The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wide takeaway to high hands. Transition with my back to the target and swing down with my arms in front of me.

That sounds really easy... :/

the only club I'll be adapting it to is my driver. Everything else will retain my current setup. Fair point, absolutely, but I'm not looking to adjust the -3/-4 I've got on my irons right now.

-3/-4 with irons is perfect. What I just didn't want to see you do is setup in the same way you would do that for a wedge and subsequently give yourself a negative AOA for a driver.

The instant satisfaction is tough though. You can hit good shots fast with new positions but they come and go. If your brain is a computer, you've got to rewrite the old, wrong code with this new stuff. Depending on the change, it could be quick or it could be longer than expected.

I think minute changes are harder than massive ones. They feel so subtle that you can slip out of it and not notice. The major ones are tough but it's such a big change that you're likely to start slow and small instead of go all out.

I just have to accept that my game is not going to be a 100% oiled machine the first time out. Even with all the work I've put in this winter.

-3/-4 with irons is perfect. What I just didn't want to see you do is setup in the same way you would do that for a wedge and subsequently give yourself a negative AOA for a driver.

Yessir. Two totally different swings and I am going to get that through my head every time I hit the range. I will cease the adjustment if it costs me any reduction in iron quality.

Reverse K like a @#$%^&%$# sir!!!!

Oh man.. I am already dying to get back on a launch monitor. Worked hard tonight on my driver, but kept going back to my irons because I want to clearly define them as different setups with very little bleed in.

Iron work was really crisp. Making a nice little move to keep contact flush, still striking dead center of the face after the decision to choke up on 1/2 long.

So.Flipping.Motivated.Right.Now.

I can't wait to get back to the range with you. Really happy to hear good thoughts about your driver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I think you'll be fine DanielSan

Well mad it out to the range today with Bhilln and holy cow it was windy!! I think if he would have grabbed me me I would have been waving like a flag lol. But anyways, started with the wedges and made it up to the 7 irons. Had no issue's and was hitting them well. Got to the 6 iron and ouch!!! Had maybe 5 out of 30 balls that I hit well with the 6 iron. Was switching between it and the 9 iron and could hit the nine just fine. Just couldn't get a good feel with it. Pulled the hybrid then 5 wood out and had no issue's with them hitting long and straight. Moved onto the driver and was hitting it awesome and was even doing some shot shaping even with the wind. One of the things I wanted to do tonight was hit the Cleveland 588 Custom Driver vs the CG Black Driver. Well hit them both well and man the CG Driver is light!!. Also before I did this I was working on my putting for half and hour and was dropping some nice putts. So overall 5/6 iron need some work or maybe I should drop the irons and use the altitude iron. Someday I'll be able to figure the 6 iron out. Got lessons tomorrow night will see how it goes.

I can't wait to get back to the range with you. Really happy to hear good thoughts about your driver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

And I'll need the help buddy. Alignment is surely going to need some improvement with the new setup.

I think you'll be fine DanielSan

Same. I'm really excited though. Will be spending less time reading numbers and more time learning about the golf swing this year, methinks.

I just have to accept that my game is not going to be a 100% oiled machine the first time out. Even with all the work I've put in this winter.

What range did you go to? Was it the Rookery? I just read today that it's a top 50 range in the US.

What range did you go to? Was it the Rookery? I just read today that it's a top 50 range in the US.

No unfortunately, couldn't get in to that one. It is just up the road from Marco on Collier Ave. Not a bad spot, although I am not sure I trust their distances much. Considering my 6 iron was traveling just past their 132 flag on well struck shots.

Well mad it out to the range today with Bhilln and holy cow it was windy!! I think if he would have grabbed me me I would have been waving like a flag lol. But anyways, started with the wedges and made it up to the 7 irons. Had no issue's and was hitting them well. Got to the 6 iron and ouch!!! Had maybe 5 out of 30 balls that I hit well with the 6 iron. Was switching between it and the 9 iron and could hit the nine just fine. Just couldn't get a good feel with it. Pulled the hybrid then 5 wood out and had no issue's with them hitting long and straight. Moved onto the driver and was hitting it awesome and was even doing some shot shaping even with the wind. One of the things I wanted to do tonight was hit the Cleveland 588 Custom Driver vs the CG Black Driver. Well hit them both well and man the CG Driver is light!!. Also before I did this I was working on my putting for half and hour and was dropping some nice putts. So overall 5/6 iron need some work or maybe I should drop the irons and use the altitude iron. Someday I'll be able to figure the 6 iron out. Got lessons tomorrow night will see how it goes.

Man, I don't know that you could have gotten much better of a sponsor with their progressive iron setup. Those altitudes could be wonderful difference makers for you in the MC!

Glad to hear you're working on your game, and with a good dude like bhillin as well!

So I'm trying to stay golf active on weeknights when I don't go to the range. Tonight I started putt and stretch Tuesdays lol.

Putts from 5 and 7 feet on the good ole accelerator and stretching the lower back and legs. Just kept it simple and it only took an hour.

#BearTrap

I got in a good 30 mins putting on the birdie ball tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today, I was going to work on pitch shots in the boulevard in front of my house, but I decided to take another trip down to the first tee facility near me to work on short game shots. I started out working on 50 yard pitch shots, but the ground was still too wet, and I couldn't find a spot where I could get a swing in without taking a huge mud divot, so I went back to one of the tees and worked on shots from 90 to 110 yards. Pretty much full wedge shots. I felt like I was getting my hips to start the downswing really well, and I was still able to get my weight moving forward with the turn, which has been a struggle.

Part of the course is lit, so I was able to stay past sunset, and I worked on shots out of one of the bunkers. Bunker wasn't in great shape, but it served its purpose. The SpeedBlade sand wedge was really easy to use out of there, as long as I commit to the shot. Once conditions dry up a bit, I'll have to work on sand shots with downhill lies.

Overall, a good practice session today. We'll see what the weather brings tomorrow.

More short game work today. Chipping and putting, chipping and putting!

Man, I don't know that you could have gotten much better of a sponsor with their progressive iron setup. Those altitudes could be wonderful difference makers for you in the MC!

Glad to hear you're working on your game, and with a good dude like bhillin as well!

Yea I'll bring the altitudes next time I am at the range. Need to fix this issue soon. Will bring it up to my instructor tomorrow and see what he says and what I need to change. I'll get her down Dan, there's no other option.

More swing work tonight just did 8 iron and 4 iron. Then putting focusing on stroke mechanics and setup.

Lesson #4 booked for this Friday. Told him how disgusted I was with this past weekend's performance and that we needed to keep pushing on. Hoping this is the first outdoor lesson of the year, and I certainly plan on taking advantage of any time this weekend I can get some swings in before the cold weather returns next week.

Hope everything works out. Stick with it! Looking forward to locking in a date for some on course action...

Lesson #4 booked for this Friday. Told him how disgusted I was with this past weekend's performance and that we needed to keep pushing on. Hoping this is the first outdoor lesson of the year, and I certainly plan on taking advantage of any time this weekend I can get some swings in before the cold weather returns next week.

Have been pondering the SeeMore SPi/Aimpoint School event that is taking place here in NJ in May. It is quite expensive and I fear that I may not get much from the SPi portion of it as I am already familiar with the process. With that said, I reached out this morning to the gentleman that is running it for a private 1 on 1 Aimpoint lesson. I struggle so much with reading greens and it is time for me to get that sorted out. I finally have (at least to me) a repeatable confident putting stroke so now I just need to find the correct lines.

Have been pondering the SeeMore SPi/Aimpoint School event that is taking place here in NJ in May. It is quite expensive and I fear that I may not get much from the SPi portion of it as I am already familiar with the process. With that said, I reached out this morning to the gentleman that is running it for a private 1 on 1 Aimpoint lesson. I struggle so much with reading greens and it is time for me to get that sorted out. I finally have (at least to me) a repeatable confident putting stroke so now I just need to find the correct lines.

I've wanted to take aimpoint for a while now, but my putting is actually one of the better parts of my game right now and they are fairly expensive so I've talked myself out of it so far based on the fact that there are other parts of my game costing me many more strokes.

If reading lines was the worst part of my game, I'd have been at aimpoint class a long time ago.

SPi was a different story. I took 1 SPi lesson in Myrtle Beach a couple years ago and it just felt right and improved my putting by leaps and bounds immediately.

We're almost there dude! Eventually Spring has to come. Doesn't it?

I like this idea Ricky. Some green reading help has to be beneficial. Short game and putting will be your best friends in Myrtle Beach.

Had my second lesson last night, getting prepped for the season. Last week we corrected my set up, take away and move off the ball. Lack of practice over the winter had me standing to close to the ball leading to taking the club back outside and a mostly arm takeaway. With that mostly corrected we worked on getting a good turn through the ball and using the body to time my release rather than my hands. Even though I'm only hitting into a net, the feel of the swing is really coming along, making much better contact. Hopefully I can get outside to a range in the next couple of days to see what the ball flight looks like.

Nice work mh.

Are lessons something you do regularly each year, or is this new for you?

Spend about 30 mins putting on the birdie ball and another 45 at the gym trying to work on my swing plane. It's so not easy and frustrating. I'll get it tho. #TheGrindIsReal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back