Does a course need to fit your eye?

Thanks for the response. I'd say its time they realize that tree has over grown its purpose if it ever really had one anyway. But taking it down would seem the logical thing to do on a hole with enough integrity anyway. At 420 and also a hard leg its not like that hole needed something extra imo and certainly not something that ridiculous even if it did.

look at that bad boy #16 from the Gold Tees..........we play Blue for tourneys.

CNLrswp.png

I love our traditional, tree lined courses regardless if they have dog legs or hazards either way. I find that to be fun and a challenge. On the flip side, my game and mental capacity is not set up well for links style courses. It's really just a preference thing.

hi guys, i play a course that has 8 blind tee shots, at first it was quite challenging but after a few rounds and knowing when to put the ball my scores have lowered considerably, i find that after a round i like to look over the course and plan ahead for the next round so i know where I've gone wrong and how to avoid making the same mistakes. I've found the more i play a course the better prepared i am for it and it seems easier to get my eye in for shots as i know where i want to put them hope this helps :bashful:

True, to me a course that fits my eye and ball flight, left to right, no draw shots. I'll usually play better. Side note, the more comfortable you are with a course may suck you into trying shots you shouldn't.
Golf gods giveth and taketh, sometimes in the same hole lol.

@bigtazzGOLF
Sent from Big Orange country
using Tapatalk #GoVols

My course barely maintains itself, hence the bald tee box and the uncut trees. At its narrowest, the gap between the trees is only 30 yards. And that's hazard left, and OB right, beyond the trees. It's 275 yards to the two trees at the end of the fairway, dogleg left. Since I've been through fairways like these, no layout anymore "doesn't fit my eye." With fairways like these, it's simple - you miss, you die. My success rate with this fairway has improved, it's about 75% these days.

Nah, I will play any old dog track. I can suck anywhere!!!:ROFLMAO:

Not so much the course. it just seems certain holes get in my head.

The only problem a new to me course gives me is yardages for my second shot. Obviously this is not a problem if the course is well marked.

Off the tee, on a new to me course, I look for a wide open landing zone. I also play away from hazards when ever possible.

Depending on what ever safe landing zone I see, that will tell me what club I want to hit off the tee.

Most of my next shots I treat the same way. This approach will usually cost me a stroke sometimes, but in the long run, my blow up holes are few, and far between.

If I plan on playing a new to me course more than once, I keep some notes on how to play it next time.

not so much the land, but the environment. Some courses I play I get tense just getting in the car. Will we have slow play, will we have delays, x, y and z.

The course I play mostly now I relax when I get in the car. I'm going to have a nice experience in the range, most likely I play in under 4 hours, and I retire to the range at 9 if we have slow play. Totally differnet experience on the course when I get out of my car excited not dreading!!!!

As a lefty, I always feel out of whack on a course until play ot a couple times.
Everything is laid out for the right hand player, sometimes that is an advantage, sometimes the traps and obstacles that are meant to punish "errant" shots are directly in my normal path as a lefty.
It certainly helps if you have a clear view of what the hole is doing.

No I don’t have a preference or favourite course .. regardless of the challenge the hole presents in front of me , it’s just a hole. I don’t shape the ball characteristically, so straight keeps the ball out of harms way.. lol

The game will offer up all sorts of hole designs … finding answers and not letting it influence your game makes for better outcomes

Nope, I often say to people "I'll play anywhere with grass and holes cut into the ground".

I mean it.

Eh….. I’ll play anywhere. The way I look at it, this game’s not supposed to be easy so I have embrace the punishment when it comes…

It does need to fit my eye and normal tee shot (draw) to get around it easier.

For example, I am playing a tournament this Saturday that is at a well flogged muni (Ancil Hoffman - Sacramento) with huge overgrown trees everywhere (even in the fairways) and nearly all the longer holes are (fade) holes - this place usually wears me out as I'll be in the left trees all day long. Even on perfect fairway tee shots there are holes where you'll have to work your second as a fade around a tree to get anywhere near the green.

Here is the Par 4, 422 yd 16th........that tree is right in the middle of the fairway about 215 yds from the tee so most likely if you go right at it - you'll hit it. If you want a decent length approach you have to thread a fade right through that gap on the right. lol

WxOBocg.png

My strategy is going to be using my stiffest shaft in my 9.5 X-hot driver to at least promote some low fades. My normal tee shots were getting massacred there when we did a practice round a few weeks ago.
I hate courses like this. I like having trees overhanging one side of the fairway or the other, but overhanging trees leaving little mail slots to the green are stupid. And they slow play.
Another thing that irks me are holes with the fairway steeply pitched towards a lateral hazard like a river. Plenty of that going on around here. You have to either work the ball into the slope or roll the dice....... Not everyone can work it into the slope..........

Back