Best advice to cure the dreaded Hook.

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
The title says it all. Can work the ball in both directions but when I get the hooks, watch out. Can only get them under control after a large bucket of balls on the range.

Any advice for a quick fix before my round goes down the drain.

Thanks

Hey Doc, Check your grip first. Make sure your hands aren't too strong then go from there.

I sympathize big time. When I start playing bad, I'm hooking it big. It's going to depend on what causes your hooks, but for me, it comes from my hands getting ahead of my hip turn and causing me to a) come over the top slightly and b) close the face prematurely - both of which lead to a pull hook. What has worked for me lately is to consciously think about aggressively turning my hips into the ball and not thinking about the hands. Sometimes this will introduce a slight right miss due to not enough face closure, but that's a lot easier to work with for me than a big screaming hook.

YMMV, but that's my $0.02.

Aim left. Open your stance and shoulders to the line and keep the club face on line.

face-to-path. first make sure the path isn't getting too open to the target line. if that's not it, make sure your grip isn't getting too strong. if that's not it, make sure your lower body is working correctly.

for me, the hooks come when i'm not pushing my lower body hard enough to the target with hips clearing during the downswing, and/or when i'm letting the clubhead drop way under the plane in the downswing.

good luck! you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen.

One of the biggest things that has helped me is a simple swing thought and that is to keep the left shoulder high through the swing. That helped me keep from swinging around my body so much.

There is no quick fix for the hooks. These are caused by any of a number of swing flaws. One fix, if applied incorrectly, could make things a lot worse. I would go see a pro or put your swing on video and I can have a look.

Aim left. Open your stance and shoulders to the line and keep the club face on line.

When I am hitting too far left I like to try this, setting up for a fade. It usually doesn't fade but goes straight or less left. A temporary fix of course but has helped until I can see someone about what is causing it.

Hey Doc, Check your grip first. Make sure your hands aren't too strong then go from there.
I have a strong grip. Will try to water it down a bit.

My hooks seem to come from not transferring my weight to the left properly, it causes my hands to get ahead of my body and "flip" through impact causing pull hooks.

To correct it my swing thought becomes my right knee, if I make sure I start my downswing by firing it at the target then the weight shift takes care if itself.....no as someone else said that can lead to shots that leak a little right at times but I can adjust my aim for that.

I have a strong grip. Will try to water it down a bit.

Indeed you do. From what I remember from playing at Sterlings with you, your right hand is almost under the grip. I say this is a good place to start. Good luck, Doc!

When I am hitting too far left I like to try this, setting up for a fade. It usually doesn't fade but goes straight or less left. A temporary fix of course but has helped until I can see someone about what is causing it.
Will use this power fade setup move. Should be a temp fix until my next lesson.

Indeed you do. From what I remember from playing at Sterlings with you, your right hand is almost under the grip. I say this is a good place to start. Good luck, Doc!
Weak grip open stance killed the hooking bird.

At worst a weak slice or push to the fringe. And I'm not playing with US Open rough in ventura. Not with our water rationing.

Thanks my Brother SoCal THP'ER.

Maybe a day break Olivas round would be right up your alley.

Switching to a fade really helped me out. But if it's an OTT hook, you gotta get that under control first.

I had a real bad case of the lefts yesterday, pull hooking everything from short to long clubs. It did not help my leading foot is strained. In order to turn it caused a huge amount of pain. After one shot I felt I may need to walk off.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NO hip rotation through impact was causing this. Let the foot heal or you will pick up some bad habits
I had a real bad case of the lefts yesterday, pull hooking everything from short to long clubs. It did not help my leading foot is strained. In order to turn it caused a huge amount of pain. After one shot I felt I may need to walk off.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NO hip rotation through impact was causing this. Let the foot heal or you will pick up some bad habits
Anyone know the impact of early or late hip rotation? Or is no rotation through impact the same as late rotation?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I sometimes suffer from this as well. I think someone has mentioned it already but for me I make sure my right hand is super loose on the club right before take away. Nice slow back swing and make sure I swing "down the line" and not over the top of the ball. Usually works itself out or at least cuts it down to a manageable draw

Anyone know the impact of early or late hip rotation? Or is no rotation through impact the same as late rotation?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Early rotation can cause loss of spine angle, hanging back or moving out in front of the ball. Late will cause pull and hooks. No rotation mainly causes hooks but a slice can be brought into play by not releasing and hanging back

Grip like hell with the last three fingers on your left hand and think 'high cut'.

Same issue for me. But when I keep my head behind the ball that automatically makes the hips clear and squares the clubface.
No more hooks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Grip like hell with the last three fingers on your left hand and think 'high cut'.
Tension kills the golf swing. Gripping like hell is not a good fix.

Tension kills the golf swing. Gripping like hell is not a good fix.

For me the added grip pressure relaxes the rest of body. My hook happens because the club shuts at the top if my grip slightly relaxes and my arms take over instead to try and square up at impact instead of letting the club do what it wants. If my grip holds I hit it straight. My coach and I worked on this yesterday with fantastic results. Will not work for everybody but it works for me.

Back