Uncle Freddie! Help! Problems squaring long clubs at impact.

PureLiquidHell

Reaction score
Handicap
James May
Hello Mr. Kong. I need your help again. Getting back into the swing of things and I'm having a hard time getting my 3-4 hybrid, fairway wood and driver square at impact. I've tried everything from grip, strong or neutral to moving my hands guicker on the downswing. It doesn't matter if I'm using my old swing or my new single plane(ish) swing, it still persist. Its resulting in a thin duff to a huge banana slice due to me leading very badly with my hands first. Every other club is coming along nicely with the exception of those mentioned.

Help Freddie! Its driving me nuts and thank you for you time.

My first thought is a lack of release, grip pressure and a slide into the ball. Couple this with a loss of spine angle and the misses you described will persist.

I believe each swing has an optimum grip. So I can't tell you which grip to have. But I can tell you the hands need to work as one. Meaning, the thumb of the left should fit into the palm of the right. This is for weak, neutral or strong.

You grip pressure is very important when we are dealing with release. If the pressure is too tight you will not release the club and will more than likely hit the ball with an open face. Combine this with a slide and loss of spine angle, you will see the misses your described.

So make sure you retain spine angle, turn through the shot and behind the ball. And make sure you grip pressure is firm not constricting. Take a look at the Rory breakdown thread. It spells out what should be done in order to be consistent.

My first thought is a lack of release, grip pressure and a slide into the ball. Couple this with a loss of spine angle and the misses you described will persist.

I believe each swing has an optimum grip. So I can't tell you which grip to have. But I can tell you the hands need to work as one. Meaning, the thumb of the left should fit into the palm of the right. This is for weak, neutral or strong.

You grip pressure is very important when we are dealing with release. If the pressure is too tight you will not release the club and will more than likely hit the ball with an open face. Combine this with a slide and loss of spine angle, you will see the misses your described.

So make sure you retain spine angle, turn through the shot and behind the ball. And make sure you grip pressure is firm not constricting. Take a look at the Rory breakdown thread. It spells out what should be done in order to be consistent.

Thank you thank you thank you Freddie, I'll take this to the range and give the Rory thread a look. You're the man.

Back