New (to me) original Ping Eye irons, 2-SW

tucsonsean

Reaction score
Handicap
I was browsing the local Play-It-Again-Sports yesterday and, out on the sidewalk amid the battered King Snakes, Spauldings, and faux Big Berthas, I found a like new set of original Ping Eye irons 2-SW. They had the original ZZ-Lite shafts and matching numbers. The grips looked original also, but seemed in really good shape. They looked like they'd rarely if ever been played and were only $39, so I bought them. (I'll try to post pics.)

They rate an 826 (super game improvement) on Maltby's playability scale so, despite their age, I knew they should be easy to hit. I took them to the range that afternoon; they were indeed easy to hit. Not a very high trajectory, but even the 2i (18.5*) easily got off the ground. The heads look impossibly small, but then the ball consequently looks huge and impossible to mishit. I'll take them out for a half-round this afternoon. They were $1250 new--very expensive for 1981 when they were sold.

Anyone familiar with these? Any opinions welcome.

Played them, things have come surpassing them by a huge margin in my opinion, but for their time, were a very solid iron. Cant comment on the Maltby scale, because I find it borderline laughable.

Good find and enjoy your new irons.

My dad has a set of these that I'm hoping he'll give to me when he's done with them. For no reason other than they were his.

Played nine today. The 2-iron is a weapon. They're easy to hit solid and straight, but are much shorter, even taking into account the weaker 1980s lofts. They're great chipping and pitching clubs, too. Part of the trouble today was my swing--I apparently left it on the driving range yesterday.

Played them, things have come surpassing them by a huge margin in my opinion, but for their time, were a very solid iron. Cant comment on the Maltby scale, because I find it borderline laughable.

Good find and enjoy your new irons.

I agree. Great find. They were great irons in there day. Game em a little and just hang on to them. Always fun to go out now and then with an old set of clubs. It is for that reason I keep a couple of sets of 30+ year old clubs complete with old bag. I have to back in time now and then just to remind me how far we have come.

The eye 2s still stack up to anything out today. Great find on them bad boys.

New (to me) original Ping Eye irons, 2-SW

For 39$ I would have bought them too. Enjoy them and hit them well! but compare them to the newer pings as well and you will see a difference.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

That is an awesome deal. Good find!

Back