2014 Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Woods

I tried the loft bump to 17 and had some hook issues. Then again I might have set it up for a hook and never knew it. Really is set up to just pound it though.

I really wanted to like this club, and I like a lot of things about it, but the X2 Hot just outperforms it for me. I will concede it may have something to do with the excellent Tour Blue shaft, as Hawk mentioned - I would LOVE to try this bad gal with a TB. On paper the Fubuki Zeta and the Tour Blue are similar shafts, but they definitely feel different, and the Zeta feels stouter in the tip to this hacker. Which may be why I like it less in a fairway, as I want those to get up quick when I hit them off the deck, which I do fairly frequently.

I have the 3W set to 16* right now. Still pounding it.

Interestingly, I'm teeing it up just a touch higher. Makes for perfect contact and a really nice launch. I hit a couple over 260 this weekend off the tee. Per the cart GPS, one was touching 270.

I hit one off the deck into a stiff breeze from about 260. The wind really held it up, but it was still in the 230-240 range. I was impressed.

First outing with this one over the weekend. I can't even remember if I hit it off the turf. I want to say I didn't get a chance. Either way, in a perfect world that's not really what this one is in the bag for.

I like the way it sets up. As a 5W, it's just a hair shorter and to me the head resembles a larger hybrid. That's a good thing in my books. I took a number of shots off a tee, and had some success there. Stock ball flight was in the mid/high range with a pretty gentle right/left shot shape. Toe misses weren't as prone to big left movements as the driver, which is a reason I'd opt for this on tighter/shorter holes. To be sure, I hit some balls with both and saw where they ended up. Conveniently saw my typical miss with both and the BB kept the ball on the left edge of the fairway, where the driver found the rough on the left side.

Great feeling club when you catch the center.

I still can't shake wanting to put a Tour Blue in it, and I know that one of these nights I'm going to buy a tipped pull. There are so many out there and they are already set up with the right adapter. At this point it's just a matter of getting it done. Not that there's anything wrong with the Fubuki, but I love the feel of the TB and know it's a good match for me.

Sorry Hawk, what you mean by tipped pull... In your situation owning BB 5W would you need to buy just the extra shaft or also shaft plus some sort of additional adapter? Is that a work that needs be done by a professional fitter?

Sorry Hawk, what you mean by tipped pull... In your situation owning BB 5W would you need to buy just the extra shaft or also shaft plus some sort of additional adapter? Is that a work that needs be done by a professional fitter?

There are actually pulls from the X2Hot line out there that either do or don't have the adapter. Slightly more expensive with the adapter, but this one requires it. I suppose I could have the one on the Fubuki pulled and reused, but that's not always a guarantee that it will work.

Got it. Could you please let us know should you be able to make it... interesting interchangeable concept

For sure.

I have a feeling the Tour Blue would be awesome for you in this thing Ryan. I am quite enjoying the Diamana Kai'li in mine

Waiting for a couple of adapters to show up so I can put mine through the paces. Hoping it puts my XHP 17* on the pine.

I really wanted to like this club, and I like a lot of things about it, but the X2 Hot just outperforms it for me. I will concede it may have something to do with the excellent Tour Blue shaft, as Hawk mentioned - I would LOVE to try this bad gal with a TB. On paper the Fubuki Zeta and the Tour Blue are similar shafts, but they definitely feel different, and the Zeta feels stouter in the tip to this hacker. Which may be why I like it less in a fairway, as I want those to get up quick when I hit them off the deck, which I do fairly frequently.

I went through the same thing, SkiBumGolfer. Went to GS and they were all the rage about the BB. (Full disclosure-I already had bought the x2hot hybrids)
Hit the x2hot with tour blue s and r shafts. s worked better without much loss in distance but much better dispersion.
Hit the bb with both s and r. Neither felt as good (a little boardy to me) and hit a little shorter without good dispersion.

Again, really wanted to like the BB but took the x2hot home with me.
Stopped at my club range on way home and hit it against my gamer, Titleist 910F.
No contest. I was flying x2hot past carry of my 910F.

Time will tell.

I went through the same thing, SkiBumGolfer. Went to GS and they were all the rage about the BB. (Full disclosure-I already had bought the x2hot hybrids)
Hit the x2hot with tour blue s and r shafts. s worked better without much loss in distance but much better dispersion.
Hit the bb with both s and r. Neither felt as good (a little boardy to me) and hit a little shorter without good dispersion.

Again, really wanted to like the BB but took the x2hot home with me.
Stopped at my club range on way home and hit it against my gamer, Titleist 910F.
No contest. I was flying x2hot past carry of my 910F.

Time will tell.

Yep, sounds about like me. I went with X2H 3 and 5 woods in stiff. It's funny, I had the exact opposite experience with the driver - I was a hook machine with the X2H because (I'm guessing) of the softer tip in the Tour Blue, where with the BB/Fubuki combo I felt much more in control and hit some of the longest drives (numbers wise, anyways) I've ever hit.

At any rate, BB is definitely a solid fairway wood, but MAN would it be awesome with that Tour Blue in there.

I had fun with the 3W tonight hitting it to the right of my target and drawing it back in. Move the ball further up in my stance and I was hitting a high, baby cut. The workability is just awesome with this club.

You hit this thing really well when we played Canes.

Yep, sounds about like me. I went with X2H 3 and 5 woods in stiff. It's funny, I had the exact opposite experience with the driver - I was a hook machine with the X2H because (I'm guessing) of the softer tip in the Tour Blue, where with the BB/Fubuki combo I felt much more in control and hit some of the longest drives (numbers wise, anyways) I've ever hit.

At any rate, BB is definitely a solid fairway wood, but MAN would it be awesome with that Tour Blue in there.

Agree completely with the thoughts on the tour blue. I think I would have bought it had it had that shaft in it.

I struggled like hell with this one yesterday. Still got some surprisingly decent results on most misses, but I don't think I hit it in the center one time. I'm going to just chalk it up to not sticking with the 80% swing. I've practiced very little with it though. Not a favorite of mine to hit long clubs in the garage.

I am debating on whether to have the 3W in the bag or dial up the 5W to be strong. Was talking with JB about this last week and I was saying how I was thinking about going 5W and having it at 17° and he goes "You know the 3W can be at 17° too." So now I am trying to figure out what will be better. I need to spend a bit of time with them I think on a monitor to see how I like each one.

Are you planning on just one fairway wood Brad? What are you planning on using it for?

I think a couple factors come into play there. I went 5w with the idea that I'd do what you said because I'd rather see an open face at address instead of a closed down 3W. Also have to keep in mind that the 3W will be larger all around and longer shafted (unless you manipulate that somehow).

I am debating on whether to have the 3W in the bag or dial up the 5W to be strong. Was talking with JB about this last week and I was saying how I was thinking about going 5W and having it at 17° and he goes "You know the 3W can be at 17° too." So now I am trying to figure out what will be better. I need to spend a bit of time with them I think on a monitor to see how I like each one.

I love my 3W but increasing the loft +2 is a bit closed for me. Something to consider.

Thanks guys for the input on the face angle. That may push me towards the 5w. I would be using it occasionally off the tee and on par 5's Hawk. That's at least how I use my FW now, but with the length that is being described in the X2Hot Hybo thread, that may change things depending on how that gaps. Right now, I am planning on going 5-PW in the irons, unless the fitting says otherwise.

Thanks guys for the input on the face angle. That may push me towards the 5w. I would be using it occasionally off the tee and on par 5's Hawk. That's at least how I use my FW now, but with the length that is being described in the X2Hot Hybo thread, that may change things depending on how that gaps. Right now, I am planning on going 5-PW in the irons, unless the fitting says otherwise.

I'll keep you updated on how it's working out for me. I had some success with it up until last weekend when it was really the only club I hit poorly in the bag. Immediately decided I didn't like it anymore hahaha. Looking back, I do believe I was just trying to swing it too hard and deviating from what I've been trying to iron out.

I did order a Tour Blue pull for it for next to nothing though. That would give me a similar profile in all my metalwoods and it's a shaft I know I like. That was my way of slightly punishing the club, while sort of taking a teeny tiny bit of responsibility for the poor performance.

As it's been said raising the loft on 3w will close the face and lowering the loft on 5w will open it slightly. It would depend on your preference on how it looks at address. Personally I would get the 5w and lower the loft. If the open face bothers you, you can adjust the hosel to draw setting.

I've had the 3w at -1 and 5w at neutral in play for quite a while. Honestly thinking about taking the driver out of the bag completely. I can get the 3w out to 300 at times off the tee and I hit it so much more consistently than driver. Perhaps I'll add another hybrid or go back to 50, 55, 60 wedge set up

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

As it's been said raising the loft on 3w will close the face and lowering the loft on 5w will open it slightly. It would depend on your preference on how it looks at address. Personally I would get the 5w and lower the loft. If the open face bothers you, you can adjust the hosel to draw setting.

I've had the 3w at -1 and 5w at neutral in play for quite a while. Honestly thinking about taking the driver out of the bag completely. I can get the 3w out to 300 at times off the tee and I hit it so much more consistently than driver. Perhaps I'll add another hybrid or go back to 50, 55, 60 wedge set up

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Wow if I could get that distance out of a fairway wood with any kind of consistency other than the 1 out of 30 times (If that even) it seems to happen now, I would drop that driver like it was on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple notes after today's round.

Definitely flipping shafts in this one to (hopefully) get the ball a little higher. Doesn't have to be extreme and I don't expect it to be, but a little more height would be nice.

I hit this really well today. In fact, 2/2 GIR's with it, both shots into the wind from the turf that cut right through and stopped quickly enough. One straight up a hill into the wind to 10 feet. This club really forces me to commit to not trying to kill the ball it seems, because I got the best results that way opposed to last week when I did the opposite and failed pretty badly. Sounds so good at impact. Open face sets up really nice to me eye as well. Just need a little more height to be completely satisfied, but moving to the 5w appears to be a good decision.

A couple notes after today's round.

Definitely flipping shafts in this one to (hopefully) get the ball a little higher. Doesn't have to be extreme and I don't expect it to be, but a little more height would be nice.

I hit this really well today. In fact, 2/2 GIR's with it, both shots into the wind from the turf that cut right through and stopped quickly enough. One straight up a hill into the wind to 10 feet. This club really forces me to commit to not trying to kill the ball it seems, because I got the best results that way opposed to last week when I did the opposite and failed pretty badly. Sounds so good at impact. Open face sets up really nice to me eye as well. Just need a little more height to be completely satisfied, but moving to the 5w appears to be a good decision.

I like the sound of that. I got a chance to compare the 3W and the 5W last night from a looks standpoint. I was surprised at how small of a profile the 3W had (at least when compared to the J40 and Super S). I like the idea of the 5. Shorter shaft, slightly smaller head. Good off the deck and the tee.

I like the sound of that. I got a chance to compare the 3W and the 5W last night from a looks standpoint. I was surprised at how small of a profile the 3W had (at least when compared to the J40 and Super S). I like the idea of the 5. Shorter shaft, slightly smaller head. Good off the deck and the tee.

I only hit it off the tee once today and it was a good one as well. A little over drawn, but playable and the distance I needed on a position hole. I do think I'll drop down to 42 inches when I reshaft though. Most likely.

Back