the e6 for my game. I just found the e5 far too spinny to hold straight enough lines for me at that time. But if after this if I eventually decide the rx (or a spinnier ball) is worth it for me I may consider another go with that e5. But not to get ahead of myself as my current rx/e6 challenge has more to go.

And don't get me wrong here people with any of this. My primary objective when I play is to play as well as I can and also try to keep improving, and is not to just play with the purpose of trying balls. Its just that while I am playing, I figure why not do some good ball experimenting while I'm at it.

Last edited:
I have played both the e6 and rx-330 this season. I prefer the e6, my tee shots were straighter. My drive shots are usually fades and i felt like the e6 turned them into baby fades. I still prefer the titleist nxt tour s out of all the balls ive played with so far.

I have been playing the b330 and the chrome soft this year and played pretty good with both. But I found an E6 and played a couple rounds with it, and I played some of my best golf of the year. I was fit for the b330 a few years ago and have played it since then, but I think I might buy some E6 and see how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have played both the e6 and rx-330 this season. I prefer the e6, my tee shots were straighter. My drive shots are usually fades and i felt like the e6 turned them into baby fades. I still prefer the titleist nxt tour s out of all the balls ive played with so far.

yea, the ball imo too does work to do what you describe.
I have played nxt (never an s) but any time I've played them I just don't find anything I really like. Not that they hurt me much but just that nothing special and for whatever reason I don't like the feel and sound. No biggie, but just me for the times I've used them.

, but this is why people should consider a ball fitting.

I was fit for the b330 a few years ago and have played it since then, but I think I might buy some E6 and see how it goes

I tried to get to a ball fitting twice this season and unfortunately the places and times just didn't work for me. I would still like to try to get to one if possible. But even as good as that may be, there is still imo no replacement for using a given ball through several/many rounds in order to see, feel, and tell how it really works for you. Imo in the end that's what its all about anyway.

Tried to get a ball fitting, but they didn't have the lefty station.

Was nice to talk to the fitter and I am going to stick with the e6 myself. I feel that it limits "damage" on mishits so thats the reason I will continue to use the ball.

Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I don't see the spin limiting characteristics of the E6 when I try it. The last time I played it head to head with a B330rx I hooked my E6 tee shot and my E6 approach shot (into the woods and lost). The B330rx landed just left of the fairway and just left of the green. I'm not saying that the E6 caused extra spin, but it wasn't enough on those two shots to save me from trouble.

On the short game, I've never been able to get the E6 to do what I want around the green. I don't have enough game to make a urethane ball do everything I desire, but I have 10x better luck with them around the green. There have been plenty of times when I hit a B330 series ball with a chip/pitch around the green a little too hard, but the ball checks up enough to save me from a catastrophe. These same mis-hits would typically send an E6 to the opposite side or off the back of the green.

I also swing around 105+ with my driver, 90-95 with my irons, and am a high spin player. I can't tell much difference between any of the B330 series balls. They all perform great though.

Great post! I will be interested to see your take around the greens. For me, 60ish yards and in is where I notice the big difference... especially since I have been trying to add a little more spin to my game ( mostly unsuccessfully ) keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I don't see the spin limiting characteristics of the E6 when I try it. The last time I played it head to head with a B330rx I hooked my E6 tee shot and my E6 approach shot (into the woods and lost). The B330rx landed just left of the fairway and just left of the green. I'm not saying that the E6 caused extra spin, but it wasn't enough on those two shots to save me from trouble.

On the short game, I've never been able to get the E6 to do what I want around the green. I don't have enough game to make a urethane ball do everything I desire, but I have 10x better luck with them around the green. There have been plenty of times when I hit a B330 series ball with a chip/pitch around the green a little too hard, but the ball checks up enough to save me from a catastrophe. These same mis-hits would typically send an E6 to the opposite side or off the back of the green.

I also swing around 105+ with my driver, 90-95 with my irons, and am a high spin player. I can't tell much difference between any of the B330 series balls. They all perform great though.

Well, no ball is going to fix bad shots. Its taming the lessor misses where in my experiences (as well as some others) it helps. Imo even at higher caps there are those (although rare) who can spin balls (I have seen it enough times). My last round was played with one who was quite erratic and not a low scorer but when hit well his ball would spin nicely (best in the foursome) and if he hit a green he checked up really well and from close in (again, so long as he made the chip/pitch) he had lots of backspin. I believe one can hit a ball crisp and at the right place in the arc to generate good spin and yet still be inconsistent enough left and right and with bad misses to be a mid/higher capper. Perhaps you are similar to that and when your off your too far off for the e6 to help. But when your on, you generate good spin and like the spinnier "B-series" ball for its reasons.

However, with all that said (and is it all only been a guess) but whats not a guess is that 2 shots with each ball is in no way anything imo to be drawing any conclusion on. We are imo just much too inconsistent to base results on a tee shot and an approach shot with each ball. You may in the end be correct and the e6 may not be at all for you but to base the idea that it doesn't help keep one a little straighter off just one tee shot and one approach shot? imo just doesn't cut it. That's just much too little. You very well may have been that much further off in your swing for those two shots than you were with the other two. This is why I been doing this over several rounds.

Last edited:
Great post! I will be interested to see your take around the greens. For me, 60ish yards and in is where I notice the big difference... especially since I have been trying to add a little more spin to my game ( mostly unsuccessfully ) keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks and its not going to be so easy to anylize. There is a lot to factor in. For approaches and also for shorty stuff a lot can depend on where I come in from and the lies and the green slopes etc...this would need many similar scenario shots to happen with each ball and not to mention how many greens I hit too and how I am playing that day. But ya never know, may be a iget lucky and have enough similar scenarios with each ball in a given round to get some results :)
Actually 2 rounds ago (my best this season) I hit a lot of greens and chipped well. Probably enough o get decent comparison but was paying more attention to the longer and mid ball flights than I was greens reactions.

Its kind of funny (or in a way sad) but in the end I may find I'm not good enough to determine the B-series is any more better for me as for greens to make it worth it. But if that happens than so be it , but at least I'll know.

Last edited:
Back