Sox_Fan

Go Sox!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Cold Temps
At THP events, we are typically pretty generous in giving shorter putts. Would you be as willing to proclaim "that's good" to a 3 footer on 18 that your opponent has to win a big event, such as The Grandaddy or The Legacy, for their team?

No, they gotta make that one.

Nope....they are making the putt to win the event.

3 foot is pretty generous. Id say unless its 2' or less your putting it if it wins a point/match.

If the putt is to win anything then no, you gotta make it.

Nope, gotta make the putt to win

Feelings can get hurt when it comes to gimmies. In a competitive match, don't expect me to give you a 3' par putt just because you gave me one on a previous hole. Especially on 18. You better be prepared to putt out

I doubt that I'm giving any putt that wins a match. Not because I want to be a d*ck about it but because there's another person or team elsewhere on the course that is also trying to win; it isn't fair to them to give someone else the winning putt.

3' is too long for a gimme IMO.

At Legacy we were handing around actual gimmes a lot, but it's because people were leaving putts at like a foot. I (rightfully) wasn't given a 3-footer downhill to the hole on one of the par 3's. Strategically good move for Ron, I missed the putt. I would have made him putt it too, so no hard feelings or anything.

I don't like being given 3 footers. You have to practice those.

Good question Scott. In a match like that, I'm perfectly fine with my opponent coming up to me prior to the match and saying "Don't expect me to give you anything today." That then takes the onus off of me to feel any compunction to hand out gimme's as well. I always give tap-in's (around 6" or less), but if my opponent is struggling with the flat stick, is it ok for me to take advantage of that and force them to make even two footers? When your putting game is off, even those can get into your head.

I will say this ... if I'm in that situation and it's me who needs to make that putt to win ... I want to make it. I don't want it to be given to me.

3' is a little much. Inside of that, I'd give it.

I wouldn't give a gimmie on last 3 holes and I'd tell my opponent that at the get go. Earning the win will make them feel better.

At THP events, we are typically pretty generous in giving shorter putts. Would you be as willing to proclaim "that's good" to a 3 footer on 18 that your opponent has to win a big event, such as The Grandaddy or The Legacy, for their team?

On 18, it has to be rolled. I'm all for a great time and not winning/losing on the short ones, but it's a big moment.

If you're not given a putt you thought you should've been given, then make the putt. If you miss it, they were right not to give it.

3' in a fun match is not an issue. 3' in a real team match, I don't think I would give that.
Really depends on the type of player and type of putt. Easy little up hill putt, and your opponent is a decent putter, then I might just give it. Later in the round, when the pressure is growing, that easy putt that was given, might actually help you. They might not be as comfortable with the putt later in the round.
Just trying to keep them guessing.

You're putting that one. And maybe I'm a Richard, or it's because I haven't been to an actual THP event, but 3' in general seems rather generous. Even pros miss those. I'll give 2 footers all day though, except to win of course

No, I dont give any 3 footers!

Anything can happen in 3 feet. He has to make it. Even 2 feet with large breaks.

I remember reading in a recent thread ( possibly The Legacy) player A has a 2 footer to win the match. I'm saying to myself " pick it up, it's good". He made it, thank God.. Those of you that have played w/ me know I'm pretty generous about gimmes.. I don't want to be 'that guy' who made someone putt everything in a 'friendly ' competition.

A match winning putt from outside of for 1'

Back