Last time an OEM won all 4 majors?

Wicked Cool Bearded Man

4thegolf+4thefriends
Reaction score
Handicap
6.3 GHIN
After seeing ZJ win today, it got me thinking.

1. Titleist is having a great year on the course.
2. They have a chance to win all 4 majors.
3. Has that ever happened before?
4. Do you think it's a big deal, why or why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a big deal. but now I am thinking.

After seeing ZJ win today, it got me thinking.

1. Titleist is having a great year on the course.
2. They have a chance to win all 4 majors.
3. Has that ever happened before?
4. Do you think it's a big deal, why or why not?

I think these guys could tie knots with just about any top tier OEM.... however, it certainly is a testament to the quality of Titleist overall.

I think these guys could tie knots with just about any top tier OEM.... however, it certainly is a testament to the quality of Titleist overall.

Agreed- it's less about what OEM does it. The reason it stuck out to me is I couldn't remember if it had happened in recent history. It hadn't in my mind - hence it stuck out. I could be wrong though.

They have some solid gear, but so do all of the other major OEM's..(well except TM), but I think it's a coincidence of the player more so than the gear winning... But they are playing the best ball for everyone

They have some solid gear, but so do all of the other major OEM's..(well except TM), but I think it's a coincidence of the player more so than the gear winning... But they are playing the best ball for everyone

I guess I should have clarified- it's less about Titleist - more about the 4 majors and any significance

Interesting question, would be curious to know

Going back through the list, I can't notice a year within the past 20 years.

Going back through the list, I can't notice a year within the past 20 years.

That was the same place I stopped.

I'm sure in years past it was more likely. But in today's game the equipment quality is pretty much across the board for those boys. I think it's interesting, but perhaps it has more to do with the stable Titleist has built? Dunno but we've had a fantastic major series so far this year.

I'm sure in years past it was more likely. But in today's game the equipment quality is pretty much across the board for those boys. I think it's interesting, but perhaps it has more to do with the stable Titleist has built? Dunno but we've had a fantastic major series so far this year.

Agreed man. I just thought it was unique up till this point. And it could have been any OEM

Nike had all 4, not in a calendar year, with the Tiger Slam

I guess I should have clarified- it's less about Titleist - more about the 4 majors and any significance

Oh I know, just being funny (didn't work stupid internet)

But back to my original thought of being a coincidence and more about the players than the gear.

On the flip side, maybe it's a numbers game? Not sure how the OEM breaks down for the majors (player qualifications, etc.) but being that titleist "seems" to have a bigger group would skew in their favor to make a run.

Did Nike? I knew they had the ball but I'm not 100% on the irons and driver etc

Did Nike? I knew they had the ball but I'm not 100% on the irons and driver etc
Pretty sure Tiger was playing Titleist clubs in 2000, but not positive.

Honestly I didn't really think about it until you put up this thread. Certainly is interesting and bodes well for Titleist.
It's also a pretty good year for Under Armour.

It is kind of funny seeing as how a lot of people seem to think that Titleist is dying a slow death.

It would depend what what club(s) you were looking at or what kind of sponsorship you were looking at.

Are we looking at just clubs? Staff bag and putter too? Just driver? One of the reasons it's difficult is the tiger woods factor. He was winning at a huge clip and outside of Trevor and Lucas nobody of significance was playing a swoosh.

This will almost always come down to the company sponsoring the most people.

I guess all of the above. I just thought it was unique. Has it happened in any situation recently?

I guess all of the above. I just thought it was unique. Has it happened in any situation recently?

Not sure.
With sponsorships now being what they are, heck even the two winners so far this year are different with Zach using SeeMore and Jordan not carrying at Titleist bag. I still think they are Titleist guys, but heck, most consider Jordan an Under Armour guy only.

I think a company like TaylorMade can absolutely do it with drivers, but they sponsor so few guys fully, but more than any in driver. Titleist can easily do it, because of the amount of guys they sponsor, especially golf ball. The rest can do it, but they are going to need a guy to win 2.

My gut told me TaylorMade either did it or was close several times

Last time an OEM won all 4 majors?

I still look at guys by what equipment they play I guess. Or what dominates the bag. Then there's the guys like JB Holmes who goes out and confuses my theory

My gut told me TaylorMade either did it or was close several times

I havent looked as I am packing up, but if it happened, it would be driver only most likely and would have had to have happened during the Paddy years. And I think Tiger won in each of those years too. It would basically have to happened in the last 7 years or so or before Tiger to find it.

Back