The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd kill for that. Agreed on distance control. Time will help you develop touch.

Didn't think I was going to get a range session in today because I wanted to get my lies adjusted across the set. Sent my cap a pic of the sole marks and he also said that they needed to be brought down. Wasn't comfortable with the flight on many of my irons. I had gone in to get some spin numbers on some shafts on the Bio Cell+ irons and compare them with the shaft Kang let me use in my CMB's. Sent pics of the numbers to Mward and really didn't look at them until after he replied that there was not much difference. Makes a little more sense now.

Went through the 4-PW and as as figured, I needed to bring them down. My CMB's have moved on me since last year and they were all over the place. From my captain's assessment via pics and feedback from a couple guys at the PGASS, I decided 2 degrees flat from standard.

Here are the adjustments that were made (keeping it for future reference and any changes or checks needed):
StandardWas2* FlatDifference
PW63.563.5061.502.00
Was quite surprised at how off they were and the variance between them. The CMB's are pretty soft and have been hitting off mats a lot during the winter.

Wow, did this make a huge difference when I got to the range! Not only was the flight back to where I expected it to be, but distance increased. I held off getting excited about it until I was over half way through the 180 balls. Wasn't a fluke and the distances were consistent. It's not all in the lie, some changes I've made helped too, but getting that set to where it should be (or close) made the confidence come out.

Had 20 or so balls left and my GF was done with her bucket. I asked her to take my range finder and pick any spot she wanted and to give me the yardage. She picked some odd targets that weren't even on the range, just off to the side. A sand pile, a light pole, clear spot in the range with little to no balls, etc.

The yardages varied from 140-210ish and I was picking them a part. I had some misses, but it was the swing falling off somewhat landing short but on target. Most all of them were within 10 yards left-right and almost hit the light pole.

Was a great day...check your your clubs, I know I will be when hitting off mats a lot.

Didn't think I was going to get a range session in today because I wanted to get my lies adjusted across the set. Sent my cap a pic of the sole marks and he also said that they needed to be brought down. Wasn't comfortable with the flight on many of my irons. I had gone in to get some spin numbers on some shafts on the Bio Cell+ irons and compare them with the shaft Kang let me use in my CMB's. Sent pics of the numbers to Mward and really didn't look at them until after he replied that there was not much difference. Makes a little more sense now.

Went through the 4-PW and as as figured, I needed to bring them down. My CMB's have moved on me since last year and they were all over the place. From my captain's assessment via pics and feedback from a couple guys at the PGASS, I decided 2 degrees flat from standard.

Here are the adjustments that were made (keeping it for future reference and any changes or checks needed):
StandardWas2* FlatDifference
PW63.563.5061.502.00
Was quite surprised at how off they were and the variance between them. The CMB's are pretty soft and have been hitting off mats a lot during the winter.

Wow, did this make a huge difference when I got to the range! Not only was the flight back to where I expected it to be, but distance increased. I held off getting excited about it until I was over half way through the 180 balls. Wasn't a fluke and the distances were consistent. It's not all in the lie, some changes I've made helped too, but getting that set to where it should be (or close) made the confidence come out.

Had 20 or so balls left and my GF was done with her bucket. I asked her to take my range finder and pick any spot she wanted and to give me the yardage. She picked some odd targets that weren't even on the range, just off to the side. A sand pile, a light pole, clear spot in the range with little to no balls, etc.

The yardages varied from 140-210ish and I was picking them a part. I had some misses, but it was the swing falling off somewhat landing short but on target. Most all of them were within 10 yards left-right and almost hit the light pole.

Was a great day...check your your clubs, I know I will be when hitting off mats a lot.

We knew for a while they needed bent. Glad its looking good

We knew for a while they needed bent. Glad its looking good

True, but you know me and memory! Now get that hand healed!

True, but you know me and memory! Now get that hand healed!

Yeah I'm about ready to put on a whole tube of super glue on it and play tomorrow lol. Patience...

Yeah I'm about ready to put on a whole tube of super glue on it and play tomorrow lol. Patience...

Yes, let that heal a little before swinging at least. Since I'm leaving town again, going to try a find a tee time tomorrow, you can't come.

I've never been excited for Monday to roll around so I can get back to work like this before, I love this feeling.

It's going to be a good week Jman.

Wow! I had an absolutely atrocious range session. Worst ever. I was actually glad when I reached the end of the 2nd bucket. Gotta toss that crap session in the garbage.

Yes, let that heal a little before swinging at least. Since I'm leaving town again, going to try a find a tee time tomorrow, you can't come.

Oh boo! Have fun productive round!

After tireless deliberation in my own head and on THP I decided that I'm going to see a new pro. He's well known around here and has a lot of demonstrated success. He also likes to work with what golfers already have which is what sold me on him. I realize that I need to make a change and I'm hoping this is the right one. Lesson 1 is tomorrow.

3 hours at the range/practice green today. Warmed up a bit before my lesson. I am trying out a couple of the pros at my club to see which I like the best so I just scheduled a 30min lesson. To start Chris watched my hit roughly 10 shots. He made some general comments and took some video. He finally stopped me to show me a few of my swings. He commented that my grip and setup looked really good. Then came the ugly, I was taking the club back way inside and at the top my OTT move had me swinging out to in. I had seen this swing before and every time my hands start to move forward in the downswing I cringe. Chris said the move wasn't that bad and certainly something we can fix.

First change, take the club back more on the target line and keep the club head outside of my hands. We rehearsed this several time before taking some full swings. I wasn't seeing much improvement but Chris explained that the proper take away will blend into the full swing in a more natural way compared to how I was taking it away at the start.

Once the take away had been ingrained a bit Chris explained how a simple wrist hinge put me in the perfect position at the top. To help with the OTT move Chris guided my arms into the position to start the downswing and it was easy to understand how my arms should work through the swing. A drill we used to focus on swinging in to out was put a tee in front of the ball to the right and try to hit the tee after impact. This was a new drill for me and I think I like it better the avoiding an object placed behind the ball and outside.

When it was all said and done I definitely was making a different swing. On good strikes I was hitting the ball higher, farther and even with a little draw (only a couple times). I'm gonna schedule another lesson in a couple weeks and am very excited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Exactly the same thing noticed with my first lesson. You will definitely know when you have your takeaway and top position right. Your arms will feel it in the morning.

How was your club face at impact with your old swing? Based on my first lesson my pro said getting the club face square at impact is going to be the hardest change of my new swing.

Good luck!

Really working on my putting stroke lately. Short game really came through for me during my new PB round. I recently went back to my Ping Scottsdale TR from my SeeMore. I've enjoyed using the forward press lately and the SeeMore just isn't made for that, so I made the change. The birdieball green has been huge for my practice game lately. I've been putting in the hole reduction insert that makes the hole about the size of the baseball, maybe even a little smaller. It's helped a ton and I'm excited to see how this helps me out on the course. My speed has been great lately and I really want to start making the majority of my putts from inside of 10 ft.

Haven't been in this thread very much the past week so it's time to get a few of my thoughts down on paper as we (FINALLY) move into golf season here in PA.

So just over a week ago we I had my last lesson and changed quite a few small things that were gunking up the entire final product of my swing. One thing I wanted to focus on was where I was aiming (or at least where I thought I was aiming). Here is the thing, ever since I started playing golf, I've had a pretty dramatic slice. Last year, we put a few band aids on the swing to help get me to a 17 HCP for the MC, and for the most part, I played pretty well. I went from shooting over 100 to high 80's by the end of last summer. Back to the slice though, I've always seemed to play the right side of the course so I tended to aim a bit more left of the target line to help "compensate" for that.

So we altered the way I setup. Instead of scanning from left to right to get to the target, I scan from right to left and set up that way. The first few times I did it, it seemed like I was going to push the ball in the trees along the right side of the fairway. Instead, I hit it dead straight at the flag with a bit of a draw. Couldn't believe it. Fast forward to a range session before Sunday's round. Lined myself up where I thought I was right on the target, and then angled myself just a bit more to (what I thought) was the right. Results were incredible, I was hitting crisp iron shots that were launching beautifully. I was seeing height out of my DPCs that I had never seen before.

After a few shots, I lined myself up, made that little adjustment slightly more to the right, and laid down a club along my feet. Stepped back, and sure enough the club was lined up directly at the flag. This setup actually helped path much more as well, instead of divots being angled left, they were straight at the target. Fast forward to the round and I literally hit one iron shot poorly the entire round. One of my good friends who I play with a lot said to me "Your ball flight is so much different this year, it's like the ball penetrates upward and then lands softly." It was kind of cool for him to notice it. On top of that, he always would beat me on the course and we walked out of that round with dueling 43s.

I'm just very happy that it seems like it has all come together now that I am hitting the course. I have a preshot setup (routine) that is giving me consistent impact and results and it's starting to become automatic. I'm not sitting there saying "What is this one gonna do?" or "Am I going to hit this flush?" Another nice thing is when something does go wrong, I know exactly what happened and know what to do to fix it. I am excited to see what the next few months are able to produce with a refined short game and better rolling greens (lumpy, shaggy April greens are no fun.)

Planning on hitting the range Tuesday or Wednesday to work on my 100 yards and in game which is rusty. Lesson with video capture Thursday which I'm excited for, then a round Saturday . Should be a good week

Worked through a large bucket today. As with my most recent sessions I just went through the bag hitting a few balls with each club and then spent the majority of the time hitting short approaches into the greens and working on chipping/pitching with various clubs. All good, happy with pretty much my entire game right now apart from having zero fairway wood skills...Off the tee its a killer but I simply cannot hit it iff the turf.

played 9 yesterday and my full swing was in pretty good shape ....but...... i will be on short game duty until u see some improvement chipping and piching need help. im going to try working with different clubs and one stock chip. because me and the 60* just arent getting it done.

Haven't been in this thread very much the past week so it's time to get a few of my thoughts down on paper as we (FINALLY) move into golf season here in PA.

So just over a week ago we I had my last lesson and changed quite a few small things that were gunking up the entire final product of my swing. One thing I wanted to focus on was where I was aiming (or at least where I thought I was aiming). Here is the thing, ever since I started playing golf, I've had a pretty dramatic slice. Last year, we put a few band aids on the swing to help get me to a 17 HCP for the MC, and for the most part, I played pretty well. I went from shooting over 100 to high 80's by the end of last summer. Back to the slice though, I've always seemed to play the right side of the course so I tended to aim a bit more left of the target line to help "compensate" for that.

So we altered the way I setup. Instead of scanning from left to right to get to the target, I scan from right to left and set up that way. The first few times I did it, it seemed like I was going to push the ball in the trees along the right side of the fairway. Instead, I hit it dead straight at the flag with a bit of a draw. Couldn't believe it. Fast forward to a range session before Sunday's round. Lined myself up where I thought I was right on the target, and then angled myself just a bit more to (what I thought) was the right. Results were incredible, I was hitting crisp iron shots that were launching beautifully. I was seeing height out of my DPCs that I had never seen before.

After a few shots, I lined myself up, made that little adjustment slightly more to the right, and laid down a club along my feet. Stepped back, and sure enough the club was lined up directly at the flag. This setup actually helped path much more as well, instead of divots being angled left, they were straight at the target. Fast forward to the round and I literally hit one iron shot poorly the entire round. One of my good friends who I play with a lot said to me "Your ball flight is so much different this year, it's like the ball penetrates upward and then lands softly." It was kind of cool for him to notice it. On top of that, he always would beat me on the course and we walked out of that round with dueling 43s.

I'm just very happy that it seems like it has all come together now that I am hitting the course. I have a preshot setup (routine) that is giving me consistent impact and results and it's starting to become automatic. I'm not sitting there saying "What is this one gonna do?" or "Am I going to hit this flush?" Another nice thing is when something does go wrong, I know exactly what happened and know what to do to fix it. I am excited to see what the next few months are able to produce with a refined short game and better rolling greens (lumpy, shaggy April greens are no fun.)

Good on you dude. I need a set of eyes to look at my alignment rigth now as well. I basically set myself up the opposite as you did last year to guard against my miss and it's causing some issues on the course.

Nothing like a lunch time grind session

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love reading that Brad!

Lots of golf planned for this weekend. Going back to where my roots for some fun rounds. I'm going to focus in practice on what's working well for me in terms of swingthoughts. Basically, if I can feel that right foot roll over I'm hitting the ball solidly and straight. Not hitting it all that far right now, but I'm going to let that come as I get more comfortable. Certainly some weather related issues there too. Wide takeaway and the foot starts everything. If and when I get that more automatic I'll work on adding speed.

Feel like my short game is going to help me along during this transition witht the swing and maybe one day it will all be good at the same time.

Not sure if it will happen today or more realistically tomorrow (wife has been sick for a few days now), but I really want to tinker with ball position a little on my short game. Kept it primarily in the back and was obviously htting more line drives onto the greens, which was tough for me to predict how much roll etc I would see.

When I was "lobbing" them in it was when I opened up the face more and had ball in the middle.

Ideally I would prefer not to go that route so want to try just my normal setup and swing but maybe with the ball closer to middle and see how much more elevation if any it produces and help minimize the rollout.

Pretty awesome week coming up. Tonight is the range to work out any bugs in my swing before starting league tomorrow. Wednesday evening is my first lesson, and then I'm planning on playing this weekend. Starting the golf season off with a bang!

Lots of golf planned for this weekend. Going back to where my roots for some fun rounds. I'm going to focus in practice on what's working well for me in terms of swingthoughts. Basically, if I can feel that right foot roll over I'm hitting the ball solidly and straight. Not hitting it all that far right now, but I'm going to let that come as I get more comfortable. Certainly some weather related issues there too. Wide takeaway and the foot starts everything. If and when I get that more automatic I'll work on adding speed.

Feel like my short game is going to help me along during this transition witht the swing and maybe one day it will all be good at the same time.

We talked a bit about this this morning but now that my hand is feeling better I am itching to get out and play/practice. Going to try to hit the range tonight if the weather holds up.

Not sure if it will happen today or more realistically tomorrow (wife has been sick for a few days now), but I really want to tinker with ball position a little on my short game. Kept it primarily in the back and was obviously htting more line drives onto the greens, which was tough for me to predict how much roll etc I would see.

When I was "lobbing" them in it was when I opened up the face more and had ball in the middle.

Ideally I would prefer not to go that route so want to try just my normal setup and swing but maybe with the ball closer to middle and see how much more elevation if any it produces and help minimize the rollout.

If the ball is in the back of your stance and you are thinning or hitting line drives on short game its usually one of two things. Well it could be many things, but in my experience with THPers its 2 things.

1. Breaking wrists on take away and then when you come back to the ball, its a flip and decel.
2. You know the ball is getting close so you want to try to help it in the air by lifting body up and in case thinning the shot.

For someone with a great sense of speed in putting, it should really be a rather simple move for you assuming you can keep your wrists still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back