Adams 2014 Pro Hybrid Review Thread

I have civil discussions and debates here with hundreds/thousands of members, but it seems every time we disagree it becomes something more than a debate. Regardless though - you called it draw biased, which has a certain connotation with it. I happen to think it's a poor way to label the club after playing it, testing it, and researching it. Sorry if you don't like it, but I'm going to say something if I don't agree.

The only reason I said pull hook was that you said you were out to in fwiw. To be out to in and hitting a pushed hook just doesn't make sense to me, but there are others that know more about that than I do I suppose.

I get that it's not working for you and really don't care if you like it or not. I don't really like it very much either and have said as much. Lots and lots and lots of clubs don't work for me. Hell, my miss is left with this one too - similar to most clubs. I'm not ready to proclaim it draw biased though, because again - that implies certain things to people reading. The face angle thing is certainly interesting though. Are they saying some of the clubs are coming out closed and need to be bent open in some way?

actually, I said I was in to out. that's my normal swing path with all clubs. not that I've never had an OTT miss, but it's not normal for me.

what's funny is that in my mind, you weren't one of the rude ones. It's nice to know that you don't care if I like this club though.

My apologies on that. Obviously misread it and posted accordingly.

Don't take the 'don't care if you don't like it' personally. Jeez dude. My point was that I'm not emotionally invested in whether you like it or not. Not that I discount your opinion on a club.

A lower torque rating should quiet the tip section and make the shaft feel more boardy, that's my understanding at least. Have you considered that maybe the shaft in your pro is too stiff for you? I am just amazed that this club is a hook machine on it's own. There has to be another outside factor making it hook so predominately.

I think the outside factor might just be inconsistency in the heads. I have tried regular, stiff, and XS though. All of them produced a flight that was too far left to be useful. I was playing Stiff in my gamer, which if anything was probably a bit too soft. I was fit into XS for woods and hybrids and S for irons. It could definitely be that there is something else about the flex profile that doesn't fit me, though. That's all I was trying to share with the thread. This club does not fit me. It fits some other people well, and that's great. for me it's not the right club. I think people who come here looking for information need to know about the bad along with the good so they can make as informed a decision as possible.

I think the outside factor might just be inconsistency in the heads. I have tried regular, stiff, and XS though. All of them produced a flight that was too far left to be useful. I was playing Stiff in my gamer, which if anything was probably a bit too soft. I was fit into XS for woods and hybrids and S for irons. It could definitely be that there is something else about the flex profile that doesn't fit me, though. That's all I was trying to share with the thread. This club does not fit me. It fits some other people well, and that's great. for me it's not the right club. I think people who come here looking for information need to know about the bad along with the good so they can make as informed a decision as possible.

Information is information brother. No harm in sharing. I don't own this club, I don't care if you like it or not. I am known for liking clubs that many don't. Is what it is. I just find the "hook machine" moniker to be interesting since I haven't read much of that opinion from others. That doesn't mean the club is perfect, but just that it wasn't a hook machine for many of the forum members who use it.

When i tried the tour red in these it did not have the same feel as the other ATX shafts i found that for my hybrids i like a low torque shaft so i put a Tour Xstiff in mine it has a lower torque than the normal X but same bend profile

Which mashie? The original? I know that club had a big reputation for the lefts. I am even more intrigued that the Mashie doesn't hook, but the Pro does.

I honestly don't know. it's one that another THPer had in his bag and handed me to try when he saw me struggle with the Adams. Even with the wrong grip size it was a better flight. I hit it about 4 more times during that round and liked it a lot. Obviously I havne't bought one (yet) but they're cheap and easy to find... we'll see what the fitter says this afternoon but I will be sure we at least try whatever version of mashie he has available. I will be playing *some* sort of new hybrid soon :)

I honestly don't know. it's one that another THPer had in his bag and handed me to try when he saw me struggle with the Adams. Even with the wrong grip size it was a better flight. I hit it about 4 more times during that round and liked it a lot. Obviously I havne't bought one (yet) but they're cheap and easy to find... we'll see what the fitter says this afternoon but I will be sure we at least try whatever version of mashie he has available. I will be playing *some* sort of new hybrid soon :)

Don't flip out. Please. Does your fitter have a Flightscope or a Trackman? I would be interested in what your face angle and swing path angle are into the ball.

Don't flip out. Please. Does your fitter have a Flightscope or a Trackman? I would be interested in what your face angle and swing path angle are into the ball.

it's a trackman. I didn't record the stats to be precise with this, but IIRC with my 6i the average was about 5* in to out with the face being about 2* closed to the path (3* open to target). that seems right... but I'll try to get some actual specifics today. I know for sure that I was seeing the same flight pattern on the monitor that I see on the course. I start right of target and draw back to it. A bit moreso with the fitted shafts, but he said I would quickly adjust. They arrive tomorrow, so we'll see.

so I was a little bit off. those numbers are pretty close to accurate for my 6iron but they get a bit more exaggerated with longer clubs. so with a 3h it's more like 9.5* in-to-out and 4* closed to path. the fitter determined that the shaft was probably causing the result I was seeing. unfortunately he couldn't get the screw-in adapter on his tester 20* adams to work, so we couldn't test that one out with different shafts. the tour red didn't work very well for me but the green did, in other heads. That makes me think the pro 20* might work okay with the tour green, which is what I will try first. If it still doesn't work I will put that shaft in the SLDR hybrid head, which is the fitter's recommendation. He also liked the SLDR 3W for me as well, so having them match wouldn't be a terrible thing :)

Im not trying to stir the pot, but did I read this right that your fitter is claiming the Tour Red shaft is causing a 9.5* inside to out path and the face to be closed 4* to path? Are we talking the stock Tour Red stiff shaft?

Im not trying to stir the pot, but did I read this right that your fitter is claiming the Tour Red shaft is causing a 9.5* inside to out path and the face to be closed 4* to path? Are we talking the stock Tour Red stiff shaft?

I think he means the hook he is seeing with his Adams hybrid.

Sounds Funny dosen't it

I can see why that club isn't agreeing with you baldguy

Yes the stock tour red stiff. Those were the numbers. The shaft was a part of what generated them and it produced numbers like that with multiple heads. The green was much better as far as keeping the closed to path number down.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I was not a fan of that shaft as well. Went to the D+ shaft and that made all the difference in the world.

I was not a fan of that shaft as well. Went to the D+ shaft and that made all the difference in the world.

That is one we tried as well and it also worked great for me. It was really a toss up between that and the tour green. I liked the aesthetics of the aldila more. Though none of them will match the woods at all so I guess it really doesn't matter how they look. Performance is king!

I am amazed that a shaft produced that swing path. You must have had a 110 mph swing speed with the hybrid.

Only about 95. I don't understand how the two are related but those are the numbers I saw on the screen.

The hybrid doesn't work for you, right?! Don't play it. Not sure why there is such a debate or amazement at what is being said.

I don't get it either. Some people just didn't believe me I guess. I tried to provide more info so folks could know more about why it wasn't working. Hopefully someone found it useful.

Its conversation. People like to know more, people like to ask questions, its what forums are about, conversation.

Like freddie said if it doesnt work dont force it. Plenty of other great hybrids in the market. Im sure you can easily find someone interested in the adams hybo :)

I took the 20* out of my bag because I didn't think it fit my gaps (replaced with a 17*), but decided to put it in the bag and do a head to head comparison tonight. I struggled with a slice with it, but when I did connect with it, it went further than a well struck 17*, making me think it has a lot of potential if I can tame this beast. Not blaming the hybrid, but the swing I put on it seems to be causing the rights more than what I'm used to seeing from my other hybrids. The good shots I hit with it tonight have earned it more time in the bag to see if I can figure it out.

You said a page back that the SLDR worked so maybe you should sell the Adams and get an SLDR if it works better with your swing if you still don't like it after you changed shafts you might have wasted time and money

the shaft is going in whichever head I end up with. it won't take any money (a couple bucks for a ferrule and some epoxy, sure) to try it out in the adams head first. I will probably end up with the SLDR head but IMO it's worth at least a shot... I suspect the tour red is what I really don't like about this club. The only way to find out if that's true is to try. it might be a waste of time but really I think it's worth it. I never have a bad time trying stuff out ;)

Back