Proper thumb position, bottom hand

Nebgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
#GolfIsFun
Freddie, I've got a question on where my right thumb should be on the grip. Historically, I've tried to have my thumbs in a line with my right thumb running along the shaft as shown here:

bc35c61b9c0ff85e998550f26ee30473.jpg

But recently I got a training aid with a molded grip which forced my thumb into this position:

d8dcdc5f019d38ec3360096b2e495d45.jpg

My question: is one better than the other, and what would each different grip cause to happen in my swing?

A standard grip will show two, maybe one knuckle on the left hand. If that is your grip then the bottom pic is the right way to go. The top grip is a bit weak and it great for a person with some good speed through the ball.

The thumb and index finger of the right hand will act as your trigger fingers as the thumb from the left hand sits in the palm of the right. Does that make sense?

That makes a lot of sense, Freddie. Thanks for clarifying for me.

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but this interests me. I've seen, or been told, both ways. My instructor wants me to see 2 knuckles on the left hand, and keep my right thumb in line with the left thumb. I've also heard that I should see 2 knuckles on the left hand, and let the right thumb go over to the left. This is for right handed golfer.

I follow what my instructor says, since he is the one working on my swing. But this definitely interests me.

~Rock

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but this interests me. I've seen, or been told, both ways. My instructor wants me to see 2 knuckles on the left hand, and keep my right thumb in line with the left thumb. I've also heard that I should see 2 knuckles on the left hand, and let the right thumb go over to the left. This is for right handed golfer.

I follow what my instructor says, since he is the one working on my swing. But this definitely interests me.

~Rock
Follow the logic of your instructor means your right thumb sits along the right side of the grip?

Follow the logic of your instructor means your right thumb sits along the right side of the grip?

Yes, and it has always felt weird.

~Rock

Yes, and it has always felt weird.

~Rock
Are you sure? The knuckle of the left thumb should fit in the palm of the right hand. And the right thumb should cross over the top of the grip. Not rest on the side. I would ask again.

Are really laid off at the top? Is your miss a weak right shot?

Are you sure? The knuckle of the left thumb should fit in the palm of the right hand. And the right thumb should cross over the top of the grip. Not rest on the side. I would ask again.

Are really laid off at the top? Is your miss a weak right shot?

I couldn't tell you if I'm laid off at the top. I don't worry about such things because I basically completely empty my head before swinging. My only swing thought is 'relax and swing free.' My miss is not a weak right shot. I have those misses, but it's not typical. My miss is actually a pull hook, and I believe that miss to be caused by hanging back on my right (back) side. I used to let my right thumb just casually touch my right index finger. I wonder if it was just something my instructor was having me do to perhaps correct something else I was doing a year ago. I'll ask him at my next lesson.

~Rock

Yeah, the pull hook was my other thought with this grip. Not from hanging back but from those hips stopping their rotation through the shot.

I will not second guess your pro. I will say that I am fan of the thumb crossing over the grip and not on the side.
I couldn't tell you if I'm laid off at the top. I don't worry about such things because I basically completely empty my head before swinging. My only swing thought is 'relax and swing free.' My miss is not a weak right shot. I have those misses, but it's not typical. My miss is actually a pull hook, and I believe that miss to be caused by hanging back on my right (back) side. I used to let my right thumb just casually touch my right index finger. I wonder if it was just something my instructor was having me do to perhaps correct something else I was doing a year ago. I'll ask him at my next lesson.

~Rock

A standard grip will show two, maybe one knuckle on the left hand. If that is your grip then the bottom pic is the right way to go. The top grip is a bit weak and it great for a person with some good speed through the ball.

The thumb and index finger of the right hand will act as your trigger fingers as the thumb from the left hand sits in the palm of the right. Does that make sense?

Freddie... I want to hug you right now, buddy. I switched to the bottom grip tonight (didn't feel as weird as I was expecting), and had the best ball striking day I've had in years. I felt so much more in control of the club throughout the swing, and the results were simply phenomenal. Thanks for setting me straight, friend.

Freddie... I want to hug you right now, buddy. I switched to the bottom grip tonight (didn't feel as weird as I was expecting), and had the best ball striking day I've had in years. I felt so much more in control of the club throughout the swing, and the results were simply phenomenal. Thanks for setting me straight, friend.
Sounds like an MVP performance awaits. Glad I could help sir.

No expert here ..... never had a lesson myself. But, in watching my daughters receive lessons, here are the rules of thumbs, Mark Lemon -great teaching pro in Cedar Rapids, IA: the golf shaft is the river - the right thumb is on the left side of the river and the left thumb is on the right side of the river. This will create a Vs - between thumb and pointers on both hands .... that align. Everything begins with the proper grip!

I've been fighting my grip lately. My right hand used to look more like the top pic. Moving it to more of the bottom pic has helped my ball flight a lot. Much higher launch. Sometimes that right hand starts to slip down again and I start having trouble.

You were striking it so well in KC a few days ago that to think you are striking it even better now bodes well for Team Redemption Mr MVP!

You were striking it so well in KC a few days ago that to think you are striking it even better now bodes well for Team Redemption Mr MVP!
My thoughts exactly Dan. Imagine if he "improved" his ball striking to go with that Rhythm. Bad news for his #zoocrew opponent I'm glad to say.

My thoughts exactly Dan. Imagine if he "improved" his ball striking to go with that Rhythm. Bad news for his #zoocrew opponent I'm glad to say.
You two are too kind. I'm just trying to make sure my game is up to the challenge in December.

If I can get all member of #teamredemption swinging well, I'll be a happy man!

Back