Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Wedge Review

I am loving these wedges. I've played about 10 rounds with them like them better than my old Vokey's. In my last round, I had 84 yards to the pin. I was by myself and playing through a group, so trying to hurry. I hit a really nice shot with my 59* wedge, right at the pin. I didn't even watch it...just bent down to pick up the divot and heard a clank. I looked up and didn't see the ball. When I got near the green, I checked the front bunker, thinking the ball might have hit the flagstick and backed up into the bunker. Nothing. Walked up to the hole, looked inside, and there was my ball. Eagle 2! There was a chunk of grass missing from the edge of the cup where my ball hit. Only bummer was that nobody saw it...including me!

Nice shot!

I thought about putting in a custom but I wanted an apples to apples comparison between the j40 and these. Getting a much better result now with the shaft switch.

Although now I want to try tours in them. Thanks Freddie, I'm running out of ferrules here haha

What ferrules size does these wedges use? Im gonna put the KBS custom white wedge shaft ekstra stiff on :)

Just picked up the first of two of these; I've moved from the Cleveland 588's to these in 52 and 60 (keeping my 56 in Cleveland for now: I like the heavy feel when digging through the sand). They're much lighter than the 588's, which I appreciate. Average dispersion for the 52 was 10 yards at ~110 yards over roughly 15 balls once I took out the outliers (I didn't warm up). Average flight was between 97 yards and 105 yards with rollout anywhere from 5 to 8 yards. When I played them in the middle of my stance, I was launching at 34+ degrees, and the spin was upward of 11K RPM. Back of the swing led to a much lower launch angle (29 degrees) and reduced spin (9500 - 10K RPM) -- I should note here these numbers are based on the machine; I can't justify a 5 - 8 yard rollout at 11K RPM on anything but concrete. Golf balls were leaving a significant amount of white on the clubface. I have the KBS Hi-Rev shafts installed; Tour Velvet Corded grips.

I really like this wedge.

Last edited:
Picked up a 50, 56, and 60 from PGA Superstore in Paramus this week. Gonna bend the 56 to 55 to even out the lofts. They look and feel awesome, hopefully gonna take them out today and give them a whirl.

Anybody got any pics of the slate heavily used ?

Finally got to take these out on some grass yesterday. Since it was temp greens I can't really talk spin. The greens were essentially little circles of fairway that were mowed tighter. Match that up with soggy conditions and the balls literally just stopped dead on the ground - plugged if there were high enough. Anyways, that wasn't really what I was looking at anyway since I knew the deal ahead of time. Just curious how they matched up with my short game and I was pretty happy.

Hit some little touch pitches from 25-30 yards to get a feel for them and I liked what I saw. I'll definitely have to see what the spin story is though before I get too far ahead of myself there.

Also worked on the 9:00 swing and found some nice accuracy and distance control., especially with the 53/57. 61 seemed to work better closer in and with shorter swings.

For as long as I complained about it, the leading edge doesn't bother me any more.

For as long as I complained about it, the leading edge doesn't bother me any more.

I thought this at first but after a few weeks of using them i no longer gave it any thought

I thought this at first but after a few weeks of using them i no longer gave it any thought

Funny how that works. It really bothered me there for awhile, but is a non-issue now.

Funny how that works. It really bothered me there for awhile, but is a non-issue now.
Hmmm I would of never guess buddy....

Ha! I'm an adaptor :)

These are some of my favorite wedges thus far. I feel like they can really do anything I need them to. I love the headweight and I am seeing tons of spin.

I'm so glad I got to play on a gorgeous and well groomed course yesterday (RTJ, Palmetto Dunes) because I was losing faith in my wedges. I should have just realized it was the winter conditions that were killing me for the last couple months. I hit some really good shots, from both grass and sand, this weekend, particularly yesterday. I brought back the hi-launching 58* and was quite successful. It's amazing what a nice course can do for your game.

These are some of my favorite wedges thus far. I feel like they can really do anything I need them to. I love the headweight and I am seeing tons of spin.

I feel some times i get to much spin on the 52*

I was offered a 60* with the U-grind. I am mainly a sweeper and a 23 handicap, is the U-grind not made for a player like me? Will it be difficult to hit?

I was offered a 60* with the U-grind. I am mainly a sweeper and a 23 handicap, is the U-grind not made for a player like me? Will it be difficult to hit?

I used the 58* U-Grind this weekend and am a sweeper and didnt run into any issues. Will come in handy when I work more on opening up the face for flop shots and sand shots too

Well, I don't know that it will be so much hard to hit as it will be pretty specialized. That's not really a full swing club and the way it's built sort of encourages high/floaty/spinny shots, so I'm using it more for short pitches that need to stop fast and open face stuff. I'm enjoying it, but I think it depends on your wedge game.

Would the head weight be considered average for the market or heavier/lighter? I am looking for something with a heavier head in a Sand Wedge.

I used the 58* U-Grind this weekend and am a sweeper and didnt run into any issues. Will come in handy when I work more on opening up the face for flop shots and sand shots too

Yeah I wasn't sure if the U-grind was kind of in its own class for the lower handicapper aka designed for Mickelson.

Well, I don't know that it will be so much hard to hit as it will be pretty specialized. That's not really a full swing club and the way it's built sort of encourages high/floaty/spinny shots, so I'm using it more for short pitches that need to stop fast and open face stuff. I'm enjoying it, but I think it depends on your wedge game.

That is the exact reason why I am looking for a 60*. To get the soft/high pitch shot where it won't roll out like my 55* does on shorter distances. I have my 50 and 55 for the 100-80 yard shots, I wanted this club for the finesse short shots. Sounds like the U grind would work, thanks guys.

Would the head weight be considered average for the market or heavier/lighter? I am looking for something with a heavier head in a Sand Wedge.

Pretty standard if you ask me. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary either way.

Pretty standard if you ask me. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary either way.

Thanks. I tend to play courses with very heavy sand and I am looking for some heft in the head to help drive through to the ball.

I want to say the SW is D3-D4, which is pretty standard.

For some reason, the Hopkins wedges always felt hefty to me, though that could just be total BS too. haha.

Back