Heading to Whistling Straits - Tuesday Practice Round

VPSax

Golf Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
Good evening, THP!

I'll be heading to the PGA Championship tomorrow with my family to catch the Tuesday Practice Round. Will post pictures, anecdotes, and impressions here, for those who are interested.

Looking forward to sharing,
Vee

Look forward to the pictures

Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a great time!

Enjoy the course. It's amazing. They've really upped their game out there since the first time the PGA visited in 2004.

Lucky you! I'll be checking out the pics as they come

Vee, I'm going on Sunday. Looking forward to hearing your comments and pics.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Have fun!

Hope you have a great time!

If I were within 4-5 hours (by car) I would go also. Absolutely love that place and going on Tuesday>Sunday. Up close and personal beats 50k ppl anyway for me. I've gone twice which is pretty good for me being a Texas boy & I can't wait to go back

Ticket's for fri. round MASH POTATOE'S

What an AMAZING day. Just got back to the hotel with the family. I will update and post pics later.

Best course I've ever played. I would love to see a round in person. I'm jealous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK...first off, a disclaimer - I had my wife and 7 year old twins with me, so I did not get to do everything that I wanted to. With no one to slow me down, I would have definitely checked out the practice range and walked more holes.

The course was packed, but surely nothing like what it is/will be on tournament days. Everything was well organized - plenty of volunteers, signage, and amenities. The course is a little confusing to navigate, but we made our way through the back 9. When we arrived the Mickelson-Fowler-Spieth-Thomas group was on the 10th tee, so we followed them for a while. We camped out a bit on the 16th fairway, right where most of the drives were landing. It was a good spot to sit and rest. The day finished by the 18th green and then at the gift shop.

Course conditions are amazing, as you would expect. Players seemed to be testing out the wind, and would often play a couple of shots from the fairway to see what works best for them. We also witnessed a lot of players taking their ball from the rough and moving it to the fairway...lots of jokes amongst the gallery about how we wish we could do the same when we play! For the most part, the players were friendly and accomodating. Spieth was a total class act - he signed autographs throughout the round and was extremely friendly and approachable...more so than anyone else we encountered. It's easy to see why he is so well-liked. I was surprised to see some big names blow off the fans, telling us that "they'll see us after the round." This of course did not happen.
d4e523f271439e2578847be02a57f283.jpg
e7b39cab012520faf4c3ce9ea19d1eba.jpg

Here's a couple of Rich Beem
d87a798a57d6cf61924e5917ec43de74.jpg
f992584cdd44469279437eec465dfece.jpg

Spieth on the 10th fairway. He was the only one of the foursome to birdie the hole. Came up short with this shot...
c964b621aad67f51a8cf64337567a179.jpg

Some action shots from the 16th. Keegan is in one of them. Longest drive I saw of the groups that came through.
ccf27c53e10f88cce7122fbd93bddecc.jpg
e1ad92cee003dd63c33c1b0ca1154cc3.jpg
bfda6b4021eb445f52686303a110160c.jpg
a841d2e35b6e9d9b32e469a1633b2806.jpg

Best part of the day - David Lingmerth hit his drive right at us...it bounced, hit my shoe, and landed three feet from me and my son. He approached his ball and a volunteer said that it almost hit us. Lingmerth struck up a conversation with my son, signed our souvenir flag, and gave my daughter a ball. The ball was a Pro V1x + ...a model that I didn't know existed (see the picture). He then preceeded to hit his second shot about three feet from us. So cool.
11bca932b262d2f878d98b9cb7f0d2d4.jpg
3a453b5e6d1812b3dbabca4951b563e5.jpg
01dfa72597af25e1c443d30c073be7b6.jpg

Chris Wood and Paul Lawrie on the putting green.
356e24cb6a02d55f82c9fae5c3cddc69.jpg
07fda4bdb11f871b79432457f2e149de.jpg

All in all, a great day and one that my kids will never forget. Highly recommended!

Last edited:
Best course I've ever played. I would love to see a round in person. I'm jealous.

I was so impressed (and depressed) by the contact that the pros make with the ball. TV does not do it justice.

Very nice day. So cool of Lingmerth. Bet he has a fan for life now in your daughter.

Spieth on the 10th fairway. He was the only one of the foursome to birdie the hole. Came up short with this shot...
c964b621aad67f51a8cf64337567a179.jpg

I am proud to say I birdied that hole.

Very nice day. So cool of Lingmerth. Bet he has a fan for life now in your daughter.
Funny thing...after he walked away, my son said that "he's so happy he got to meet Louis Oosthuisen!" I guess the Ping branding confused him. :)

I am proud to say I birdied that hole.

And having seen you hurt the ball in KC. I bet you carried those two pot bunkers in the fairway with ease.

Those photos were awesome and I bet the pros who stopped by and talked with your kids now have fans for life. Very awesome.

And having seen you hurt the ball in KC. I bet you carried those two pot bunkers in the fairway with ease.

Yep. I had a 58 degree wedge to the green. It wasn't my longest drive since it was all uphill.
e1ed48337b30bd6612a033df0c92533d.jpg

Such a cool experience. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like a great time. Glad the kids enjoyed themselves too.

I need to borrow somebody's kids for the next tourney around here!

Looks like a great time. Glad the kids enjoyed themselves too.

I need to borrow somebody's kids for the next tourney around here!

We totally used the "cute factor" with our kids to get the attention of the players. Rickie gave us a thumbs up!

Back