PAYPAL "gifted"....Yes or no, what say Ye?

To be honest Smalls I never gave it a second thought. I've not had an issue. And the number of issues on THP are minimal.

I've never bought anything on here, but I don't think I would do that. No reputation is a big deal to me, especially when it looks like the only reason they are here is to sell things. At least on ebay you can read people's feedback and are able to make a somewhat informed decision.

I would trust SO many people on this site in the marketplace. But the ones who get their posts in and start selling would raise a flag with me. Especially if they requested that I send the money as a gift.

I wouldn't call it untrusting, I'd call it cautious. Like I said, this would've been my 1st transaction here. I know nobody and have read nightmare stories on 1 other forum in particular and already see one here in this thread. It also protects the seller.

If you check your friend requests and accept, you'll know at least one person here :)

If you check your friend requests and accept, you'll know at least one person here :)

I haven't figured out all the ins and outs of the site yet either. I'm not sure how I got the double quote in my previous post. :act-up:

I'll get right on it and thanks.

I haven't figured out all the ins and outs of the site yet either. I'm not sure how I got the double quote in my previous post. :act-up:

You clicked the quote symbol with the + sign in both of our posts.

No problem, and you're welcome. One of the best parts of the forum is welcoming newcomers and you're no exception. Love seeing new members become big contributors. Welcome to THP and I hope you can find your way around it well.

This is a very interesting topic. I sent one payment to a know seller on here through PP as a gift. And another to someone on here trough PP as a gift without being asked to, I just did it.
I'm awaiting the first order of my ball marker. The second transaction went very smoothly.

Can someone tell me the seller fees if the payment isn't a "gift"?

This is a very interesting topic. I sent one payment to a know seller on here through PP as a gift. And another to someone on here trough PP as a gift without being asked to, I just did it.
I'm awaiting the first order of my ball marker. The second transaction went very smoothly.

Can someone tell me the seller fees if the payment isn't a "gift"?

I think it's right around 3%.

If you are making a purchase through PayPal and you do that....It is circumventing the rules for PayPal.
I wouldn't do it for anyone. It's just as good as stealing from PayPal.
I know that if you had a business and someone figured a way out of paying for your services, you would not be happy.

I just read the rules and if you send money as a gift for an item it's not covered. I did not know this so it changes things a bit.

'Purchase Protection also does not cover items that you purchase in person, or money you send to friends and family'

I will do it on here.

I wont do it anywhere else, as a buyer I wouldnt be covered by their "protection" (which is a crock and a whole other argument)on anything I was buying

I have done gifted payments on PP for THP members because I trust them. It makes sense for you to not want to gift it if you don't know/trust the person though. I definitely trust THPers so I gift it to them.

I gifted money to Damaikis two weeks ago for a club from the WTB, FS FT section and everything worked out great.. I would do it for people from Hackers cause I trust them but not just for random people from ebay or anything like that..

Interesting topic as I just sold something and asked the buyer to gift me the money. Ha! I guess he thought I was trust worthy (BTW, it's going out today, promise!!!) I have mixed feelings about this regarding the business Paypay, the buyer, the seller, etc. So many different ways to look at it but in the end it just comes down to who the buyer and seller are to each other. If there is a risk, then do the transaction by the book. If you are friends then gift away. Just really depends.

If you are making a purchase through PayPal and you do that....It is circumventing the rules for PayPal.
I wouldn't do it for anyone. It's just as good as stealing from PayPal.
I know that if you had a business and someone figured a way out of paying for your services, you would not be happy.

Does this not bother anyone else? Would fall in the line of honor and integrity I would think.

Not a chance. I would have to know the person and absolutely trust them. I did it last week for War Eagle because I trust him.

This^^^Except for the War Eagle thing. He has a beard and it makes me think he is hiding something so I don't trust that guy...hahaha

This^^^Except for the War Eagle thing. He has a beard and it makes me think he is hiding something so I don't trust that guy...hahaha

That's nice to know. I'll flip a coin if the situation ever presents itself.:thankyou:

I have used the gifted option, even though the one time I used PP to pay a transaction here I was not asked to. Just seemed to be the right thing to do.

I have done it as well. Not every transaction, but if I have dealt with someone prior, or see they have been around a while I usually offer. AC membership also helps, and you can look in the feedback thread.

Sorry, I will not ever use gifted funds. If the seller wants fees covered, I would rather pay more then even risk the possibility of an issue.

I also never gift funds unless it's to close friends or family. The fees are never great enough for me to take the risk

I just figure fees are part of the deal when i sell something

I never ask someone to gift. Some THPers have when they bought from me and I thought it was a nice gesture. I've had a couple sellers ask me to gift and so long as they're well established, it's not a ton of money and there's a level of mutual trust, I'm fine with it. With all that said, it's something I'd be very careful with.

I am scared to gift funds, but will if someone asks. However, I will never do it just out of kindness.

I got burnt on a $1000 laptop one time by gifting funds.

I've had limited experience on here and have had no problems with this. I guess I just trusted my sellers to come through on their end. When I've sold stuff I've had a couple gifts and a nice THP'er who bumped up the amount sent so I still received my asking price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never gift things nor do I ask a buyer. The fees and protection are worth their weight/money IMO.

Back