2015 Open Championship Contest & Thread

This was my post in the the Tiger's Next Major thread from last summer.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?60351-Tiger-Woods-Next-Major-Win

I pick the 2015 Open Championship at St. Andrews. Its a course he has won 2 majors on and was in OK position after 36, holes the last time it was there.

If he were to win one this year I'd pick the PGA, but I'm not betting on him winning one this year anymore.

So with that, I may have to put my money where my mouth is and pick him. I mean I've been saying this was the week for over a year now.

This was my post in the the Tiger's Next Major thread from last summer.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?60351-Tiger-Woods-Next-Major-Win

So with that, I may have to put my money where my mouth is and pick him. I mean I've been saying this was the week for over a year now.

Figured Mward. Oh wait, your ddec.
We talked a lot about this in Cali on the last trip. I think there is some thought there, and I think he shows up to play. Because frankly if not here, good lord.

Figured Mward. Oh wait, your ddec.
We talked a lot about this in Cali on the last trip. I think there is some thought there, and I think he shows up to play. Because frankly if not here, good lord.

If I pick him, it's because I've been looking at this week for that long of a time. But honestly I do not expect him to win this week. Although man what a story for golf it would be. Tiger returns to major championship glory at the home of golf.

3 stories that would be huge this week if it were to happen.
A)Spieth wins 3rd straight, grand slam still a possibility.
B)Tiger wins 15th major.
C)Tom Watson delay's Open Championship Farewell thanks to taking home the Claret Jug.

Another great contest from THP and Callaway. Picks are in. I gambled a little bit with my picks, and I am ready to watch some links golf!!

If I pick him, it's because I've been looking at this week for that long of a time. But honestly I do not expect him to win this week. Although man what a story for golf it would be. Tiger returns to major championship glory at the home of golf.

3 stories that would be huge this week if it were to happen.
A)Spieth wins 3rd straight, grand slam still a possibility.
B)Tiger wins 15th major.
C)Tom Watson delay's Open Championship Farewell thanks to taking home the Claret Jug.

I think there are a couple of more.
D) Rickie wins and moves up to the elite status of golfer.
E) Phil wins again and says "Not so fast" to the "done" talk

Tiger winning is the biggest story. Even bigger than if he were to miss the cut, which I dont expect to happen. The stars kind of aligned here for him with Rory out with an injury, because I believe Rory would have blitzed the field here with his driving.

Awesome contest!

I think there are a couple of more.
D) Rickie wins and moves up to the elite status of golfer.
E) Phil wins again and says "Not so fast" to the "done" talk

Tiger winning is the biggest story. Even bigger than if he were to miss the cut, which I dont expect to happen. The stars kind of aligned here for him with Rory out with an injury, because I believe Rory would have blitzed the field here with his driving.

IMO the Phil story is the one that would cause the least buzz. I say that only because he's already won an Open, which nobody thought he would. Also because, at least from my view, the rest of his career is about 1 tournament only.

The Fowler story would be a good one too. I'd like to see that.

Is it Thursday yet? I'm ready to see the Old Course in action.

IMO the Phil story is the one that would cause the least buzz. I say that only because he's already won an Open, which nobody thought he would. Also because, at least from my view, the rest of his career is about 1 tournament only.

The Fowler story would be a good one too. I'd like to see that.

Is it Thursday yet? I'm ready to see the Old Course in action.

I think you are on to something for the die hard golfers. For the casual fan, Phil still definitely moves the needle. The problem is, the needle has a pretty big time difference here and barring something impressive happening, the needle will stay rather flat I have a feeling.

I think you are on to something for the die hard golfers. For the casual fan, Phil still definitely moves the needle. The problem is, the needle has a pretty big time difference here and barring something impressive happening, the needle will stay rather flat I have a feeling.

Agree wholeheartedly. I'm not saying he doesn't move the needle anymore.

Picks are in. Thanks for the awesome contest!

I find Periscope to be the lazy man's effort for the reporter. Now not for the golfer mind you, but for the actual scribe, using Periscope is such a lazy way out. I know I am in the minority here.

I find Periscope to be the lazy man's effort for the reporter. Now not for the golfer mind you, but for the actual scribe, using Periscope is such a lazy way out. I know I am in the minority here.

I agree. If you are a writer then you main medium to deliver information should be print/articles. Sure use social media, but when it becomes your primary way of doing your job, then your not a reporter, just another person with access using social media.

I'm sure it's harder than it looks, but with some knowledgable people we have here, give us access and social media and we could deliver better content IMO.

Would make covering some company events so easy. Here everyone watch the Nike Light Show, or see Dr. Cox hit ground ball after ground ball with the new AeroBurner haha

We live in a day and age where virtually every news outlet basically shows Twitter posts as their news on every broadcast.

I hope he wins, but I'm taking two other than JS. Good luck to you all!

Would make covering some company events so easy. Here everyone watch the Nike Light Show, or see Dr. Cox hit ground ball after ground ball with the new AeroBurner haha

Hahah. I was thinking more along the lines of SLDR-S launch. Maybe we can send you to the huge SLDR-C launch that must be coming up.

We live in a day and age where virtually every news outlet basically shows Twitter posts as their news on every broadcast.

And I dont mind the reference, but at least be creative. It drives me nuts to see people look at "media" and their story is nothing more than rehash twitter comments by a tour pro.

I agree. If you are a writer then you main medium to deliver information should be print/articles. Sure use social media, but when it becomes your primary way of doing your job, then your not a reporter, just another person with access using social media.

I'm sure it's harder than it looks, but with some knowledgable people we have here, give us access and social media and we could deliver better content IMO.

How is more access to the players and the golf course a bad thing?

How is more access to the players and the golf course a bad thing?

I didn't say it was a bad thing. JB originally alluded to a writer/reporter using it as the main medium to do his/her job.

My point is use the tools available, but don't get lazy and throw up a few periscopes and think you are doing something creative or offering a perspective others can't.

I dont recall saying it was a bad thing.

I didn't say it was a bad thing. JB originally alluded to a writer/reporter using it as the main medium to do his/her job.

My point is use the tools available, but don't get lazy and throw up a few periscopes and think you are doing something creative or offering a perspective others can't.

Sorry, just sounded like both of you were complaining about it. I think that most reporters are doing stuff on social media in addition to their main gigs, which adds time to their job. IMO, to be a reporter that only writes columns/stories anymore is getting rarer by the day.

Sorry, just sounded like both of you were complaining about it. I think that most reporters are doing stuff on social media in addition to their main gigs, which adds time to their job. IMO, to be a reporter that only writes columns/stories anymore is getting rarer by the day.

I'm all for using the tools available to get the story/point across, but while the reporter who writes column/stories only is rare, that is still their primary way to deliver information they were tasked to do. Whether a blog, internet site, etc., and I see some getting lazy and not taking their time to creatively write about the experience.

I didnt say anything of the sort nor do I think a reporter should only write columns/stories.
However the term "media" and "reporter" gets thrown around far too often and frankly a person that spends their time on Periscope, or reporting tweets that others send, is lazy.

Phil being Phil, chipping off of the road at the 17th hole in his practice round today:

CJ4cnGhWsAA09K3.png

Back