Do I need midsize grips?

CBaker

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey THP. Just a quick question for anyone with a good amount of grip knowledge...but based on this picture, do I need midsize grips? This grip is a standard grip with an extra build up layer. I have heard that your fingers should barely touch your palm, but mine are definitely completely covered and overlapped by my palm, and my glove gets worn out pretty quickly where they touch. So what say you, THP?

dd29086ccedca0c2f47727fe21f7d030.jpg

By the book, I'd say you'd need Midsize. Now in reality, it's all a matter of feel and experimentation to determine your preference and best results.

Yeah. Midsized. Or, at least try three wraps of tape.

Difficult to answer IHMO. I have huge hands and always could palm a basketball. When I started at age 13 I just used what was given to me. After I got into golf I mostly used mid-size. When buying clubs and sets, regripping gets expensive so along the way I used many regular grips. Now I just use Golf Pride Decade grips with two wraps. To tell the truth I am not sure if I am 'correct' but it seems to work. I think the larger the grip the harder it is to break your wrists. Good luck.

Difficult to answer IHMO. I have huge hands and always could palm a basketball. When I started at age 13 I just used what was given to me. After I got into golf I mostly used mid-size. When buying clubs and sets, regripping gets expensive so along the way I used many regular grips. Now I just use Golf Pride Decade grips with two wraps. To tell the truth I am not sure if I am 'correct' but it seems to work. I think the larger the grip the harder it is to break your wrists. Good luck.

That's part of my problem though (over breaking my wrists). After I started to improve and get rid of my wicked slice, I have started to hook things a lot more and have different problems. I also go through gloves so fast because of it at the moment haha

Only if you don't like your standards.

Yeah. Midsized. Or, at least try three wraps of tape.

I agree. You could pull your grips and try adding wraps, or try a midsize on one or two clubs first, before switching them all.

Do I need midsize grips?

Tried some used Apex's out with midsized grips at the store and I enjoyed them. Definitely feel a lot bigger, but it felt good in my swing and my hands felt good on the grip as well. I think that kind of solidifies that for me

I suggest you keep tinkering with things over the next two weeks :)

Based on that pic I would say go mid size. It feels different sometimes but different in usually better

Based on that pic I would say go mid size. It feels different sometimes but different in usually better

Yea I hit every shot straight with the midsized grips on the apex's, but I'm not sold that it was simply because of the grips haha

I suggest you keep tinkering with things over the next two weeks :)

Be careful what you wish for. Could make everything click.

Technically, sure. Although many players use the size grip based on the feel/results they like. Some guys even use undersize grips because they feel it promotes work-ability. I have large hands and prefer midsize, but that's not to say they're for everybody. Just play what feels comfortable.

Just like to say hello to everybody. This is my first day on the list although I have visited before. About a month ago, I went to golf galaxy and dropped off clubs for re-gripping. I grabbed some Golf Pride grips not realizing they were mid-sized and had them installed. It took a little getting use to at first but now I'm back to playing the same bad golf I was before with the regular grips. HTHs.

Maybe put a midsize on one of your irons and see which you like better?

That's part of my problem though (over breaking my wrists). After I started to improve and get rid of my wicked slice, I have started to hook things a lot more and have different problems. I also go through gloves so fast because of it at the moment haha

Yes. I would recommend switching to midsize grips or simply bulk the grip up with some tape. You are correct about the finders not touch the palm, that way you get more feel of the club and can apply better pressures. A potential reason for your recent hooking can be because the grip is too small. Usually the more thickness in the grip the less face rotation through the ball. (A good reason why so many people are using FAT superstroke grips on putters these days)

If you are concerned with the cost of adding new midsize grips on or your standard grips are new just have the club repair man blow off the grips and add lOTS of tape :)

From the looks of it yes - however I would try one club first before anything else....

Also, are you fighting a hook?

From the looks of it yes - however I would try one club first before anything else....

Also, are you fighting a hook?

I have started hooking shots now that I have gotten better, yes. I have a more consistent swing now and don't slice the ball from a bad out to in swing I use to have, and now my miss tends to be a hook or a pull.

I had the same issue you did, went to Tour Velvet midsize grips and never looked back. I even bumped it up a bit by adding another wrap. I feel like the club doesn't get lost in my hands anymore.

Made the change to midsize a couple of months ago and it has helped a lot. I'm not slicing the ball near as bad and more comfortable hitting long irons.

Based on the pic, I'd say yes, but agree with a lot of the others that the feel of the club will have a lot to do with it as well.

I went to all midsized this year after having a driver re-gripped with a midsize in the spring. I really liked how much less tension I felt with the midsize, and put them on all my irons. Now when I get a new club with a standard grip, it doesn't feel right until it has a midsize on it.

PLAY WHAT FEELS AND PERFORMS FOR YOU....

I can't stand regular sized hard grips.... feels like my forearms would burn after 10 shots from holding on so tight and skanked it everywhere. I play with oversized and soft grips and was fitted for reg. - forearms relax and hit solid shots.

Play around to find the right size, texture and degree of softness....

TRIAL AND ERROR SIR!

-David

You could even try putting a rib down the bottom right side of your grip. Ben Hogan did this as a reminder to always have the feeling of the clubface being open in the hands. As is well known he really fought a hook his entire career until he dreamed up every possible scenario to hit a fade and went on the dominate.

I think ribs can be extremely beneficial I would just exclude them from wedges since you tend to play wedges from so many different positions.

Well...my midsized iLines came in. So we'll see how they go, but after swinging a few clubs at the store with midsized on them, I'm very optimistic that this will help me have lighter grip pressure and allow me to be more consistent.

Midsized feels great. Havent played with them yet, but just swinging them around and chipping with them, they feel really nice. Should be good to go now!

Back