Question about lie and length adjustments for wedges.

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've got the JPX-850 Cast irons in XP115 shaft + 1/2" in length and 2* upright on the lie angle. I currently own Cleveland RTX CB 54 and 58 wedges along with a 60 Callaway PM Grind I just purchased in their stock configurations.

I noticed when I got out on the range to get some work in with my new Callaway that I am making a good bit of toe contact on it so it made me think I should look into getting my wedges adjusted accordingly to match my irons.

My 850 PW and GW are currently 36" and 35.75" with a lie of 65* each in their adjusted specs. The Cleveland wedges are 35.25" and 35.125" with a lie angle of 64*. The Callaway is 35" with a lie angle of 64* as well.

Based on those original specs for the Cleveland and the Callaway, would it make sense to have them each extended 1/2" and made 2* upright as well? I see that would make my 50 and 54 wedges the same length while the 58 is 1/8" shorter.

I'm sure I'll take them into my shop and they will have me hit them on a lie board to make sure but I would believe the extra 1/2" length would impact that lie angle a bit as well.

Out of curiosity how do you hit your wedges now? Do you have a particular miss? How are this full shot distances in relation to your irons?

It could make sense to change them just to fit you better.

They tend to go a bit left for me. I'm a lefty. As far as distances go, they do tend to be shorter than I think they should compared to my other wedges. Most contact tends to be out towards the toe. I'm also 6'3".

Yeah I could see how them being longer would help. Pulling through because they are too short explains left and toe.

I have the exact same specs as you (+ 1/2", 2 deg upright) on my irons and I ordered a 56 and 60 PM grind last month with the same specs. Like you I was hitting the stock club toe side and the Lie Board showed I should get them 2 deg upright as well. So I did and I get better results. It's not a night and day difference, but it's better for sure. YMMV. Also, 1st post!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

Back