Amateur strokes and my best round yet...

PAGolfGal

Reaction score
Hello THP gang -

This past weekend we played at the same course both days (Deer Valley in Hummelstown, PA). Saturday was cold and super windy which didn't help my game at all; I couldn't relax being chilled to the bones even with Under Armor on, so I stopped keeping score. LOL. But on Sunday… for me… I had played my best game yet! Now, please don't laugh or chuckle TOO much or loud… but, I golfed a 132. LOL. Yes, I realize that is a pathetic score when playing competitively, but for a gal that doesn't even have a year under her belt into the game… I had to share my proud accomplishment! :)

My goal for 2014 is to be in the low 120s on a consistant basis. It'll take some time for me to get below 100 strokes… But, I'm up for the challenge! :)

So, what were your scores like when you first began playing? And how long did it take you to get below 100 strokes??

Thanks!

Very Best,
Kelly :)

Love to see the enthusiasm!

I think my first round was 130 something. 7-8 months later I shot a 120 at a THP event in FL. Later that year I broke 100, so I'd say a little over a year? You'll find that once you get better at some things you drop quite a few strokes.

Congrats.
I played short courses when I first started, so scores werent comparable. But getting a personal best is great news.

Awesome!!!! Congrats on your personal best. Lowest score ever and with your new clubs, that's awesome. My mom just picked up the game recently and is trying to break 120 as well. Just take your time, work on fundamentals and it'll come. Lessons will also greatly help if you aren't already taking some. Here's to breaking 120!

Congrats on the PB and good luck with the season!

Congratulations on the great round Kelly! You have set a good goal and look to be well on your way of achieving it.

For me, I started playing at cow pastures that were not close to what I play at now, but I would say I was probably around 100 consistently with my baseball swing. It took about 1 season for me to take a firm grasp on the 90s and even some high 80s.

Congrats!!! Is hummelstown near huntingdon, pa?

Congrats on the personal best! Sounds like you have good, realistic goals.

I honestly don't remember how long it took to get under 100, it was years ago as a kid playing 9 hole courses.

It's not the score, it's the journey. Congrats keep working and the scores will fall.

Awesome!!!! Congrats on your personal best. Lowest score ever and with your new clubs, that's awesome. My mom just picked up the game recently and is trying to break 120 as well. Just take your time, work on fundamentals and it'll come. Lessons will also greatly help if you aren't already taking some. Here's to breaking 120!

Thank you! :) Funny that you mentioned lessons… I do plan to purchase a lesson package this week by Lorraine Klippel and am very anxious to have her help me. I do want to be competitive at this sport - I'm just that way by nature (competitive) and it would be fabulous to beat my husband some day! LOL. :)

Congrats on the PB Kelly!

I know it took me a while to break 100, let alone break 100 consistently. Once I started playing on a regular basis after college, my scores started to drop. I wish I would have taken lessons earlier, too. That would have helped me improve more quickly.

Congrats!!! Is hummelstown near huntingdon, pa?

I don't believe so; I think Huntingdon is out towards western PA? Hummelstown is a municipality that borders Hershey (the sweetest place on earth!) in south central PA. We have an odd way of describing the geography here. LOL. :)

Thank you! :) Funny that you mentioned lessons… I do plan to purchase a lesson package this week by Lorraine Klippel and am very anxious to have her help me. I do want to be competitive at this sport - I'm just that way by nature (competitive) and it would be fabulous to beat my husband some day! LOL. :)

I think that's a great idea. It'll really help you improve and just love the game even more.

I don't believe so; I think Huntingdon is out towards western PA? Hummelstown is a municipality that borders Hershey (the sweetest place on earth!) in south central PA. We have an odd way of describing the geography here. LOL. :)

Right on. I'm from PA and have friends in your area. Great spot for sure :)

Right on. I'm from PA and have friends in your area. Great spot for sure :)

Awesome! Where are you from in PA? Harrisburg burbs here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congrats on the PB! One thing I think it is important to remember is that it's not necessarily how *long* you've been playing, but how *much*. Lessons, etc. will certainly help you progress more quickly, but practice is also key. For example, my wife first picked up a golf club a few months ago but has yet to play her first full round of golf. My dad and I started playing at about the same time last year and we shot very similar scores back then, but he plays maybe once every 2-3 weeks. I play at least twice per week, sometimes more :). So now my scores are much lower than his even though the calendar says the same for both of us. The last time out I beat him by 30+ strokes... he was discouraged by that but I reminded him that I've played close to 10x as many rounds as he has.

As long as you're having fun doing it, I think the time to get under 100 isn't all that important :)

congrats on the PB! One thing I think it is important to remember is that it's not necessarily how *long* you've been playing, but how *much*. Lessons, etc. will certainly help you progress more quickly, but practice is also key. For example, my wife first picked up a golf club a few months ago but has yet to play her first full round of golf. My dad and I started playing at about the same time last year and we shot very similar scores back then, but he plays maybe once every 2-3 weeks. I play at least twice per week, sometimes more :). So now my scores are much lower than his even though the calendar says the same for both of us. The last time out I beat him by 30+ strokes... he was discouraged by that but I reminded him that I've played close to 10x as many rounds as he has.

As long as you're having fun doing it, I think the time to get under 100 isn't all that important :)

Great advice; thank you! ?

Last March my husband bought me a boxed set of clubs from Dick's and had me at the driving range a few times a week for months before he took me out to play 18 holes. He was also taking me at the time to a Par 3 Chip n Putt course to get the feel.

My hubby's in a golf league so he always gets to play nine holes more than me a week. But, as long as the weather is fair - we are out both days over the weekend. I'd love to get out more than twice a week, but it's difficult to get out in the evening. ?

Congratulations on your personal best. Its easy to see from your enthusiasm that you like what you are doing. Keep up the good work!

JM

Congratulations on the personal best! Been so long since I started, but I'm sure I didn't break 100 the first year.

Awesome! Where are you from in PA? Harrisburg burbs here.

South of Pittsburgh for me. I went to Pitt-Johnstown so I have a boatload of friends around H-burg/Hershey.

That's awesome congrats! Keep at it and you will be below 100 sooner than you think!

When I first started out I was in the 110-120 range. I was lucky in that when I first started playing golf I worked at a golf course and had an awesome boss who gave me free lessons. I was down to the mid/low 90's within 2-3 months, but I was also hitting range balls and playing pretty much every day.

South of Pittsburgh for me. I went to Pitt-Johnstown so I have a boatload of friends around H-burg/Hershey.

Awesome! Washington County? Over the years, I've come to know a lot of folks from all over PA due to the nature of my job and think that the southwestern PA area is so pretty. I plan to golf out there in July while attending a conference; though not sure where the outing is yet. :)

Anyway - nice to meet you, EaglevsFalcon! :)

Awesome! Washington County? Over the years, I've come to know a lot of folks from all over PA due to the nature of my job and think that the southwestern PA area is so pretty. I plan to golf out there in July while attending a conference; though not sure where the outing is yet. :)

Anyway - nice to meet you, EaglevsFalcon! :)

Not quite Wash Co. My town is in that little nipple of Allegheny Co. Smooshed in between Wash and Westmoreland counties. Very pretty farmland area.

Nice to meet you too :)

Congrats on the PB !
When I first started playing when I was 16 yrs old, I scored in the 120's for 2 years.
The more I played, the lower the scores got. After of couple of years the scores dropped to the 110 range then down to the low 100's.
I think I broke the 100 barrier after about 4 years of playing. I'm sure I could have done it a lot sooner if I could have afforded lessons back then.
You should be proud of your accomplishment !

I'll let you know when it happens... lol. I've been playing on and off for 25 years. Started playing again 2 yeears ago, but then I sold a house, bought a house yada yada, didn't play once last year. Joined a little course by me and my first round over the weekend was a 105. So I expect it to happen very soon, :banana:

Back