Pretty proud of my son/gratuitous bragging

Awesome story! You sound very proud of your son. A future THPer in the making.

Thats so great !

Tell him that we are pulling for him and a huge congratulations!

adu5enu4.jpg

My son is on the right. They won!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

This is one place it's OK to brag on your kid! Congrats to you both!

The school they played today is the most rural one in our district. Long story short, not a lot of golfers to pull from. Ironically, they've produced some really good players in the past few years (Derek Ernst, who won the Wells Fargo last year came out of this middle school/high school), but they have no depth. They only have 2 7th graders on their team and those poor kids had never even touched a golf club until tryouts started a couple of weeks ago. They play a double par +1 max and they had to pick up on almost every hole. My son and his buddy played them since they were the #1 and #2 on our team this week. Needless to say, they didn't have much trouble winning the match, but it was technically a forfeit to begin with, since they didn't have a full squad. The last group of 8th graders played in front of us and fell way, way, way behind the group in front of them and our kids ended up only playing 5 holes. My son was 7 over and his buddy was 6 over. They actually both played well, but got into trouble on one or two holes each. But this is a tough course with a lot of water and serious bunkers, plus elevated greens and whatnot, so it's a real test for them. I figure the sooner they learn to navigate tougher holes, the better off they'll be.

Anyway, thanks to all of you guys for your interest. I told my boy before he teed off that a bunch of Hackers had wished him luck and he thought that was really cool.

Wow that is so awesome! 32 for par 27 is fantastic in 7th grade. Showing a lot of promise there! Keep at em.

No such thing as "gratuitous" bragging when it comes to kids, IMO. Good on him, that's a great score!

I'm gonna have to agree. You can never brag too much on your children. Congrats to your son on the score. Nicely done.

Always good to be proud of our children. There are too many parents that only condemn their kids.

Congrats, that's awesome.

That's great. Just make sure he knows how proud you are and keep encouraging him. Every kid want's to make their dad proud so let him know.

Well done and congrats to your son. Pretty awesome to hear stories like this.

I can't wait to get my daughter on the course this year.

Nice, congrats to the young boy, wishing him well with his golf development.

Always awesome to hear.

adu5enu4.jpg

My son is on the right. They won!

Awesome!! Congrats on the win! Tell him to keep up the hard work and it will pay off! Hopefully he keeps it up and you won't have to worry about paying so much for college! Keep us updated about how he does for the season!

An update for those of you who were interested in keeping up with my boy's progress. Played his second match today against one of the top schools in the district. This is supposedly one of the tougher golf programs and they feed into a competing high school. Anyway, our 7th graders won. Not sure how the 8th graders did as they were ahead of us, but all I really was concerned with was the 7th grade, since that's my son. We actually beat them by 18 strokes.

So the coolest part is that he did not play well yesterday when they were qualifying and seeding for today's match. They just score 5 holes on the par 3 course and he hit one in the water and ended up 7 over. He was so bummed out for so long last night, so we did a lot of talking about how to bounce back, what kind of mindset and mental approach to have today, etc. Talked about how those bad rounds will happen, but if you don't let them bring you down, you never know when a really good one can come. He was 1st seed in their first match and fell to 5th seed today. But I have to hand it to him. He rallied, had a great attitude today and played lights out. Parred the first hole, which is a par-4 dogleg left. Bogeyed the second (par 5). Double bogeyed the third, which is a really tricky, uphill par 3 surrounded by trouble. Then he parred the last 2 holes (a par 4 and a par 3). Par for the 5 holes they played was 19 and he shot 22. He had the best score of all the 7th graders on his team and they had a great showing all the way around today.

He's flying pretty high right now, to say the least. It feels really good, as a parent, to see your kid go through tough emotional roller coasters, but come out on the other side having learned a valuable lesson. I'm stoked for him and I know that there will be many, many more tough situations as it relates to golf, but hopefully he's learning that he can handle them with the right approach.

A couple of pics from today

7y3a9e5a.jpg
4u2age6y.jpg

Great update. Having a son that plays too, I love hearing stories about other kids.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

So awesome. Thank you for sharing. I'll be watching for this thread and rooting for your son (and you)!

Eddie
sounds like your son will be ready for some Norcal THP outings in the near future

man i hate getting schooled by kids makes me feel so old

That's great, I really enjoy reading about kids playing golf.

Side note, I think I know the other young man in the first pic or I know his father. I went to High School with him.

That's great, I really enjoy reading about kids playing golf.

Side note, I think I know the other young man in the first pic or I know his father. I went to High School with him.

Swanson, I believe is the last name. I could be wrong. Not 100% sure on that.

Eddie
sounds like your son will be ready for some Norcal THP outings in the near future

man i hate getting schooled by kids makes me feel so old

If we end up with an odd number for Poppy Ridge, I just may bring him for that one. With Youth on Course, he can play there for $5! We don't have to worry about him taking us down on big courses. Not yet. Give him a year and he'll probably be smoking me, but that's ultimately the goal. I want all of my kids to be better than me. Much better!

Swanson, I believe is the last name. I could be wrong. Not 100% sure on that.

Yes that's him. I hadn't seen his dad in 20 years, saw him at one of the Central Valley Junior golf tournaments about a year ago.

Back